Welcome
Welcome to goprouser

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you full access to view most discussions and access.. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements if any. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today! Any issues email [email protected]

Booting a hard-bricked Hero2 camera over USB (EXPERIMENTAL!)

Discuss the HD2 Hero + BacPacs, General, Issues and Trouble Shooting

Re: Booting a hard-bricked Hero2 camera over USB (EXPERIMENT

Postby thD » Sat Apr 13, 2013 11:03 pm

Hello, I have a bricked Go Pro hero2 and I need to repair it
I'm using windows 7 64bits

Basicly i had "unknow device" appear when i plugin USB into the GoPro

I installed gopro-usb-tools-master and now I have in "camera USB Command Mode"
That's awesome news but after that i'm lost to follow instructions:

Preparing the necessary bootstrap files
To prepare the BLD and modified HAL, get the v222 HD2-firmware.bin file and execute the following command:
$ ./prepare-bootstrap HD2-firmware.bin

How can I execute the following command to prepare it? I dont understand, with gpboot.exe ? but when i clic on gpboot.exe nothing happen :roll:

Here is my video to show my black bands in the screen : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mhSYDUvfl7k
thD

Postby evilwombat » Tue Apr 16, 2013 4:23 pm

Hello. Don't click on gpboot.exe directly - this will not work because you have to pass it the arguments on what to do. Read the instructions upthread, but basically you need to open up a Command Prompt window (Start -> Run -> cmd.exe) and type the commands in there. So, use the 'cd' command to change directory to where your stuff is, and type:
prepare-bootstrap.exe HD2-firmware.bin (where HD2-firmware.bin is the v222 firmware file) and this will create the bootstrap files. Then, use the fwunpacker.exe utility (https://github.com/evilwombat/gopro-fw-tools) to unpack the sections:
fwunpacker.exe HD2-firmware.bin
This will unpack the section files. Then, put the camera into USB Command Mode, and type this on the command prompt to boot the RTOS:
gpboot.exe --rtos section_3 (or possibly section_9)
and cross your fingers.
evilwombat

Postby thD » Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:16 pm

Its going well yeah, i performed gpboot.exe --rtos section_3 and something in the LCD appear but after that i get stocked in the main menu in the go pro and i couldnt change anything and i disconnected usb cable and the battery but the go pro wont turn ON.
I'm trying right now to do the gpboot.exe --rtos section_9 !!!

Lets see!!
I saw Bigcache in page 2 and 3 had the same problem as me on this step
edit: after doing the gpboot.exe --rtos section_9 is like the same as section_3 i get stock in the LCD in picture wide mode of the go pro and nothing is responding when pressing butons...

The camera dont appear on cineform even on windows as SD Card.
If i pull off the battery and cable nothing responding.
When i try to press power buton i get black bands in the LCD

Edit: i tried to put autoexe.ash and v222 firmware in the SD Card and now i'm stock at the V222 screen in the go pro just after doing a gpboot.exe --rtos section_9
But when i turn off the GoPro wont turn ON...

When i do the last step i got camera blocked in menu, nothing responding, rebooting and nothinng in the LCD wont turn ON again
i add a video : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bo332bKHARM

What should i do now ?
thD

Postby evilwombat » Fri Apr 19, 2013 4:18 pm

Hmmm... it looks like you are able to load the RTOS over USB, but it is locking up after that. Unfortunately, without visibility into what your RTOS is doing, I am not sure what to say. You can consider double-checking that your herobus connector is clean and free of corrosion, since corrosion of this connector can cause electrical problems for the camera that could then lead to things like this. If you have a 3.3V serial console going, you could try to connect to the camera and see what the output is.... also, you could try downloading gopro's autoexec.ash file (the one with nvd erase_entire pref in it) and see if wiping the settings would allow the RTOS to boot more fully. Sorry I have not been able to look into this further; life is kind of been volatile here for the past few days.
evilwombat

Postby thD » Mon Apr 22, 2013 7:28 pm

Hey Evilwombat !

Image Camera blocked after this...

Image Same, camera blocked in 00 screen...

Image Here nothing responding after doing gpboot.exe --rtos section_3 or section_9 everytime same, nothing responding and if i get out the sdcard i have in the screen NO SD CARD but nothing else

I will check herobus connector today, but I dont have a 3.3V serial console :S
For the autoexec.ash i have downloaded this one : http://software.gopro.com/Firmware/v124 ... ec.ash.zip from this post hero-2-bricked-during-firmware-update-t7987-120.html

But i'm not sure that's the one i need with erase_entire in... sorry been "noob"
It's this one or not? didnt found it... but i tried so much files since 2weeks, but for wiping i have never something in the screen after doing manipulation for wiping...

Have some hope yet...

Edit: Tried yesterday to clean inside the camera with 3 in 1 special application for electrical product but its still the same...
But I couldnt open the camera entirely cause i have one dead screw :S dunno how to open without destroy the HD2.

Please help me, I dont wanna buy another camera, it's quite expensive... :(

Mike :ugeek:
thD

Postby evilwombat » Wed May 01, 2013 6:37 pm

Hello. Hmm. I am not sure what to say in your case. The gpboot output you have uploaded looks good. The fact that the camera is even showing anything at all on the screen is a good sigh - it means that the RTOS was successfully loaded over USB. However, I've never seen the RTOS just "lock up" after being booted - it generally lets autoexec.ash run to try to perform at least some kind of recovery.

At this point, it would be interesting to look at the RTOS serial logs, but since you are not able to open the camera (let alone solder to it), this sounds like it would be difficult. Another option would be to try to boot the standalone Linux image on the camera and try to look at the flash contents via telnet, but this is the least tried method and I only ever used it to poke around a bit, but not actually reflash firmware. (Incidentally, I might be close to getting sdcard support working from within the Linux image, so we may be able to do something like dumping the NAND contents to the sdcard from a good camera and writing it back on a bricked one. Or something).
evilwombat

Postby kitarolivier » Thu May 02, 2013 3:31 am

I may looks like my problem (that I solved with wires and using an usb serial device). After this step, I typed cd c:/ (or something like that), and I go an error. I tried several times, and after a few unsuccessfull tries, it made it. So I could send a command to flash the firmware and the camera was unbricked (thanx again to evilwombat who helped me so much). I came to the conclusion that the sd card needs some time to mount (in some case of brick) and thats why the autoexec fails : the card is unmounted when the autoexec is launched, and nothing happens. That's my opinion, based on my experience.
kitarolivier

Postby thD » Fri May 10, 2013 12:12 am

My gopro is working!!!!

I put autoexec with cd d:/ firmfl prog HD2-firmware.bin in with hd2-firmware.bin file in the root of my sd card
After that i did a gpboot.exe --rtos section_3, waiting few time and didnt rebooted my gopro and i did also the section_9
I waited one hour and after i took my gopro for see what going on and that rebooted and make a sound that the v22 was successfull installed !!!

So fucking great !!! ty EVIL!!!

But now have no sound when recording, any idea? :P
thD

Postby evilwombat » Fri May 10, 2013 7:05 am

Awesome. I am glad this worked :)

I am not sure what to tell you about the sound, other than to check the settings. You may want to try doing a clean install of the v222 firmware (rather that relying just of firmfl) since the "full" update process does a few other extra things. I would put the v222 fw file on a blank, formatted sdcard and initiate an update by holding down some buttons when the camera turns on - this method is described in other places on this site. Just be careful with it, and use a clean card, so you don't end up in the same situation as before :), and don't use fw older than v222 or you will probably also get a brick.
evilwombat

Postby kin » Sat May 11, 2013 5:47 am

Any special way to make windows 7 recognize the camera when connecting it to USB after trashing it with the 222 update? I tried the USB drivers in the zip but no luck.
kin

PreviousNext

Return to GoPro Hero2