Welcome
Welcome to goprouser

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you full access to view most discussions and access.. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today! Any issues email goprousergroup@gmail.com

GoPro HD4 already in use???

Discuss the Future Camera

Re: GoPro HD4 already in use???

Postby BISDREMIS » Fri Nov 09, 2012 5:00 am

image stabilazation is vital for an action cam , much more than other features ,
I.S. in my op must be performed not mechnicaly but elecronicaly by croping the wider FOV to a smaller one (just like sony does on its action cam)
if this could be incorporated in HD3 via firware update , im buying HD3 now ! hope you listen GOPRO :D
BISDREMIS

Postby soundkite » Mon Jan 28, 2013 3:46 pm

I'd like the ability to stack multiple BacPacs. For example, plug an LCD BacPac on top of a battery BacPac.
soundkite
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Postby Videoshooter » Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:24 pm

It would be good to have a slower, but more sustained burst mode - say 5fps for as long as you hold the shutter button down - because at the moment even the 30 photos/3 seconds burst can be too short for some uses.

An accessory I'd love to see is a housing with a built in pistol grip/trigger, so that shooting handheld with a grip/grenade doesn't always require a second hand to hit the record/shutter button. This would be especially great with the burst mode where you can squeeze the trigger for as long as you want to shoot continuously for.

Speaking of accessories, can they please include 1 standard tripod mount with the camera? It's annoying having to buy one of these when I have all these included surfboard mounts lying around unused instead. Nearly every camera, tripod, rig, mount, accessory etc in the world has a 1/4" threads - why not just include the adapter in the box?

Format wise, 720p240 would be awesome, and the 4k mode may as well be a usable 24/25/30fps. A 2.7k medium crop mode would be good too (ie 1:1 pixels) just so you can get rid of some of that fisheye distortion. It would also be great to have Protune available in *every* frame rate and resolution - or at the very least still make the non-protune modes menu selectable even when Protune is switched on, but just flash a warning message saying "Protune has been switched off in this mode" or something like that. This would save a bit of time cycling through menu's to turn Protune on and off.

A longer battery life would be great, even if it means bumping the size back up to the same as the Hero2. Sure, you can use a battery bacpac, but you don't have that option in conjunction with the LCD bacpac, so you end up with a very short battery life with the LCD in use.

And, most important of all, make sure it has a decent working firmware on release!
Videoshooter

Postby Videoshooter » Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:48 pm

goprogizmo wrote:My wish list:

*CCD sensor or CMOS w/ global shutter
*Liquid Lens for optical image stabilization
*Rotating lens like on the Contour and Drift
*4k video with faster frame rate
*8k video depending on when this is coming out...
*Built-in accelerometer and GPS chips
*Built-in LCD viewer (+1 for the idea of having it inside the wifi remote)
*Motion detect triggering
*USB 3.0 or Thunderbolt connectivity
*Smaller/Lighter form factor

You realise 8k video is a horizontal resolution of 8000? Which, at 16:9 aspect ratio is equivalent to 36mp stills? And that is 4 times the resolution of the best digital cinema projectors currently in common use (though the majority of cinemas are still only 2k). I cant' imagine why anybody would want to shoot videos at this resolution.

On the Hero4, 24/25/30fps at 4k would be awesome, anything more than that is total overkill and will just introduce issues (card space, storage, playback issues, compatibility issues, lower sensitivity, more noise, etc. 36mp is overkill for 99.99% of still photography purposes - there is no way we need for video on a GoPro!
Videoshooter

Postby danpass » Wed Jan 30, 2013 5:02 am

I'm confident it's been mentioned so I'm really only saying it again:

Relocate the lens. Either:

1. Put it in the middle of the face. This helps with centering the view without throwing off center of gravity.
2. Put it on an edge. This again helps with CG but also helps with packaging it in tight spaces.
danpass

Postby mikerb » Wed Jan 30, 2013 6:13 am

Outside of all the pro and semi pro users of Gopro I feel sure the mass market appeal has largely been as a result of the huge increase in social networking and with it the need for people to record and share their experiences..........Gopro does that better than anything else especially if the environment is more extreme. As a result all sorts of people are buying Gopros and they expect them to be "consumer resilient" . a lot of those people will have very little knowledge of photography/video, let alone editing, rendering etc. So whilst I fully expect Gopro to keep pushing the boundaries of technology ( a black version 2!) it should also now be investing in a development programme that makes the cam "user proof"...instantly connectable to social media, 100% compatable with a simple but feature rich editing suite etc. For the general consumer market all of the various terms describing resolutions/frame rates/codecs/file formats are just not relevant....in the same way that most car buyers have absolutely no idea what OHC/VVT/16 valve etc mean or what relevance they have. The box should contain everything you need........it should include a charger, it should include a remote, it should include a SD card. Plug and play is the modern way!
Oh....and it is really time Gopro took a good look at their mounts. Considering the capability of the camera, the quality and performance of most of the mounts is poor. A lot of the mounting issues arise from the fact that the camera will not swivel ( except with the tripod mount). Using a series of levers at different angles is not a solution in harsh environments......they move or break or both.
mikerb

Postby alex84 » Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:37 am

so i guess the Hero 4 or Black 2 or whatever that camera will be called, could be based around this Chip, right?

Ambarella still pretty new A9 chip^^

http://www.ambarella.com/news/33/74/Amb ... meras.html

1080 at 120fps
720 at 240fps
4k at 30fps

and 60 burst shots at 12mp^^
pretty nice, if you ask me :D

some Features which caught my eye:

""lectronic Image Stabilization (EIS) with rolling shutter correction.
3D Motion-Compensated Temporal Filtering (MCTF) with de-ghosting for reduced artifacts and excellent low light performance.
Support for applications including wireless preview, playback, and upload of stills and videos to a smartphone or directly to the Internet over WiFi™.""

Source:
see above mentioned link

what do you guys think?
will gopro stick with ambarella?
If so, this could be in the "next gen" gopro^^
Alex
alex84

Postby GoPro#1Fan » Thu Jan 31, 2013 6:40 pm

I'd like all the features GoPro promised for the Hero 3 Black, but working and without bugs :D
I know, I know, I'm asking too much! :D
GoPro#1Fan

Postby vette66 » Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:55 pm

GPS BackPac that integrates the readout with the video being recorded. This would be soooo useful for what I do.
vette66

Postby Videoshooter » Sun Feb 10, 2013 1:12 am

If they do make the new model around that next chip, I would live to see a doubling of the current capabilities, to allow:

720 @ 240fps (including Protune for Narrow FOV)
1080p @ 120fps (including Protune for Narrow FOV)
2.7K @ 60fps (including a Medium, or 1:1 crop FOV)
4K at a usable 30/25/24 fps

Also a few other features I'd like to see added:

- Make the wireless button harder to accidentally push.
- 5 second pre-record (the camera continuously records to the buffer; when you hit record, it starts writing what is already in the buffer to the card)
- A choice of housing colours (this is not a fashion statement - it helps you find your camera when you've lost it or set it up somewhere tricky)
Videoshooter

PreviousNext

Return to HD4 Future Camera