Welcome
Welcome to goprouser

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you full access to view most discussions and access.. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today! Any issues email goprousergroup@gmail.com

filming time gopro hero3 silver

Discuss the HD3 White & Silver + BacPacs, General, Issues and Trouble Shooting. Please read the Stickies inside before posting.

filming time gopro hero3 silver

Postby passingthrough » Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:57 am

Hi, I have a hero 3 silver. When I record video it only records to 1.85g then stops recording then continues recording a new segment. After it records 4 of these segments it turns its self off. I am using a 32g card. Is this normal of have I managed to set it onto a different setting. I also notice that the film either goes in slow motion or skips. Any Idea's of what I am doing wrong. Cheers.
passingthrough

Re: filming time gopro hero3 silver

Postby fpneves » Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:52 pm

hi passingthrough,

i have also a silver.
i also having the camera recording in 1.85GB segments. i read somewhre that the last hero2 firmware (protune firmware) has this behavior too. since hero3 silver has some similarities with hero2, who knows !!! hope someone confirms this is normal.
about the self off after 4 segments, i will check that.
about film goes in slow motion or skips, i think thats because your player dont have cpu power to play the film. try a low resolution and/or lower frame rate.
if i play a 1080p @ 25fps film in my home PCs it happens the slow motion or the skips (they are weak PCs). at 720p no problem.
but if i play the 1080p @ 25fps directly on my smartTV there is no problem with the film.

i also have more issues to share, for instance:

what are your battery times: full charging time ?, continous filming time ? (with and without wifi turned on).
mine are
full charge time: +/- 1h30m
continous record time 1080p @ 25fps without wifi: +/- 2h15m
continous record time 1080p @ 25fps with wifi: +/- 1h50m

freezing:
when i cycle quickly through main menu the camera freezes. this happens after some time of uniterruped fast cycling.
and there are more and more.

hero3 is a great device (love wifi to smartphone) but it is very buggy and right now i dont know if i will keep it. i'm still testing and waiting for better firmware.

cheers
fpneves

Postby fpneves » Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:11 am

passingthrough wrote:Hi, I have a hero 3 silver. When I record video it only records to 1.85g then stops recording then continues recording a new segment. After it records 4 of these segments it turns its self off. I am using a 32g card. Is this normal of have I managed to set it onto a different setting. I also notice that the film either goes in slow motion or skips. Any Idea's of what I am doing wrong. Cheers.

hi again,

regarding the self off after 4 segments, i let my camera filming until it run out of battery (after a full charge) and i got 7 segments of 1080p @ 25fps.
so i think as long you have battery life, the camera keeps filming, creating more segments.
probably in your case, it self off because it ran out of battery too.

cheers
fpneves

Postby passingthrough » Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:53 am

Hi thanks for the reply.

I think I got a dud.

It only films the 4 sections 1.85g san disk 32 gig and turns off with the battery light indicating power.

Still skipping and jumpy. Will borrow a new computer to see what happens as mine is like a brick.

I haven't used wifi yet. (Some one (not me) dropped my phone into a glass of milk. Take note phones don't like milk.)

Now when I charge the camera it goes flat even when turned off. I have had it charging with the red light on now for over 2 hours and it still is incomplete.

But lucky for me. I took the camera off the surf board mount to go and re charge it and to see if it worked. (Which I am still waiting for it to charge) Went back in to the water and the surf board mount fell off into the deep blue sea. (My my my, luck has improved).

Well the red light has finally gone off 3 hrs to charge.

I will give it a go to night. The store I purchased it off said if no luck bring it back.

Any way cheers and thanks for your help.
passingthrough

Postby Mercbg2k » Sat Feb 02, 2013 2:05 am

What card are you using? Card may not be fast enough.
Mercbg2k

Postby fpneves » Sat Feb 02, 2013 4:00 am

Hi again passingthrough,

"It only films the 4 sections 1.85g san disk 32 gig and turns off with the battery light indicating power."
When i film until the battery run off, the power status always indicates that the battery is full charged (!!!!) ; the camera dont refresh the battery status indicator.
I use a san disk 32gb class 10.

"Still skipping and jumpy. Will borrow a new computer to see what happens as mine is like a brick"
i believe thats a cpu muscle issue.

"I haven't used wifi yet. (Some one (not me) dropped my phone into a glass of milk. Take note phones don't like milk.)"
yeah, you must try other drinks, LOL

"Now when I charge the camera it goes flat even when turned off. I have had it charging with the red light on now for over 2 hours and it still is incomplete."
"Well the red light has finally gone off 3 hrs to charge. "
my full charge time is about 1h30m, dont know what is normal yours or mine.

cheers
fpneves

Postby passingthrough » Fri Feb 08, 2013 7:31 pm

Hi again quick update. Camera still did not work. The store I purchased it from gave me a new camera so will try it out tomorrow. This one when i connected it to the update did it all automatically where the other one I had to go through the manual method. So here is hoping..

My disk is the same as yours.
passingthrough

Postby Nette » Sat Mar 02, 2013 12:04 am

passingthrough wrote:Hi, I have a hero 3 silver. When I record video it only records to 1.85g then stops recording then continues recording a new segment. After it records 4 of these segments it turns its self off. I am using a 32g card. Is this normal of have I managed to set it onto a different setting. I also notice that the film either goes in slow motion or skips. Any Idea's of what I am doing wrong. Cheers.

I also have the same problem mentioned , but after the first caption it just stops, so only one 1,85 gb file and stop until i start it again.
Wery annoying :cry: because i had the camera with me when diving in Thailand, two times for 50 min each and got only 17min 53 seconds of each dive on my card. I am not wery happy.... :twisted:
I use a 64 gb Sandisk Ultra xc card and it should be the fastest on market right now. Also updated the software in the camera to the latest available.
Also the display tells me that there is plenty of time to record left on the card.

I have been reading about similar problems on other forums also..

So do anyone know about a fix to this problem ?
Nette

Postby eddiea6987 » Fri Jun 14, 2013 3:44 pm

did this issue ever get fixed or figured out? I purchased a silver edition 3 days ago and im seeing the same 1.85gb limit
which I understand if theres a limit but if the hero 3 I suppose to do 4gb chunks then I cannot accept a device with less then half that capacity.

and I have the latest firmware from their website...sooo yeah these people need to jump on that , sometimes I feel not everything is solved with firmware if its an engineering mistake , at which point your stuck with the device until they fix it and release new ones
eddiea6987

Return to HD3 Hero White & Silver Editions