Welcome
Welcome to goprouser

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you full access to view most discussions and access.. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements if any. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today! Any issues email goprousergroup@gmail.com

Charging Gopro Hero 3 Battery bacpac

Discuss the HD3 White & Silver + BacPacs, General, Issues and Trouble Shooting. Please read the Stickies inside before posting.

Charging Gopro Hero 3 Battery bacpac

Postby Pixelicous » Wed Jan 16, 2013 5:08 am

Hi all,
New here but I guess I'll be around more from now on :)

I got a hero 3 with the battery bacpac and to charge it I mainly use the original iphone 4 wall charger (that little thing that looks like a over inflated white disk on key).

I've been trying to understand what is the best way to charge the bacpac with least stress on batteries, or just in general as I've been experiencing this:
1. I am not sure after my day skiing I did a 2 hour charge or not, but I am pretty positive that I did, so not to keep the camera without juice while on the shelf.
2. I Connected the battery bacpac to the main body
3. Connected usb cable to the gopro body, the camera started blinking red light
4. Disconnected cable and turned on camera, connected usb cable back to the gopro body
5. it showed a few icons that replaced themselves: usb cable>battery full>battery charging (kept on going)
6. disconnected cable, turned off camera, connected cable to body of camera again, blinking red light again!
7. connected cable to the bacpac now, camera not blinking red and charging the bacpac, at least it seems as the back of it is displaying a blinking icon of the battery level

anyhow, in reply to what i just said or if somebody is just POSITIVE of how it is suppose to charge at its best, I'd be glad to know.

I was also wondering if it is a good idea to use and connect two cables while the bacpac is still connected to the main body..
I thought that if both batteries would get fully charged, the new feature of flowing the electricity between bacpac and vice versa (or is it one way around?) would cause the feature that protects the battery from "over charging" to not work, causing the batteries to get "cooked"?

:?: :?: :?:
Pixelicous

Re: Charging Gopro Hero 3 Battery bacpac

Postby PTCX » Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:08 am

Best practice would be to charge them separately.
If you are pressed for time then buy another charger so you can charge both at the same time,but not connected together.That would be quicker because both units are charging at the same time instead of one and then the other as it is when you connect the bac-pac to the camera and plug the charger into the bac-pac USB port.I'm not sure if the through charging does work yet but I don't like the idea at all.
To charge the camera,turn it Off and then plug the charger into the USB port,the red light should come on (not blinking,solid ON) until the camera is fully charged.
Same with the bac-pac,plug in charger and the red light should come on until it is fully charged.
It's probably a bad idea to have the bac-pac connected to the camera and to have a powered USB cable plugged into each of them.
PTCX

Postby PandaGFX » Wed Jan 16, 2013 5:54 pm

still surprised nobody's yet hacked a jumbo battery in, leaving battery door off
PandaGFX

Postby Aushiker » Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:42 pm

PTCX wrote:That would be quicker because both units are charging at the same time instead of one and then the other as it is when you connect the bac-pac to the camera and plug the charger into the bac-pac USB port.I'm not sure if the through charging does work yet but I don't like the idea at all.

I am not sure you have that quite correct. According to the Battery BacPac manual if one charges via the BacPack, i.e., through charging it, the internal battery is charged first then the BacPac battery, they are not charged at the same time. The charging sequence is the reverse of the battery use sequence which seems logical to me anyway.

Regards
Andrew
Aushiker

Postby PTCX » Sat Feb 16, 2013 4:52 am

Aushiker wrote:
PTCX wrote:That would be quicker because both units are charging at the same time instead of one and then the other as it is when you connect the bac-pac to the camera and plug the charger into the bac-pac USB port.I'm not sure if the through charging does work yet but I don't like the idea at all.

I am not sure you have that quite correct. According to the Battery BacPac manual if one charges via the BacPack, i.e., through charging it, the internal battery is charged first then the BacPac battery, they are not charged at the same time. The charging sequence is the reverse of the battery use sequence which seems logical to me anyway.

Regards
Andrew

I think you have misunderstood what I wrote.
What I meant was,use two chargers,one plugged into the camera and one plugged into the bac-pac.With the camera separated from the bac-pac.
For example,charge the camera in the kitchen and charge the bac-pac in the lounge room.
Charging both at the same time but separately will get both fully charged in less time than it takes to charge one and then the other,whether using the charge through method,which I don't like and have never found it to work properly, or by only using one charger.
Follow?
PTCX

Postby mikerb » Sat Feb 16, 2013 9:48 am

through charging does not work and is awaiting a firmware update. As per PTCX I prefer to charge each separately.....and outside the camera.
mikerb

Postby Aushiker » Sat Feb 16, 2013 12:17 pm

PTCX wrote:I think you have misunderstood what I wrote.
What I meant was,use two chargers,one plugged into the camera and one plugged into the bac-pac.With the camera separated from the bac-pac.
For example,charge the camera in the kitchen and charge the bac-pac in the lounge room.
Charging both at the same time but separately will get both fully charged in less time than it takes to charge one and then the other,whether using the charge through method,which I don't like and have never found it to work properly, or by only using one charger.
Follow?

Got it.

Andrew
Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Sat Feb 16, 2013 12:20 pm

mikerb wrote:through charging does not work and is awaiting a firmware update. As per PTCX I prefer to charge each separately.....and outside the camera.

I have a Hero3 Black Edition which I got this week. I haven't updated the firmware to the December version but the retailer may have done it. I didn't check the camera's animated icon but plugging in the USB cable to the BacPac turned the red light on the camera to indicate charging. That suggests at least something is happening.

Will check it more closely when I use it again and see it if charges both batteries.

Anderw
Aushiker

Postby Pilothouse » Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:47 am

Hi I am thinking of buying a bac pac for my black hd3 could anyone tell me is the battery removalable from the bac pac and is it the same battery as in the camera please?
Pilothouse

Postby Aushiker » Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:08 am

Pilothouse wrote:Hi I am thinking of buying a bac pac for my black hd3 could anyone tell me is the battery removalable from the bac pac and is it the same battery as in the camera please?

Hi

The battery is removable and no it is not the same battery as the internal one. The external battery case is designed to allow its attachment to the GoPro body.

This is the internal battery

and this is the GoPro Hero3 Battery BacPac Battery

Andrew
Aushiker

Next

Return to HD3 Hero White & Silver Editions