Welcome
Welcome to goprouser

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you full access to view most discussions and access.. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements if any. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today! Any issues email [email protected]

Hero 5 mic adapter hack

GoPro Hero 5 Black and Session

Hero 5 mic adapter hack

Postby herzogging » Mon Dec 19, 2016 1:26 pm

Hi, New to the forum and bought a Hero 5 Session to Vlog on a motorbike but found the mic adapter is 1/3 the price of the device! So, I am trying to work out a hack. I am in Hong Kong, so there are lots of sources to mix and match. Hopefully, with some guidance from some Boffin, I might be able to work out something that can be shared with others needing an alternative to a $50 cable.

So far, I have tried and failed:

USBC-3.5mm - bog standard and also the LeTV

Would it be worth plugging a USB mic into the charging cable?

Any other ideas welcome. I'll try and let you know.

I'm sure there is something available. Adapters for previous iterations of the Hero are just $3 here, and they work fine.
herzogging

Re: Hero 5 mic adapter hack

Postby Luke_Luke » Mon Dec 19, 2016 4:53 pm

I think that you need AD converter and some electronics around it it is not so simple like micro USB to 3.5mm jack for Hero 4.
I would like to buy the same device. I will be ok with some third party copy which has less dimensions and price around 10USD :-)
Luke_Luke

Postby herzogging » Tue Dec 20, 2016 10:38 am

Would it be possible to use the adapter from the Hero 4 and add a type C converter?
Attachments
hero 5 adapter solution.jpg
hero 5 adapter solution.jpg (40.7 KiB) Viewed 6769 times
herzogging

Postby Luke_Luke » Tue Dec 20, 2016 6:18 pm

No.
Luke_Luke

Postby pixelpaulart » Mon Dec 26, 2016 1:09 am

Amazon is just now carrying a USB-C audio adapter. It does have electronics in it, since you are going from a analog mic (3.5mm) to a digital input (USB-C). It's called an iNINJA USB-C audio adapter, for $15. There are no reviews on it yet, but I'm willing to gamble. I initially bought the gopro branded adapter, but found it was 1/3 the size of the camera! I shoot using a selfie stick and there was really no way to mount the adapter on the stick, so I sent it back.
pixelpaulart

Postby pixelpaulart » Thu Dec 29, 2016 11:35 am

I received the Ininja USB-C audio adapter and can confirm that it does NOT work on the Hero 5. The camera does not recognize the adapter in 'Preferences'. I was very disappointed--the size of the adapter is much more reasonable compared to the enormous gopro branded audio adapter. Back to the drawing boards...
pixelpaulart

Postby Luke_Luke » Thu Jan 05, 2017 7:51 pm

Hmm It is too bad :-( I was surprised that there is another solution and I was waiting tensely till you test it :-)
Luke_Luke

Postby suryaprihadi » Fri Jan 06, 2017 5:01 am

Guys, if you read Chief link on Black5 teardown, https://gethypoxic.com/blogs/technical/ ... ware-study
what was previously hero bus ( expansion port ) on rear of Hero4/3 is now turned into USB-C, any 3rd party device must first get GoPro approval since there is a chip which defines FRIEND of FOE for any special device connected via the USB_C , unless it is simple USB2.0 charging.

https://gethypoxic.com/blogs/technical/ ... interfaces

This is also important as USB-C standard from USB.Org is implemented properly in a GoPro ( GP got to pay licence to USB.Org for sure ), so that the fast 3amps charging can be conducted.

When this Google guy first bought many USB-C cables and chargers from Amazon, he found out that many are so bad, it can burn out the device.
https://www.reddit.com/r/Nexus6P/commen ... th_benson/
http://www.androidcentral.com/what-look ... d-adapters

Even 0.5 amp USB 2.0 cables, many are craps, let alone 3 amps approved USB-C cable.

So before you plug any 3rd party device using USB-C to your USB-C camera or USB-C smartphone, do some proper check first. USB-C is much more complex than USB2.0/3.0.
I am a Forum Sponsor not because I sell stuff.
I owe my knowledge to this forum and I would like to do some payback.
suryaprihadi
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Postby syilim » Thu Feb 16, 2017 3:28 pm

Does anyone know if the audio adapter would work if I connected it via a legit usb 3.0 type C cable to the H5? Something like this http://www.belkin.com/us/p/P-F2CU030/
I want to use the H5 on a gimbal like feiyu G5, but also with external audio. But the Audio adapter is too heavy, so only way to work on gimbal is to attach it to the handle as to not affect the motors. But the cable is too short and rigid, and therefore would only work if I could attach it via an usb c extension cable. Thanks for your help.
syilim

Next

Return to GoPro Hero5 Black and Session