Welcome
Welcome to goprouser

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you full access to view most discussions and access.. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements if any. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today! Any issues email goprousergroup@gmail.com

Does case block audio?

Discuss External Mics, Recorders, etc. No Camera Issues Please.

Does case block audio?

Postby NickMDal » Wed Nov 05, 2014 5:21 am

Just tried a new Hero4 on a bike using the case, chesty and the skeleton back. Only sound recorded was some very low frequence rumbling. Not a single decipherable word.

Noticed an older model's manual mentions an audio HI/LO setting to account for the case being on. There is no reference to audio in the Hero4 manual. Can this thing record audio with the case on? I thought it would work using the skeleton back.
NickMDal

Re: Does case block audio?

Postby sidd finch » Wed Nov 05, 2014 7:12 am

That is because the area the sound comes in through are the holes in the skeleton door. With a skeleton door attached to a chesty your body is blocking the ability for the sound to get to the camera.

Sidd
sidd finch

Postby NickMDal » Wed Nov 05, 2014 7:35 am

Thanks for helping but that is not right. I use the chesty with the camera inverted. I also stand when I bike for some wierd reason. So the back is no where near my body. The camera doesn't even pickup ambient sound directly in its path. Gear shifts, tire sounds are just a muddled base.

Just learning about the full skeleton case and USB sound input. Coming up on $600 and still need to by a mic and usb cable. Anyone know if the USB input is stereo and if the mic needs to be powered? Thanks.
NickMDal

Postby KnowledgeIsPower » Wed Nov 05, 2014 8:17 am

The holes for the mic are on the top of the GoPro (near the power). Unless you buy the Skeleton case which has holes for the mic, the Skeleton backdoor won't help you much. I learned the hard way too...
KnowledgeIsPower

Postby Rambo » Wed Nov 05, 2014 8:22 am

Once you get the correct housing you will find you then have wind noise buffering to contend with. Best solution is to record audio to a separate device and sync to the video later. You also might like to try after market furry wind socks or modifying the housing yourself for improved audio.

External mics connected via USB are not really practical on mountain bikes and likely to cause damage to the ports.
Rambo
Site Admin

Postby Fotodiox Pro » Thu Nov 06, 2014 3:07 am

Hi NickMDal,

Sean here from Fotodiox. I edit all of our company videos, including GoPro demo footage, and I've found that the best thing to do with action footage is to cut the audio all together, which is usually pretty rough, and just use music. Another thing you could do is find some realistic sound effects and use them instead. Here's a video where I did just that. I cut out the existing audio and added some nature sounds.

This might not work every time, but it can be very effective.
The GoTough line from Fotodiox features a wide array of top-notch accessories, filters, rigs and cases for GoPro cameras. Click HERE to check out our entire GoTough line.
Fotodiox Pro
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Return to GoPro Audio