Welcome
Welcome to goprouser

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you full access to view most discussions and access.. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements if any. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today! Any issues email goprousergroup@gmail.com

IGoMic - Stereo Microphone for GoPro

Discuss External Mics, Recorders, etc. No Camera Issues Please.

IGoMic - Stereo Microphone for GoPro

Postby iGoMic » Wed May 07, 2014 1:36 pm

The GoPro Hero3 supports stereo microphone input. The iGoMic from MicW is specially designed for GoPro. The iGoMic can be fixed on Hero3 nicely with the included shockmount. It uses a matched pair of capsules configured at 90 degree X-Y coincident.
http://www.micwaudio.com
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1 ... e_for.html

20131014_160445.jpg
iGoMic on GoPro

image.jpg
image.jpg (36.05 KiB) Viewed 11345 times

image.jpg
iGoMic
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Re: Stereo Microphone for GoPro

Postby Rambo » Wed May 07, 2014 2:26 pm

Half way through this video there is a comparison between the internal mic and the iGoMic, the difference in clarity is huge.

In this video you can hear an instrument recording (guitar) using the iGoMic with a GoPro.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So far I've found the iGoMic to be very sensitive compared to the internal mics and it's also much more sensitive than my Zoom H1 and Zoom H4n internal mics and slightly more directional being cardioid capsules.
Rambo
Site Admin

Postby Ifti » Fri May 16, 2014 6:39 am

Received my unit today.
Initial impressions are pretty good!!
The case is solid! Even hard to get open - looks completely waterproof and very confident in its ability to protect the items inside.
Mic itself looks of a very good quality - comes with the windscreen attached, and the mic holder and cables. Slightly larger then I had imagined, but if it captures some good audio I don't mind that one bit!

Will test audio quality and create a review soon.......
Ifti

How to use the MicW iGoMic(External stereo mic for GoPro)

Postby iGoMic » Mon Jun 09, 2014 6:56 pm

The iGoMic http://www.mic-w.com/product.php?id=113 is a new stereo microphone (XY 90 coincident) matched pair of capsules with a sensitivity of ± 1.0 dB for the GoPro camera range or for some DSLR and digital mirrorless camera's.
The iGoMic can record audio from 20Hz – 20 kHz, with a maximum sound pressure level of 115 dB.
The iGomic provides a wide stereo image with natural depth and ideal for recording music, sport events and ambient sound.
To enable a flawless recording, the microphone can be mounted with the PP011 rod onto the GoPro. Or it can be mounted on one of the many GoPro accessories as shown below.
The iGoMic should always be mounted with X on top, for the best stereo image.

Please be aware, that when the iGoMic is mounted onto the Hero / Dsrl camera, the stereo image, might differ, when the camera is not pointed in a horizontal position and towards the audio source.
For outdoor use, we recommend a fluffy windshield (dead cat) to prevent against wind and moist) Most dead cat manufacturers, provide excellent products for 20 mm diameter microphones.
Attention. Be alert, that some of the dead cat sizes, might be in the frame, due the super view of the wide angle lenses of some cameras.

This can be achieved, to mount the iGoMic with a GoPro accessory on a tripod, and use a standard 3.5mm stereo extension cable.

With the MicW mini boom (BM100) and extension cable, the iGoMic can capture free from the camera angle, the best stereo image.

Many of the GoPro accessories, provide great functionality to mount the iGoMic according your requirements.

Post Production.
The raw video recorded with the Gopro or DSLR camera can be edited with editing software such as:
GoPro Studio, Garage Band, iMovie etc etc.
With such software the images and sound can be improved and or modified.
iGoMic
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Postby sabrinagasse » Wed Jun 11, 2014 6:51 pm

i also use the iGoMic for carsounds and it is really good!
sabrinagasse

VIDEO REVIEW - iGoMic Stereo Mic for GoPro

Postby Ifti » Sat Jul 05, 2014 8:11 am

Ifti

Postby Rambo » Sat Jul 05, 2014 11:06 am

One must remember this is a directional cardioid mic in stereo XY arrangement, which basically means its designed to pick up from the direction it's facing ( and the sides) and reject rear sounds. Where it excels is capturing a stereo image of an approaching race car as it passes the camera and other ambiance scenes like waterfalls, ocean sounds, live events, or other situations where sound separation is require when processed as stereo out of your editor. For voice/interview, it's ok but lacks a bit of low range or richness, cheap mono lavs actually perform better here.

When setting up follow the recommendation above to have the XY openings on the mic aligned or the stereo image will suffer, I found this out the hard way.

Rating

Voice/ interview - 5/10
Ambient recordings - 8/10
Engine/exhaust sounds ( when properly isolated and wind protected) 8/10

I'm loving it for live event capture, where a GoPro is set up to continuously record a wide shot where there is always constant noise present ( to keep the gopro AGC level from rising to high), don't wish to sync in post and I'm using my Zoom H1's and H4N's for other purposes. It's a bit pricey, but is a complete kit ( dead cat would have been nice inclusion)
Rambo
Site Admin

Re: IGoMic - Stereo Microphone for GoPro

Postby Andy-man » Wed Sep 24, 2014 1:24 am

How did you place the mic for engine sounds? Pointing at exhaust, in the trunk, etc? I won a kit (shipping as I type) and want to use it on a trip to the tail of the dragon next week. I'll make a dead cat this weekend. Also I wonder if the mic will work with a 10' extension line between the gopro and the mic so that I could tape it under the hood of my car or just above the exhaust? Any comments?
Andy-man

Re: IGoMic - Stereo Microphone for GoPro

Postby websiteauthor » Fri Nov 14, 2014 1:14 am

I purchased the iGoMic and I'm anxious to try it out. All the examples I've seen show the boom taking the place of the silver nut that is standard on all the camera mounts - without the silver nut, the bolt goes through the mount and into the boom. Unfortunately, I see no way to remove the nut from any of the mounts - skeleton mount, frame or any others, the silver nut does not come off.

How do I remove the nut from the mount so I can screw the bolt through the camera mount and into the mic boom?
websiteauthor

Next

Return to GoPro Audio