Welcome
Welcome to goprouser

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you full access to view most discussions and access.. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements if any. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today! Any issues email goprousergroup@gmail.com

gyro/gimbal - very cheap! HELP WANTED

Panning devices, SteadyCams, CableCams, Handheld gimbals etc.

gyro/gimbal - very cheap! HELP WANTED

Postby birdseyeview » Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:11 pm

Hello - first ever posting on any forum!

I enjoy my Hero2 but am no sportsman so my uses are a perhaps a bit different to the majority of folks. I particularly like doing time-lapse, egg-timer pannings and shots on a 10m pole. The pole gives a great BirdsEyeView of places and events. See YouTube channel wowandnotsowow if you are interested.

I've been trying to work out a ridiculously cheap and easy way to keep the camera 'stable' for some of my shots and don't want to pay for a steady-cam type device. I also don't have all of the skills and tools that some folks have to make some of the clever DIY solutions.

I found a £5 child's bowl which is designed to keep food level whatever angle the child might hold it at. This seemed a good starting point since it is effectively a ready-made gimbal. Having made a hole in the bottom of the bowl I pushed through a 1/4 inch bolt and attached my GoPro using the camera mount attachment. It seems as if what I have come up with could be good.

I know there are many ingenious minds out there and I would love others to look at my idea, adapt it, improve it, and give feedback via the forum. In particular I've not worked out how best to attach it to a boom pole! Also does any one have a very simple SMALL alternative to my 'invention'?

I hope you enjoy the challenge, or has someone already tried and succeeded?

THANKS

ImageImage
birdseyeview

Re: gyro/gimbal - very cheap! HELP WANTED

Postby 323f rock » Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:18 pm

Where did you get the bowl from?
I'd like to try to make a mount like yourself and that looks like a great starting point! :D
323f rock

Postby birdseyeview » Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:44 pm

Hi "Mr Rock",
I purchased it at a WHSmith shop (UK). It was on a wrong shelf amongst stationary which is how I spotted it. I'm sure other shops sell them as well. Plus they are available online - just search "bowl" and "gyro" and you should find it easily.
Enjoy!
birdseyeview

Postby PandaGFX » Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:00 am

the way you've mounted... only works when its suspended

in which case it'll be not much different to just hanging camera from a string?
PandaGFX

Postby 323f rock » Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:28 am

to make the camera the right way up you would need to add some weight to the other side perhaps a length of all thread with a weight at one end and the camera and the bowl at the other.

then construct a handle that attached to the blue rim, maybe a circle of ply wood and an old boom handle screwed to it something like this:

Part1.JPG
323f rock

Postby GoPro#1Fan » Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:41 am

PandaGFX wrote:the way you've mounted... only works when its suspended

in which case it'll be not much different to just hanging camera from a string?

I think with a string the camera'll move/rotate without control.
GoPro#1Fan

Postby GoPro#1Fan » Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:52 am

323f rock wrote:to make the camera the right way up you would need to add some weight to the other side perhaps a length of all thread with a weight at one end and the camera and the bowl at the other.

then construct a handle that attached to the blue rim, maybe a circle of ply wood and an old boom handle screwed to it something like this:

Part1.JPG

That sounds good!

Other option could be something like this:
GoPro#1Fan

Postby 323f rock » Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:27 am

yeah, would make the rig lighter as you wouldn't need an extra weight :D
323f rock

Postby birdseyeview » Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:30 am

Thank you to the folks who have posted so far - all ideas and comments appreciated. Keep them coming
birdseyeview

Postby PandaGFX » Thu Jan 10, 2013 2:07 am

the bowl is gimbal but no sign of "gyro" yet

Cheapest gyro is to find a dead(ish) 3.5" HDD that still spins up.
Open the casing and you should be able to unbolt everything;
all you want is the pancake motor & platters.
Power up motor from 12Vdc & it's a pretty strong gyro. :)
PandaGFX

Next

Return to GoPro In Motion