Welcome
Welcome to goprouser

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you full access to view most discussions and access.. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements if any. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today! Any issues email goprousergroup@gmail.com

GoPro Kiteboarding Mount

Gopro User forum. This Old Forum is unlocked but ARCHIVED

GoPro Kiteboarding Mount

Postby manywiresloose » Fri Mar 12, 2010 4:57 am

I wanted to mount my cam on the kite, but with the wide angle lens, it's just too far away from the board to be of much use...the rider appears tiny. So, I once again used the base of the display case to fashion a line mount for the cam. Line mounting is inherently problematic since the lines tend to twist and spin...making video an editing nightmare...but I can't think of a better place to mount the cam that will deliver good video.

I drilled a couple of 5mm holes on either side of the display case's base and threaded through the two lines that run to the leading edge of my kite. As you can see from the pic, I was fortunate that the HQ Neo's control lines fork just above the safety release pulley - which provides some resistance to spinning. In my simple tests, the cam stays fairly stable when the kite is pulling the lines taut, but its orientation varies a little too much for my tastes (moves from portrait to landscape as the line slacks). That approach works, but I wanted less variability in camera orientation and easier editing, so I rigged the cam to the trailing edge lines instead. It involved tying a a couple of knots in the control bar's trailing edge lines (just as they attach to the trailing edge lines from the kite - about 7' from the control bar) and then threading a couple of 2' lengths of paracord through the holes I drilled in the display case's base. I ran the paracord in an "X" pattern for stability and then tied it off on opposite sides of the knots I'd tied in the control bar lines (to prevent the paracord from slipping in either direction. When the lines are taut, the camera mount rests just in front of the control bar's center line (the one that splits into two and attaches to the kite's leading edge) and the camera seems as stable as it's ever likely to become while line mounted - and it can't change orientation. I think this will be the approach I test in the water on the next windy day.

I'd appreciate the advice of anyone with helpful suggestions as to how to improve upon this mounting system.

ImageImageImageImageImage
Last edited by manywiresloose on Sat Mar 13, 2010 5:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
manywiresloose

Re: GoPro Kiteboarding Mount

Postby Greg_E » Fri Mar 12, 2010 7:06 am

Don't forget the float in case is comes off.

Maybe GoPro should start selling the flat base plate as an accessory.
http://transportcontrols.com
Updated with version 1.
Greg_E

Postby manywiresloose » Fri Mar 12, 2010 7:17 am

Greg_E wrote:Don't forget the float in case is comes off.

Maybe GoPro should start selling the flat base plate as an accessory.

Thanks. I'm planning to lanyard it to either the center lines or one of the trailing edge lines...then if the cam separates from the mount it'll remain attached to the kite lines...and if the lines become detached from the kite, I'll have much bigger worries than my cam ;)

Don't give them any ideas...I like having it at it's current price: included free ;)
manywiresloose

Postby flowlovva » Fri Mar 12, 2010 8:08 am

Nice.....I like that setup. In response to your PM Ihave been working on a rigid frame that can be mounted anywhere alomg the lines. I have madea H shaped frame and am just getting to grips with a method of fixing.....will post here when tested.
flowlovva

Postby manywiresloose » Sat Mar 13, 2010 2:47 am

flowlovva wrote:Nice.....I like that setup. In response to your PM Ihave been working on a rigid frame that can be mounted anywhere alomg the lines. I have madea H shaped frame and am just getting to grips with a method of fixing.....will post here when tested.

Looking forward to seeing it...the attachment method for a rigid structure is always the hardest part. I'm hoping that once the kite lines are pulled taut by the wind, my paracord mounting system will be fairly rigid. I hung it from the ceiling joist in my loft and it behaved very well as I pulled on the control bar to simulate the pull of the wind. The camera and mount seemed to move as one with the kite lines - which is about as good as I could hope for on a line mounted system.
manywiresloose

Postby manywiresloose » Sat Mar 20, 2010 2:42 pm

This design proved to be unstable... the footage was frenetic like an acid trip as the cam gyrated wildly with every movement of the kite. Back to the drawing board.

On the plus side, the range was perfect...the wide angle lens captured rider and board perfectly...now, if I can just come up with a design that allows the footage to be watchable without Dramamine.
manywiresloose

Postby manywiresloose » Sun Mar 21, 2010 5:14 am

Though the camera mount experiment didn't work well for video footage, it did produce some interesting stills. Come to think of it, I've never seen stable video from a line mounted cam on a kite...everything I've seen was a kite mounted system.
ImageImageImageImage

I had better luck with board mounting the cam though there was quite a bit of spray in the shot (which isn't necessarily a bad thing since it sort of enhances the action)...it produced some interesting stills as well - with cool shots of water droplets suspended in the air. Pretty impressive frame excerpts from video on the 1080 setting.Image
manywiresloose

Postby manywiresloose » Sun Mar 21, 2010 5:19 am

Rambo wrote:Think pivot points, you need to mount it where rotation tilt and pitching will be least.

R

Thanks...if only I could find such a location along the lines. Flexible mounting to the two rear lines was my attempt at finding a location that would follow the movement of the control bar, but the leading edge lines hit the cam and became snagged by the plastic mount and camera housing whenever the lines became slack.

It'll be a pretty good challenge to find a mounting rig and location that will provide stable video...might have to just settle for still photography on the line mounted cam and just use the board mount for video.
manywiresloose

Postby PointofViewCameras » Tue Mar 23, 2010 10:27 am

Is this what you're looking for?

KITEHERO Line Mount offers quality high-grade, lightweight nylon construction. Easy mounting points make setup quick, and optimal camera positioning on the mount helps keep your photos and video free from obstructions.
A line leash protects you from losing your GoPro camera and a standard tap hole allows you to mount other digital cameras. Designed to fit most types of four-line kite bars without limiting the bar's performance or interfering with riding.

http://pointofviewcameras.com/kitehero- ... mount.html
PointofViewCameras

Next

Return to Old Forum Topics - Tips, Tricks and DIY Customizations - ALL Models