Welcome
Welcome to goprouser

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you full access to view most discussions and access.. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements if any. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today! Any issues email goprousergroup@gmail.com

GoPro with Polarizer

Anti-fog, Anti-Spot Caps, Filters, Polarizers, Macros, Lenses etc. NO Camera issues Please.

Re: Stickie - GoPro with Polarizer

Postby Dan Morera » Thu Jun 21, 2012 2:50 am

Rambo wrote:
martcerv wrote:How are you setting up the filter chief?

Little trick i learned by observation. If you look at the camera front on, there is a reflection off the internal dome, rotate the polarizer until the reflection goes dull. :D

That 1st frame capture with the full sun upper RHS, i don't even have a Pro camera that will pull off that shot.

R

That is a great idea!

Excuse the newbie question do you mount the filter on top of the UV that comes with the blur fix or is it mounted by itself?

Thanks again
Dan
Dan Morera

Postby martcerv » Thu Jun 21, 2012 1:34 pm

You just mount one filter at a time on the Blurfix, stacking filters would cause vignetting and the low profile ones provided by SRP have had the outer threads grinded off so they wont allow stacking. You can stack regular 55mm filters but these will cause some vignetting in wide modes.

The CP still works as a flat lens and if using the O-ring it will still maintain the air-pocket which will keep the underwater focus fix. A CP isn't ideal for deep underwater use but in the surf it will still give good results and focus the underwater shots.

Here was one of my early CP filter tests, shot with a HD1 and the marumi CP filter.

Forum Moderator

Support our Sponsors - Click the Links
Surya Prihadi - Advanced GoPro Tester
Snake River Prototyping - BlurFix - NEW PRODUCTS OUT NOW Nov 2013
Sports Camera Hire & Sales Australia
HydroRemote Cable Systems
Hobby Mounts UK
Outdoor Equipment Rentals
Hardened Power Systems
Cam-Do
Fotodiox Pro - NEW PRODUCTS OUT NOW Feb 2014
martcerv
Forum Mod

Postby Dan Morera » Thu Jun 21, 2012 1:47 pm

Thank you sir, really appreciate your help.

I'll be using mine for kayak fishing videos and I get a lot of sun "problems" and sometimes I have it right in front from where I am pointing. Plus from time to time to just dunk the camera under water to take a little video of the fish, so knowing that the air pocket will still be there is very use ful.

Thanks again
Dan
Dan Morera

Postby martcerv » Thu Jun 21, 2012 3:34 pm

Just to make note relating to GoPro manufacturing tolerances that may effect some HD2 camera and housing combinations above water even with SRP provided filters, causing a very slight vignette in HD2 16:9 wide fov video modes.

There is a fairly loose manufacturing tolerance by GoPro so the lens location and how the camera is seated inside the housing can cause this with some cameras and housing combinations. It is very slight and I edited and uploaded many videos not noticing some of my shots were affected by this until I looked back at the footage much later after being made aware of this.

I have 4 housings with a Blurfix adapter 2 HD1's and 2HD2's, this effects one of my housing's and one of my HD2 cams but its so slight its barely noticeable. Underwater all HD2's and housings Ive ever seen with the Blurfix are vignette free in these modes but maybe 5-10% (pure guess) may be effected above water. Even the GoPro dive housing is bound to have some cameras that will have a slight vignette above water due to these slack tolerances, underwater the magnification will avoid the filter frame from being in view so this is only an issues above water at times.

Here is a pic of the vignette level on my "bad HD2" 720P60 using the clear filter by SRP, this is the worst vignette Ive ever got above water using a blurfix and SRP filter and its still not terrible but noticeable. This could easily be cropped out or adjusting how the camera sits in this housing could also eliminate that issue. I think its best to point out for anyone looking at getting the Blurfix that its possible this may occur but unluckily its just pot luck in the GoPro roulette. :lol:

Forum Moderator

Hobby Mounts UK
Hardened Power Systems
Cam-Do
martcerv
Forum Mod

Postby martcerv » Sat Jun 23, 2012 12:11 am

Here is a quick timelapse I shot with the CP filter in the Blurfix.

Forum Moderator

Hobby Mounts UK
Hardened Power Systems
Cam-Do
martcerv
Forum Mod

Postby peeteey » Mon Jun 25, 2012 1:52 am

Hi guys,
I'm new to this forum. Just wanted to say g'day and share my own CPL filter mod.
I had fun making it and only managed to ruin about 4 filters along the way.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Po0su6RScq8

Edit: there are a couple of test vids on my YouTube page also. One in the car and one on the bike called classic Honda collection
peeteey

Postby Peter Patricelli » Wed Jul 04, 2012 5:45 am

Of course, GoPro sells a polarizer...for $14 or so..that fits INSIDE the housing in front of the lens. That aalows you only one orientation without removing the camera from the housing.

The alternative I did involved identifying online and buying an 8 x 11" sheet of polarizing film from Hong Kong for $1 (shipping included), cut out a round "lens" the appropriate size, identified the horizontal orientation that is most useful (like sunglasses...that is the best orintation 95% of the time) shoved/wedged it into the housing "lens". And voila' it works! And I have a lifetime supply of replacments.

PMP
Peter Patricelli

Postby Kench » Fri Jul 06, 2012 8:49 am

As far as I know, GoPro is not selling polarizers. But lots of third party companies do on internet, especially on ebay.

But I wouldn't expect sharpness from a film that is folded between the housing and the lens. But if you share some full size images with us, that would be great. I'm curious about how it would effect the sharpness. Can you do a comparison between with and without the film under the same environment?
Kench

Postby martcerv » Fri Jul 06, 2012 12:54 pm

With filters in general you do get a huge variation in performance between different types and qualities of filters. As Kench said GoPro dont sell any filters but lots of 3rd party sellers do, the basic gel sheet inside the round housing would be better with an nd filter then a cp, the odd angles youd get with a rounded cp would give some weird results I think.
Forum Moderator

Hobby Mounts UK
Hardened Power Systems
Cam-Do
martcerv
Forum Mod

Postby Dan Morera » Sat Jul 28, 2012 2:39 am

Have any of you guys used rainx on a Polarizer filter? the reason I ask is because in the box it mentions something about not using with surfaces with coatings and something else I just can't remember what it was.

This camara is used on my kayak fishing trips, so it will get splashed and I'm probably going to be dunking it in the water too for some underwater shots of my fish.

Thanks in advance
Dan
Dan Morera

PreviousNext

Return to GoPro Clear Vision