Welcome
Welcome to goprouser

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you full access to view most discussions and access.. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements if any. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today! Any issues email [email protected]

9 hours of use plus more

Reliably Power your GoPro, USB, Dummy Battery, etc

9 hours of use plus more

Postby Biffa98 » Wed Oct 22, 2014 8:15 pm

Hi all,

Yesterday I tried a new setup to extend the range of my gopro's and managed to do a 9 hr time lapse (all be it not the most interesting) as a proof of concept.

The final video is here 9hrs down to 3 mins

The setup is as follows

Gopro hero 3 black plus with 32gb card

1 frame taken every 5 seconds (6510 images taken)

Skeleton housing

Power supply was an Anker external battery 10000mah (about £20 on amazon)

To note I also removed the gopro battery as I was concerned about the heat generation from it being constantly on charge and also the Anker automatically cuts out once it detects a fully charged battery to remove this problem from happening and stopping the time lapse before I wanted it to.

From a card point it was close to full with enough space for another 500 images only however with a bigger card more images although that is where the limit will be i believe is in card capacity.

From a power point of view the Anker has 4 lights on it to show how much charge it has left only one light had gone out and looking at its recharge time I estimate it had used about a third of its available power meaning in theory it could run the gopro for about 30 hrs if needed.

As ever thoughts and comments questions welcome.
Biffa98

Re: 9 hours of use plus more

Postby jamesb72 » Sat Nov 29, 2014 11:18 pm

Great info, I got a 10,000mah USB pack for £8 delivered which seems to work fine, its branded Floureon and is a nice design with a smiley face of LED/charge plug on one end and 2A and 1A outputs.

I hadn't thought of removing the battery from gopro, so good tip.
jamesb72

Re: 9 hours of use plus more

Postby chrisnotap » Sat Dec 06, 2014 11:07 am

I wonder if this would work on the H2? I don't understand why this is not a normal option on gopros to do long extended time lapse since we live in a world that is 24hrs. long each day. A great option they should all have! I have a 12v battery that I want to use with the cigarette adapter to usb to the gopro. I have someone snooping my property and I want to time lapse for about 30 hrs.
chrisnotap

Return to GoPro External Power Solutions