Welcome
Welcome to goprouser

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you full access to view most discussions and access.. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements if any. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today! Any issues email goprousergroup@gmail.com

GoPro with Polarizer

Anti-fog, Anti-Spot Caps, Filters, Polarizers, Macros, Lenses etc. NO Camera issues Please.

Re: Stickie - GoPro with Polarizer

Postby MagicMotion » Sun Jul 29, 2012 10:04 pm

Goprolens.com have a polar filter that is awsome!

I just wish it could be deliverd with a case sins it easy to loose when you dont use it..
MagicMotion

Postby jerrybboy » Thu Aug 02, 2012 10:15 am

Hello guys can somebody tell me what the material of these filters are.
and maybe even tell where I can buy this material ?
jerrybboy

Postby martcerv » Sat Aug 04, 2012 8:29 am

Dan Morera wrote:Have any of you guys used rainx on a Polarizer filter? the reason I ask is because in the box it mentions something about not using with surfaces with coatings and something else I just can't remember what it was.

This camara is used on my kayak fishing trips, so it will get splashed and I'm probably going to be dunking it in the water too for some underwater shots of my fish.

Thanks in advance
Dan

I dont use Rainx and Im pretty sure its not a good idea with a polarizing filter. I have used the blurfix and Marumi cp on the water with the spit and dip method which has worked well on the waters surface. You just need to repeat this fairly often so if you cant get access to it easily on your kayak you may need some other method that wont damage the filters coating.
Forum Moderator

Support our Sponsors - Click the Links
Surya Prihadi - Advanced GoPro Tester
Snake River Prototyping - BlurFix - NEW PRODUCTS OUT NOW Nov 2013
Sports Camera Hire & Sales Australia
HydroRemote Cable Systems
Hobby Mounts UK
Outdoor Equipment Rentals
Hardened Power Systems
Cam-Do
Fotodiox Pro - NEW PRODUCTS OUT NOW Feb 2014
martcerv
Forum Mod

Postby ladius » Mon Aug 20, 2012 12:34 pm

Nice, would you mind sharing your source in HK?

Peter Patricelli wrote:Of course, GoPro sells a polarizer...for $14 or so..that fits INSIDE the housing in front of the lens. That aalows you only one orientation without removing the camera from the housing.

The alternative I did involved identifying online and buying an 8 x 11" sheet of polarizing film from Hong Kong for $1 (shipping included), cut out a round "lens" the appropriate size, identified the horizontal orientation that is most useful (like sunglasses...that is the best orintation 95% of the time) shoved/wedged it into the housing "lens". And voila' it works! And I have a lifetime supply of replacments.

PMP
ladius

Postby Orthonormal » Sun Sep 16, 2012 10:53 am

Peter Patricelli wrote:Of course, GoPro sells a polarizer...for $14 or so..that fits INSIDE the housing in front of the lens. That aalows you only one orientation without removing the camera from the housing.

The alternative I did involved identifying online and buying an 8 x 11" sheet of polarizing film from Hong Kong for $1 (shipping included), cut out a round "lens" the appropriate size, identified the horizontal orientation that is most useful (like sunglasses...that is the best orintation 95% of the time) shoved/wedged it into the housing "lens". And voila' it works! And I have a lifetime supply of replacments.

PMP
I have tried that myself. The problem is that the camera lens and the cover lens are both curved, making the space between them curved as well. That forces the disc of polarizing film to bend, and polarizing film changes its orientation in response to stress. I checked the polarization with the filter installed, using a polarized light source, and found large blobs in the image indicating different polarization. It was also evident in the reflections in the windshield when I mounted the camera in the car. The center of the image was good, but the corners still showed strong reflections.
Orthonormal

Postby martcerv » Tue Sep 25, 2012 8:11 pm

Here is a little snowboard edit from Canada earlier this year using the Hero, blurfix and CP with no colour work in post, needs musics but I couldn't think of anything so will add it later. :mrgreen:

Forum Moderator

Hobby Mounts UK
Hardened Power Systems
Cam-Do
martcerv
Forum Mod

Postby r3cycle » Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:02 am

Amazon just delivered me a Tiffen circular polarizer (55mm). I use it on SRP blurfix, it fits perfectly. The problem is a terrible vignetting, here's photos (sorry for the poor subject):

Tiffen circular polarizer 720p

no filter 720p

So, seems that tiffen filter is not a good solution for gopro: the borders are too high and appears in the shot
r3cycle

Postby martcerv » Thu Oct 25, 2012 11:07 am

You will need to grind down the filter a little which is what SRP do with the filters they have as there is not much room to play with due to the high fov camera. Check the blurfix discussion thread a few people have mentioned how they have ground theirs down.
Forum Moderator

Hobby Mounts UK
Hardened Power Systems
Cam-Do
martcerv
Forum Mod

Postby martcerv » Wed Nov 14, 2012 3:46 pm

Here is a video of the Hero3 Black using the new Blurfix3 SO adapter and marumi CP filter rotating it to see the effect on the glare coming off the lake.

More info will be in the Blurfix discussion thread and I will do a full review once I get a final retail version of this new adapter.

blurfix-adapter-discussion-t3582-290.html
Forum Moderator

Hobby Mounts UK
Hardened Power Systems
Cam-Do
martcerv
Forum Mod

Postby Dashinuke » Sun Dec 23, 2012 11:30 pm

Does anyone have any experience with using the Gopro3 Black with a polarizing filter in combination with Protune ?

I'm afraid you're gonna lose allot of detail in the shadow area's
Dashinuke

PreviousNext

Return to GoPro Clear Vision