Welcome
Welcome to goprouser

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you full access to view most discussions and access.. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements if any. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today! Any issues email [email protected]

cheap telephoto lens?

Anti-fog, Anti-Spot Caps, Filters, Polarizers, Macros, Lenses etc. NO Camera issues Please.

cheap telephoto lens?

Postby 3D87C4 » Sat Mar 26, 2016 3:53 pm

Has anyone tinkered with the cheap 2x telephoto lenses advertised on Amazon? I'm tinkering with a 3D beam splitter and thing it might help.

Here's one I'm looking at

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B017K7 ... _i=desktop
3D87C4

Re: cheap telephoto lens?

Postby flareside » Sat Mar 26, 2016 11:16 pm

Checking the reviews on the Neewer labeled version of the same thing, shows it's probably not worth the effort.

http://www.amazon.com/Neewer-Definition ... geNumber=2 Scroll down to the review from February 9.
flareside

Postby sidd finch » Sun Mar 27, 2016 1:18 am

You will need to put the camera in narrow mode so you do not see the edges of the lens. This will cut down your options of what settings you can use. The lens is really designed for wide angle so telephoto lenses will not work too well. By contrast a macro set up in narrow mode works quite well for Macro use.

Sidd
sidd finch

Postby bgbazz » Sun Mar 27, 2016 3:14 am

That's quite right Sidd...I'm currently messing with an adapter to allow me to use my H3B with my spotting scope. I can get the magnified picture really well, but some adjustments (very small increments) are necessary to remove the vignetting (edges of the lens). My scope works between 15X and 60X magnification, but I'd be happy to get it perfect at around 25 - 30X. Needs a good sunny day to get the light balance right. On the other hand, my macro has a very large diameter and the edges never get in the way.
bgbazz

Postby 3D87C4 » Sun Mar 27, 2016 7:04 am

In my application---using a 3D beam splitter on the front of a gopro---the gopro field of view is far wider than I need. Here is a frame grab of what the gopro sees through the beam splitter at 1080 narrow:

The usable left and right images are about 500x900 pixels, each. I shot a test clip in 2K medium and got the same usable image area. I can tolerate some vignetting if I can get more pixels per image by zooming.

bgbazz, what adapter are you using? Does it have a filter ring on the front? If so, what size is it? I have to use 52mm filter ring adapters to attach the beam splitter to the camera:

In case you haven't stumbled on it already, I have a thread in the 3D section with more pictures and some video clips:

3d-beam-splitter-on-a-gopro-t23087.html
3D87C4

Return to GoPro Clear Vision