Welcome
Welcome to goprouser

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you full access to view most discussions and access.. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements if any. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today! Any issues email goprousergroup@gmail.com

Exporting Video Problems

Discussion of All GoPro Studio Software Versions and issues

Exporting Video Problems

Postby misterjeremy » Fri Feb 14, 2014 2:03 pm

So i recently updated my computer to windows 8.1 and downloaded go pro studio 2.0.1. I have been able to import, convert and edit all my video files fine but once it is once i try to export my finished video creation that the problems begin. If i try to export my video in mp4 format then the whole program freezes and the exporting stays on 0%. I looked this up on google and found other people were having the same problem once they updated to windows 8.1 and they said just to export video as an avi. The problem with this is that go pro studio only exports as 'cineform avi' which gives it a .CFHD codec, which is unplayable in every media player i have tried and cannot be uploaded to the internet. Not only that but avi files are more than twice the size of mp4 files. How do i fix this problem? is there a way i can fix the exporting to mp4 bug?
Thanks.
misterjeremy

Re: Exporting Video Problems

Postby WIDEnet » Fri Feb 14, 2014 8:38 pm

Actually, exporting straight Cineform AVI and then encoding for local playback or web use results in a faster encode and produces smaller, higher quality final output, since with GPS you are actually using the Quicktime H.264 encoder, which is considered one of the worst, while with the method I suggest uses the world's best H.264 encoder, x264 (it's used everywhere from Youtube and Facebook to Warner Bros for some of their Blu-Ray releases--and its completely free). It used to be rather complicated, but once you install a copy of the free VirtualDub and ffmpeg/x264, along with my hand-coded preset scripts, it is simple and fast to do. For full information see this post, but here's the TL; DR version:

One-Time Setup

1.) Download VirtualDub and ffmpeg (you'll need 7zip to extract the downloaded files). Finally, download the preset package attached to this post and save it anywhere.
2.) Extract VDub to wherever you want to run it (no install). Then rightclick on ffmpeg_XXX.7z and go to 7zip>Extract Here. Important! Drag the extracted ffmpeg_XXX folder (NOT the 7z) to your C:\Program Files folder. Finally, rename the ffmpeg-XXX folder to, exactly, ffmpeg (no spaces, no caps). To check, paste c:\Program Files\ffmpeg\bin\ into your navigation bar and make sure you see "ffmpeg.exe" there.
3.) Open VlDub. Under "Options" go to "External Encoders..." Click "Import" and select the preset package you downloaded. Click OK.

To Encode a File

1.) In GPS, export your Cineform AVI master with "Archive/Edit" in "High" quality.
2.) In VDub, open the Cineform AVI master from step 1. Select Video>Full Processing Mode and Audio>Full Processing Mode.
3.) Finally, go to File>Export>Using External Encoder... and pick the appropriate preset from the list*. Hit enter, name the file and where you want it saved, and hit enter. It encodes and you are done.

Which preset you want depends on your desired application; most are pretty self-explanatory. For archival on your disk, pick Hard Disk Archival--Master Quality Faster (for most cases). For a presets hand-tuned to match the best settings for Youtube, pick Youtube HQ content for videos around 6 minutes or under (10 minutes or under for videos with mainly static shots), and Youtube MidQ for longer videos. Same for Vimeo. I will be updating the preset pack as I hand-tune and fully test more profiles; for an idea of the roadmap on this check out the other thread linked above. Thanks, and let me know how it goes!

C. A. M. Gerlach
Director, WIDEnet Media Services
Attachments
WIDEnet_CF-2-x284_Full_V-2.0.2.vdprof
Full VirtualDub preset pack with presets for Cineform AVI to H.264 MP4 conversion with ffmpeg/x264. Contents licensed CC-BY-SA 3.0. Author credit: C. A. M. Gerlach, WIDEnet Media Services
(9.08 KiB) Downloaded 320 times
WIDEnet

Postby Steve244 » Sat Feb 15, 2014 5:31 am

misterjeremy wrote:So i recently updated my computer to windows 8.1 and downloaded go pro studio 2.0.1. I have been able to import, convert and edit all my video files fine but once it is once i try to export my finished video creation that the problems begin. If i try to export my video in mp4 format then the whole program freezes and the exporting stays on 0%. I looked this up on google and found other people were having the same problem once they updated to windows 8.1 and they said just to export video as an avi. The problem with this is that go pro studio only exports as 'cineform avi' which gives it a .CFHD codec, which is unplayable in every media player i have tried and cannot be uploaded to the internet. Not only that but avi files are more than twice the size of mp4 files. How do i fix this problem? is there a way i can fix the exporting to mp4 bug?
Thanks.

Check this thread, there seems to be a simple bug where the file extension is MP4 (caps) instead of mp4 (lowercase) and gopro studio has a problem using it for exports.
Steve244

Postby WIDEnet » Sat Feb 15, 2014 11:39 pm

Ah thanks Steve, I remembered that thread but somehow couldn't find it. Should you ever find the need to export H.264 straight from GPS, Mr. Jeremy, hopefully that fixes your problem. Also, V2.1.1 with significant updates to all presets plus maybe a few new ones and simplifying existing coming either today or tomorrow!

Tl;DR version of the below content: After a full day of testing, you can get several times smaller filesize, somewhat faster encode times (Even counting both encodes with my presets), and more consistent quality with low to moderate-motion content using the above procedure and my presets, and visibly superior quality at equal filesizes and still faster-encode times with high motion content. Plus, the encoder is setup to automatically choose the best bitrate to achieve a consistent level of visual quality for various outputs, saving space for easy to encode videos while automatically ramping up the file size only when necessary to preserve quality, without you having to guess at what bitrate will produce the desired quality for a given video. In short, use the method above rather than GPS export!

On a test video I shot (moderate motion, decent amount of hard to encode noise), I encoded on the Youtube and HD 1080p presets in GPS and an updated version of my standard Youtube HQ and MidQ presets. The GPS Youtube preset was almost twice the filesize of my Youtube HQ preset, and almost four times the filesize of my Youtube MidQ preset, and the GPS Youtube single encode time was still over 30% longer than my Youtube HQ and over 50% longer than the total encode time for the Youtube MidQ preset, even while counting both the encode time for the Cineform master out of GPS in HQ and the encode time for VDub/ffmpeg/x264 for the latter. Quality-wise, the GPS Youtube export oscillated in quality around every half a second from being noticeably worse than Youtube HQ in fine-detail areas, to around the same at its peak in the cycle, and while Youtube MidQ was slightly less detailed than GPS Youtube during the peak of the latter's quality every half second, it maintained a more consistent quality overall.

Comparing the Youtube 1080p HD (and thus the almost identical to the Vimeo preset) against my equivalent Hard Disk Archival presets, the GPS HD 1080p preset was over three times the filesize of my highest-quality HDD archival preset, and over six times the filesize of my lowest quality HDD archival preset, and the encode time was still over 40% longer than my highest quality HDD preset and over 60% longer than the total encode time for the lower quality HDD preset, again counting both encode times for the latter. Quality-wise, the GPS export had a higher minimum quality than the GPS Youtube preset, but still oscillated between this and roughly equal to the high quality HDD archival preset, and while again slightly superior to the lower-quality HDD archival preset, this was mainly noticeable in areas of very high detail where a lot of motion was present, in which case the eye would not be able to track such finescale detail regardless (thus much of the space savings).

I also briefly tested the presets with a higher-motion video, and with the HQ Youtube and HDD presets, I ended up with a bitrate/file size slightly less than that of the GPS Youtube preset, while preserving much more detail and looking less blocky and artificial than that or even the GPS HD 1080p/Vimeo preset, despite its over 2x larger size. Further, encode time was still faster (didn't measure exactly how much) with my presets. Finally, tuning the settings for best quality with slower encode times, with small increases in encode time over the GPS versions I could achieve even better quality at the same or slighly smaller filesizes than before, while GPS offered no such option. Plus, my Youtube and Vimeo presets are specifically tuned for compatibility with their respective encoders (both versions of x264 themselves) to produce the best possible final output on those sites, and also include several compatibility settings to maximize ability to play on diffirent devices and media players.

Thanks, and good luck!

C. A. M. Gerlach
Director, WIDEnet Media Services
WIDEnet

Postby 25cm » Wed Mar 19, 2014 7:19 am

I just wish to thank you WIDEnet. Your program (so far) works great.

Much appreciated.
25cm

Postby mpoirier » Thu Mar 20, 2014 3:33 pm

Thank you for posting this WIDEnet.

I wish I could use your setup but unfortunately I cannot "Export" from GPS, the app just freezes at 0% without any error...

Lately, after many frustrating trials and error, I was only able to export to mov format but the file is unusable in Vegas Movie Studio which I am trying out right now...

My intent was to use the GPS app to encode properly their famous ( or now not so famous...) ProTune format which supposedly enhances video taken from GoPro 3+. They supposedly have a special algorithm to restore all the colors and details from Protune captured videos.

In your opinion, can I bypass this whole GPS non working app and restore color using only your setup or one custom made for Protune captured video ?

This would be absolutely great !

Thanks,

Michel
mpoirier

Postby Gareee » Tue Mar 25, 2014 1:26 am

Widenet: Thanks VERY MUCH for the info here! I can now convert video files from my gopro to play on my 82" tv set using universal media server.

I noticed that both the youtube and vimeo outputs are very close in size and stream (around 50 kbps) I can stream wirelessly consistently over 100 kbps.. what would I do to change to this output to 100 kbps? (The archival output is 150 kbps, and exceeds my wireless streaming capability)

I do agree from what I could see on my short test video that the end results are clearer than what I saw using gps.
Gareee

Postby MadDogDucati » Wed Apr 02, 2014 11:42 pm

misterjeremy wrote:So i recently updated my computer to windows 8.1 and downloaded go pro studio 2.0.1. I have been able to import, convert and edit all my video files fine but once it is once i try to export my finished video creation that the problems begin. If i try to export my video in mp4 format then the whole program freezes and the exporting stays on 0%. I looked this up on google and found other people were having the same problem once they updated to windows 8.1 and they said just to export video as an avi. The problem with this is that go pro studio only exports as 'cineform avi' which gives it a .CFHD codec, which is unplayable in every media player i have tried and cannot be uploaded to the internet. Not only that but avi files are more than twice the size of mp4 files. How do i fix this problem? is there a way i can fix the exporting to mp4 bug?
Thanks.

I have the same problem. Windows 8.1 update has rendered the export function useless. No problem before, but now it just sits at 0% and freezes. Despite the good intentions of Widenet, this is a problem that needs to be solved by Go Pro. They must be aware of the problem. Any one else find an 'internal' solution?
MadDogDucati

Postby aroutin » Thu Apr 03, 2014 10:43 pm

Same problem : after the import/convert/edit steps, when I try to export, no matter what format, I get the following error message : Error preparing ExporterEncoderFileWriter. It worked correctly for my precious 5 or 6 videos, it crashed on this particular one. Any help available ? Thanks.
aroutin

Postby MadDogDucati » Thu Apr 03, 2014 11:55 pm

With all due respect to those who have posted various solutions, I found this one on a Microsoft users forum. Go into the Device Manager and update the driver for the Intel HD 4000 graphics card. You don't have to delete it, just right click on it and go for an update. Works for 8.1 as far as I know, but you have to reboot the computer before it will work. Lot's of happy people on that site. Look here: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/wind ... 84a?page=2 I am on my first export and it is moving along quite well at the moment
MadDogDucati

Next

Return to GoPro Studio Software