Welcome
Welcome to goprouser

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you full access to view most discussions and access.. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements if any. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today! Any issues email goprousergroup@gmail.com

Clicking - but not the usual one, camera is stationery

Discuss External Mics, Recorders, etc. No Camera Issues Please.

Re: Clicking - but not the usual one, camera is stationery

Postby stevepud » Mon Aug 12, 2013 8:38 pm

OK, been away in the car, and it's worse. There is the same clicking but also quite a bit of static sounding interference too.

Came back and completely wrapped the mic and the cable in aluminium foil. Now, surprisingly the mics picked up my voice pretty well AND it did cut down on some of the interference. Its still there but it's a fair bit quieter.
You can see/hear the difference here....

I think it's time to consider new cables. I was going to get one from Hobby Mounts, but showing as no stock. When are you expecting some in please?
Shame that Nigel's not in the UK....
If Hobby Mounts dont have any soon, i'll go to one of the local authorised retailers and get a genuine one...
If that fixes it I'll be sending the combos back for an exchange - they're only 8 months old and not really been used till now.

Rambo, I wonder if it's because there is quite a lot of exposed metal on the combo cable?
There are 4 exposed ports on there all possibly acting like antennae?

Course the thing I liked about the combo was being able to power the camera externally AND have a mic - for when I was recording in the car... :(
stevepud

Postby mikerb » Tue Aug 13, 2013 6:43 am

Steve....DECT phones ( wireless) in the UK have to adhere to BSI standards for non interference...unlike damned mobile phones!

Poor quality cables with inadequate shielding is your most likely culprit in my view. That also applies to the separation provided within the cable between circuits. If you are going to scrap the combo cable anyway...why not try breaking it open and shielding each individual wire?

Try some of this professional shielding

http://solutions.3m.co.uk/wps/portal/3M ... Shielding/
mikerb

Postby stevepud » Tue Aug 13, 2013 7:09 am

mikerb wrote:Steve....DECT phones ( wireless) in the UK have to adhere to BSI standards for non interference...unlike damned mobile phones!

Poor quality cables with inadequate shielding is your most likely culprit in my view. That also applies to the separation provided within the cable between circuits. If you are going to scrap the combo cable anyway...why not try breaking it open and shielding each individual wire?

Try some of this professional shielding

http://solutions.3m.co.uk/wps/portal/3M ... Shielding/

Nice one, thanks Mike...
I might pull one apart and shield each one (eventually)...
stevepud

Postby stevepud » Tue Aug 13, 2013 4:22 pm

Rambo wrote:Maybe the power socket and cable within the combo cable is carrying the dirty interference, possibly explains why the mic only adapter is clean.

We're the combo cables GoPro or after market?

genuine GoPro
stevepud

Postby stevepud » Tue Aug 13, 2013 6:41 pm

Rambo wrote:
stevepud wrote:
Rambo wrote:Maybe the power socket and cable within the combo cable is carrying the dirty interference, possibly explains why the mic only adapter is clean.

We're the combo cables GoPro or after market?

genuine GoPro

Ok, the issues other Extn mic users were having were GoPro ones.
hmm, definitely worth me picking up a mic (only) adapter. At least then I'll know if it was the cable.
stevepud

Postby stevepud » Tue Aug 13, 2013 7:38 pm

I've also updated one of the camera's firmware. No different.

Well it is definitely either the combo cables or the mics.
I've used the GoPro app on my Galaxy S3 without the combo cable/mics and it was fine.

So as soon as I can get my hands on a genuine GoPro mic adapter I'll try it and update.
Then the next challenge is to find/make a mic adapter with shielded power so I can run external power and a mic - why o why didn't GoPro make this cable as well? The combo is far too bulky and unnecessary much of the time.
stevepud

Postby stevepud » Thu Aug 15, 2013 11:47 pm

Well, I ordered the official GoPro mic adapter through Hobby MOunts and it's arrived, tested and I'm still not happy.

Its the same with this cable - so it HAS to be the cameras right.

Now to contact GoPro about it

cheers for your suggestions guys and also to Paul at Hobby Mounts - great price and quick delivery too :)
stevepud

Postby stevepud » Fri Aug 23, 2013 10:23 pm

I think I've got mine sorted.
Had an email from Bryan at GoPro suggesting that non powered mics were the issue - despite me having the same interference on the 2 powered lavaliers that Rambo recommended months ago.

I was just about to give up and box them up to return them when I found an old powered mic.
I tried the powered mic and no cracking.
I put new batteries in the 2 other powered mics i have that was cracking before, and on one there is no cracking. On the other there is still issues.

So it seems that possibly both of my non powered stereo mics are either buggered or just crap, and one of the powered lavalier mics is faulty.

Either way, i've now got to find, and save up for a pair of decent powered mics :(

Not enough to have over a grands worth (££) of GoPro kit and accessories that I've now got to spend another chunk of money to get decent audio :(
stevepud

PreviousNext

Return to GoPro Audio