Welcome
Welcome to goprouser

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you full access to view most discussions and access.. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements if any. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today! Any issues email goprousergroup@gmail.com

Go pro in surgery

Gopro User forum. This Old Forum is unlocked but ARCHIVED

Re: Go pro in surgery

Postby mrkrag » Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:20 pm

UPDATE:
I successfully ran the case through a Sterrad cycle on friday with absolutely NO harm to it. So it definitely can endure that method. not sure if I still want to find out how it holds up to the stream autoclave. pig I test it, i'll post results as well
mrkrag

Postby Mercbg2k » Wed Mar 28, 2012 2:26 am

Ive been in many ORs and Photographed and Video recorded many surgeries. Ive never sterilized nor sterilized my equipment. Personally I have gowned up, head, feet, mask.

Aside from the obvious of sterility, why do you feel the need to sterilize your equipment? I mean you are not going to place it in the sterile field right? Unless the doctor needs to touch to adjust the carmera, there are ways to preserve his/her sterility and still have the equipment not be sterile.
Mercbg2k

Postby mrkrag » Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:52 pm

@Merc: Yes, we are placing it in the field. You are referring to recording as an outside party there to video, I am doing it as a surgical assist capturing what we do as we work. The reason for wanting the camera on the field is because we are doing small wrist/hand/finger surgeries that only occupy a few square inches. Then we have the doctor and myself seated on either side of the table looking over it, and the scrub on the end of the table blocking things from that direction too. On top of that, during about half of the case, an Xray machine is brought in over the table blocking any overhead view. Having the camera sterile allows me to have it beneath the xray machine obstruction, still viewing what we are doing.
For most of our cases we are using ceiling mounted cameras with pan-tilt-zoom controls and I have the remotes for them in a sterile bag. These work great unless we are blocking the view either with our bodies or the equipment.

As an aside, I have come up with a scheme to mount the gopro to a boom arm that can reach across from the non-sterile side of the patient, and get close enough to see what is going on without having to be sterile.

Cant wait to get my hands on the wifi bakpak so i can throw THAT in a sterile pouch and run it from the field. Throwaway bags are a lot cheaper, easier and faster to deal with than sterilizing camera housings.
mrkrag

Postby Mercbg2k » Thu Mar 29, 2012 3:47 am

Im with ya kinda. I guess I dont quite get what you mean by it being in the sterile field. As in, in the patient/animal? As I said before I have taken video and photos and I have been well into the field, just not touching ANYTHING. I once had to be leaned out over a patient (very obese) to photograph a new heart valve. One of the surgical residents was holding me by my pants. If he let go, I was going to be face first in the heart.

Anyway i understand what you mean by C arms getting in the way and what not. Also microsurgery is very small field to work in. Seems the microscope would get in the way as well.

My feeling is unless its mounted to you, something (lights, xray machine, other equipment) will always get in the way.

As you can tell Im very interested in what you come up with.
Mercbg2k

Postby dc-alx » Mon Nov 24, 2014 11:35 pm

Soaking the camera in alcohol or antiseptic fluids will result in a disinfected case. But not in a sterile case. You may not touch it with the sterile gloves. In order to be put on you head or attached to the OR-lights it does not need to be disinfected (as your hair and the lights are neither). br
dc-alx

Previous

Return to Old Forum Topics - Tips, Tricks and DIY Customizations - ALL Models