Welcome
Welcome to goprouser

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you full access to view most discussions and access.. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements if any. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today! Any issues email goprousergroup@gmail.com

GoPro with Polarizer

Anti-fog, Anti-Spot Caps, Filters, Polarizers, Macros, Lenses etc. NO Camera issues Please.

GoPro with Polarizer

Postby Rambo » Thu Mar 18, 2010 11:07 pm

I never shoot video on my Pro cams outside without a Circular Polarizer, except when shooting people up close as it kills the details and highlights on their faces. So i thought why not try one on a GoPro.

What it does is reduce the incoming light by 1.5 stops in any position and when rotated to it's maximum effect, it reduces reflections and glare. This allows more of the natural color through the lens so the images have more impact. If this was shot from the air over a lake you would see the lake bottom and no reflections on the water.

How does this affect the Gopro?

Apart from enhancing the colors and reducing glare and reflections, it also has the effect of reducing the shutter speed on the Gopo as it tries to compensate for the reduction in light. This reduction in shutter speed is desirable if you want more motion blur of the fast moving parts of the video and also reduces the strobing you see when panning the camera or something moves quickly within the frame, like waving your arms.

PLay the video to see the effect of the polarizer as i rotate it through 180 degrees. Keep your eyes on the sky and clouds, notice how they get more colorful and contrasty.
Harder to pick in this example, is the smoother motion of the the trees due to more motion blur.

Cheers Rambo

Rambo
Site Admin

Re: GoPro with Polarizer

Postby Saleen880549 » Fri Mar 19, 2010 12:56 am

It does help out nicely.
Saleen880549

Postby Greg_E » Fri Mar 19, 2010 1:54 am

How did you attach it to the camera? Or did you just hold it in front to see what would happen?

From what I have done you will need a 52mm step up ring machined to screw to the front of the housing and even then you might still see the filter in the corners at 720 modes.
http://transportcontrols.com
Updated with version 1.
Greg_E

Postby Saleen880549 » Fri Mar 19, 2010 2:47 am

he just holds it, you can see him moving it up and down.
Saleen880549

Postby Rambo » Fri Mar 19, 2010 8:49 am

The one I'm going to mount permanently will be same diameter as the outside of the plastic case lens retainer and mounted in a small tube protruding just enough past the end of the bubble to not touch. There might be very slight vignetting but i can crop and zoom that in post or use it as an effect. The other option is to totally remove the bubble and sacrifice a small amount of wide FOV,

R
Rambo
Site Admin

Postby Greg_E » Fri Mar 19, 2010 9:11 am

Thought I had a picture of what the camera looks like with a step up ring attached, but I can't find it so I must have deleted it. Anyway with the 46mm ring there was some small intrusion in the corners with just the ring at 720, this would get much was once you screwed a filter on to the ring. I did not try it at 1080 to see if it cleared better because I just flat out decided that it probably would once a filter was attached and it didn't make sense to buy a 46mm filter just to see it fail. I need to get a 27x52mm step up ring and machine that to screw to the housing as that at least stands a decent chance of working at 1080. I don't think anything larger will fit because it looks like it will hit the front button.
http://transportcontrols.com
Updated with version 1.
Greg_E

Postby yodiracer » Fri Mar 19, 2010 9:29 am

A polarizing lens from GoPro would be nice. I'm not sure they're ready to meet the demand that they have generated though. They seem to be caught up in making sure their company survives at this point. Edited out my recall comment as it was not appropriate.
Last edited by yodiracer on Fri Mar 19, 2010 11:42 am, edited 2 times in total.
yodiracer

Postby Rambo » Fri Mar 19, 2010 9:46 am

yodiracer wrote: They seem to be caught up in making sure their company survives at this point. What with all the recalls.

It's actually very small compared to the number of sales and there has never been a recall initiated by the company, just normal replacement under warranty of defective items as they occur.

Back to the polarizer....

R
Rambo
Site Admin

Postby WindKnot » Fri Mar 19, 2010 7:38 pm

I want one, set one up and I will buy it off of you even if I have to void the warranty. I do a lot of fishing and the polarizer would be awesome!
WindKnot

Next

Return to GoPro Clear Vision