Welcome
Welcome to goprouser

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you full access to view most discussions and access.. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements if any. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today! Any issues email [email protected]

Import non GoPro Jpegs into GoPro studio

Discussion of All GoPro Studio Software Versions and issues

Import non GoPro Jpegs into GoPro studio

Postby Mr_Raditch » Thu Sep 25, 2014 4:30 pm

Hi guys,

I'm in the process of editing a bunch footage I filmed on a recent fishing holiday to Malaysia. I wanted to import a fair few Jpegs I took with my Nikon D90 into the video. However GoPro studio kept crashing whenever I would try to import them. From what I could gather online this was a problem many people had come across trying to import non GoPro jpegs into GoPro studio. I spent the last 24hrs between jobs scrolling through various forums trying to find a solution. I came across one that involved re-sizing frames, wiping metadata & pasting the image onto an existing GoPro jpeg. This was way to complicated & time consuming to use for the amount of photos I wanted to use, so I kept looking for a quicker & easier solution.

After a bit of trial & error I've come up with a solution that will hopefully be of a benefit to the rest of you.

> Downloaded a program called "Pixillion Image Converter" (It's freeware but I'm not sure on the forum rules for linking foreign sites so I wont paste the link)

> Add the jpeg you want to work with in Pixilion.

> Keep the output format as Jpeg

> Un-check the box that says "Preserve Metadata"

> Rename the new file in the GoPro format e.g. GOPR0001

> Hit convert

> Enjoy importing as many Jpegs as you want into GoPro studio without it crashing.
Mr_Raditch

Re: Import non GoPro Jpegs into GoPro studio

Postby Sanctious » Sun Oct 12, 2014 12:05 pm

Where were you last month?! lol. I struggled with this same issue so hard. Your solution is great. I came up with another one though since I only needed it for a few photos and I don't like downloading more things. My way involves cropping the photo in an in-browser photo editor. This way is also free.

>Go to: http://apps.pixlr.com/editor/
>Select image
>Change constraint to Width: 4000 Height: 3000
>Select area of photo
>click somewhere off the photo
>Yes, save the photo
>File> save to your computer
Full tutorial here:
Last edited by Sanctious on Thu Dec 18, 2014 2:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sanctious

Postby Roman » Wed Oct 15, 2014 1:38 am

Greetings,

Still struggling here on the JPEG files. I've tried each of the two conversion softwares according to your directions. They load cleanly and conversions appear in list. When I proceed to edit, the files are immediately sliced diagonally and distorted in color and shape. Iv'e tried to resize to a 4000 x 3000 pixel format prior tyo loading and converting to JPEG, preserve metadat is unchecked.
Any guesses,
Thanks!
Roman

Postby Sanctious » Tue Nov 11, 2014 11:33 am

Roman wrote:Greetings,

Still struggling here on the JPEG files.!

Have you solved this yet? If not, do you have screenshots? That sounds really funky. Once it successfully converts, I can't see why anything would go wrong
Sanctious

Postby Boatname » Wed Dec 03, 2014 2:59 pm

I have to agree that this is frustrating particularly as Studio lets you EXPORT a still from a video (Share ... Export Still) but because it doesn't save it as a GoPro format you can't reimport it.

I was working on a video and wanted to freeze someones face for say a 5 second interval then let the video continue.

Simple fix in reality was to finish the edit in Studio, save it, then open iMovie , split the clip where I wanted the face and simply inserted the jpeg.
Boatname

Postby Sanctious » Fri Dec 05, 2014 2:15 pm

Boatname wrote:I have to agree that this is frustrating particularly as Studio lets you EXPORT a still from a video (Share ... Export Still) but because it doesn't save it as a GoPro format you can't reimport it.

I was working on a video and wanted to freeze someones face for say a 5 second interval then let the video continue.

Simple fix in reality was to finish the edit in Studio, save it, then open iMovie , split the clip where I wanted the face and simply inserted the jpeg.

Really that doesn't work? As a work around maybe you can make a clip only 1 frame long and adjust the speed to like 1% or something.
Sanctious

Postby Sanctious » Thu Dec 11, 2014 3:59 pm

Roman wrote:Still struggling here on the JPEG files. I've tried each of the two conversion softwares according to your directions. They load cleanly and conversions appear in list. When I proceed to edit, the files are immediately sliced diagonally and distorted in color and shape. Iv'e tried to resize to a 4000 x 3000 pixel format prior tyo loading and converting to JPEG, preserve metadat is unchecked.

I managed to recreate this scenario. I got a diagonally sliced picture too. I figure it was because the picture was really small. Something like 225x225. I was able to blow that up to 4000x3000 and as you can guess, it was extremely blurry! If you can copy and paste it on top of something that already 4000x3000 then that'll work as a work around
Sanctious

Postby shekh » Sat Dec 13, 2014 12:58 am

I managed to recreate this scenario. I got a diagonally sliced picture too. I figure it was because the picture was really small. Something like 225x225.

This sounds like coding error involving alignment. May help padding image to 16 with blackness, like 240*240
shekh

Postby Sanctious » Sat Dec 13, 2014 1:35 am

shekh wrote:This sounds like coding error involving alignment. May help padding image to 16 with blackness, like 240*240

I have no idea what that means lol. I'm not actually having any problems. I was just trying to help the other guy with his. But just for my own curiosity could you explain that again in easier terms?
Sanctious

Postby shekh » Sat Dec 13, 2014 2:09 am

Well, in image libraries it is common to handle pixels in blocks (for example 16). This works great if image size is 1024, 4000 etc.
But if something messed up and the size is "wrong" it may produce diagonally sliced picture
Dont know if thats the case with gopro.

I would check these two things:
image size - safest divisible by 16
chroma subsampling - may be messed too (gopro creates YUV422 jpegs afaik)
shekh

Next

Return to GoPro Studio Software