Welcome
Welcome to goprouser

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you full access to view most discussions and access.. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements if any. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today! Any issues email [email protected]

Clicking - but not the usual one, camera is stationery

Discuss External Mics, Recorders, etc. No Camera Issues Please.

Clicking - but not the usual one, camera is stationery

Postby stevepud » Mon Aug 12, 2013 8:31 am

So I'm getting REALLY frustrated now....

Basically, I've got 2 of everything....
2x Go Pro Blacks.
2x 32GB Sandisk Ultras.
2x Combo cable.
2x 'Sound preofessional' stereo mics.
2x Auto-Technica ATR3350 Lavallier mics.
Galaxy S3 with Official Go Pro App (2.0.94), and RemoteGo (1.4.1) app.
iPad3 with Go Pro app.(v1.1.13)

No matter what combination of kit I try, I'm getting this level of noise interference on both cameras.

I put in the 10inch extension cable to remove any tension on any cables etc.

I'm just baffled. Right now, the test i'm carrying out has the camera sitting in the Frame housing, on a pole.
I've walked about the house and it makes that noise.
I've sat still with the camera/pole just leaning against the table. It just won't stop.
Its 100% not a mechanical noise.
It does this when I'm running the RemoteGo app, GoPro app on a Galaxy S3 and also an iPad 3.

WITHOUT the wifi turned on, and it's fine on internal and external mic. No clicking, just a little background hiss which I can live with.
WIFI on, using the GoPro remote buttons, and also fine on internal and external mics...

So basically, something to do with Wifi from my devices isnt playing nicely.

Has anyone else experienced this, or got any suggestions as to what I might try next please?
Unfortunately I cant afford to get an external recorder.

Cameras are not on the very latest FW - I can update if needed as I'm never going to use Protune so the 35MB/s limit with impact negatively on me.

Cheers

Steve
stevepud

Re: Clicking - but not the usual one, camera is stationery

Postby Rambo » Mon Aug 12, 2013 8:39 am

I don't have this noise with a similar setup. But these are the differences between your equip and mine.

I don't have the extension cable.
    I have the mic adapter not the combo.
    I have the updated FW. ( and GoPro list an audio fix in the FW update log

How close is the iPad/Phone to any cabling or the mics when wifi is on?

Reason I ask, when in Tahiti last year I was recording an interview with a $600 Pro shotgun mic connected to Zoom. A reporter with a cell phone transmitting live voice placed the phone 300 mm away from my mic, it total trashed my recording with radio noise exactly like on your recording. Same " motorboating" sound, same static.

Wifi and cell phones are different freqs and cell has much higher TX power, but could still be causing the issue.

Keep trying different changes/ combos till you isolate the problem.
Rambo
Site Admin

Postby mikerb » Mon Aug 12, 2013 9:28 am

So either the wifi transmitting signal or the cell transmitting signal from the Galaxy/IPAD is being picked up by the mics. If your cell signal is relatively poor at whatever location you are running this test it will be constantly hunting....try a different location where you know the cell signal is strong. Otherwise it looks like you need to find a way to shield the mics and/or the cables that connect them, from the wifi/cell transmissions. It is amazing that very little effort has been made by manufacturers of a whole range of audio equipment to prevent them picking up mobile phone interference.
mikerb

Postby Hobby Mounts » Mon Aug 12, 2013 10:08 am

Do you get this noise only while recording at home or while you're out and about too?
The UK's largest selection of GoPro Cameras, Accessories & Mounts. We are also Official DJI Innovations dealers.
http://www.hobbymounts.co.uk
Hobby Mounts
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Postby stevepud » Mon Aug 12, 2013 7:17 pm

1. RAMBO:

I tried with and without the 3.5mm jack extension - same.
I tried with the phone in my hand, so about 1m away from the camera - same.
I put the phone in flight mode, turned on Wifi - if anything it's worse.

2. MIKERB:
Cellphone signal is pretty good here - no hunting (evidenced by my battery can last a couple of days here, so it's definitely locked on nicely to a signal)
I will try shielding, but havent got a lot of decent shielding material here, I'll wrap the whole cable/mic in aluminium foil and see how that goes on.

3: HOBBY MOUNTS:
At the moment I'm only trying this in my house. I'll jump in the car in a mo and drive round the road and see what happens, but good shout - might be something in the house.

I've got a couple of those fake sony mics, I'll try one of those too in a minute to try to eliminate the mics. (though if it is local interference issue it'll still happen, same as if it's a cable issue, but worth a shot.)

Cheers guys, please keep any ideas and suggestions coming.
stevepud

Postby stevepud » Mon Aug 12, 2013 7:32 pm

OK, cheap sony knockoff mic - clicking still there but a little quieter. However the general sound quality on the 'sony' isnt as good as the 'professional' mic.
Used the cheap mic with the GoPro remote and it was fine.
Sat 3m away from phone, OK.
Sat right next to phone and held phone next to camera, OK.
Made a call with the mobile phone to wireless landline, and it did the old school mobile noise, you know the di di di dididididi di di di... but that was all.

I've just had a thought though - I do have a wireless landline phone - 2 in fact so perhaps they are putting out interference. I'll unplug them in a mo and try again.
If they still do it with those off I'll go for a drive...

**EDIT**
I powered down the phones and their bases - still the same.
Off out for a drive to get away from my street to see if it's any better.
Last edited by stevepud on Mon Aug 12, 2013 7:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stevepud

Postby Rambo » Mon Aug 12, 2013 7:57 pm

If it was internally generated interference by the GoPros own wifi, either wirelessly or thru the internal circuitry, why would is it doing it on both cameras, unlikely both have the same fault. Plugging in USB seems to be triggering it, so it has to be the accessories triggering the condition in App mode or it's external interference. If you disconnect the mic but leave the adapter cable plugged in, is it still there?
Rambo
Site Admin

Postby stevepud » Mon Aug 12, 2013 8:06 pm

Rambo wrote:If it was internally generated interference by the GoPros own wifi, either wirelessly or thru the internal circuitry, why would is it doing it on both cameras, unlikely both have the same fault. Plugging in USB seems to be triggering it, so it has to be the accessories triggering the condition in App mode or it's external interference. If you disconnect the mic but leave the adapter cable plugged in, is it still there?

I left the USB cable plugged in, and controlled it by the GoPro app on the Phone. No sound other than some faint electrical hiss/hum. I guess plugging in the usb combo cable shuts down the internal mics - which is logical.

However there was no clicking at all. I can only assume from this, there BOTH my combo cables are misbehaving.

I've tried 2 cameras, 5 mics and 2 combo cables.
I think I'll order a mic adapter only and see how that gets on.

As you say it's unlikely to be 2 cameras with the same fault. Not sure if it's likely to be 2 cables with the same fault too but it's worth a try.

I'm just going to jump in the car and get away from the house/street just in case there is something geographically affecting it.
back in 10.... :)
stevepud

Next

Return to GoPro Audio