Welcome
Welcome to goprouser

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you full access to view most discussions and access.. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements if any. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today! Any issues email [email protected]

MacBook pro??

Mac related Editing Software but NOT GoPro Studio

MacBook pro??

Postby Juliedaisy » Mon Nov 24, 2014 7:38 pm

Hello Forgive me if this has been asked loads of times before but I have done loads of searching and still no clearer.

I recently purchased a go pro 4 silver. My pc laptop is a packard bell easy note tj65 it prob about 4-5 years old. I had loads of trouble initially getting go pro studio to run but with the help of the support team its on my lap top and running. I say running, it does crash quite a bit and I have several times lost a good few hours work. :cry:

So I'm thinking of biting the bullet and getting a new laptop (expensive camera this is turning out to be). I am so tempted to go for a MacBook pro with retina. I'm a total novice with all things computer and camera I want what will be easy - I have iPhone and iPad and can use those so really tempted to jump to Mac.?

What are people thoughts on the laptop I'm looking at - I don't understand the technical jargon but showed the guy in the shop the requirements for gps and he said it would do the job. Will this solve my crashing problems and enable me to enjoy my go pro.

Any help greatly appreciated jules
Juliedaisy

Re: MacBook pro??

Postby Ifti » Mon Nov 24, 2014 10:44 pm

Any current MacBook Pro - even the base models - will allow you to edit perfectly fine.
I don't use GoPro Studio at all - I import straight into FCPX.
iMovie is free on the MAC and is another fantastic editor.
Ifti

Postby Juliedaisy » Mon Nov 24, 2014 11:17 pm

Thanks for the reply. I am getting a bit more confused as I continue 'googling'. Apple told me the MacBook Air would not meet my needs but other people seem to say it would be fine (I only do simple video editing) I've also read that a 13" screen will be too small? Any thoughts anyone?
Juliedaisy

Postby Ifti » Tue Nov 25, 2014 1:12 am

Juliedaisy wrote:Thanks for the reply. I am getting a bit more confused as I continue 'googling'. Apple told me the MacBook Air would not meet my needs but other people seem to say it would be fine (I only do simple video editing) I've also read that a 13" screen will be too small? Any thoughts anyone?

I used to edit on a 13" screen perfectly fine - although a larger screen really does help when you want to see more of the timeline at a particular point, as well as seeing the preview.

A good spec MacBook Air will edit perfectly fine if you are only looking for simple editing. Hell, it'll even run FCPX perfectly fine (I have a MacBook Air as well as a MacBook Pro ;) ). However, a MacBook Air is built for portability, hence its size and thickness. Bear in mind when editing, with all the rendering and exporting, the system will be working hard, and this produces heat. Although the MBA will edit fine, the MacBook Pro handles heat a lot better, since it has more space in the chassis with 'proper' airflow - air intakes as well as vents for heat to be pushed out of, and so on.

At the end of the day, either system is perfectly fine for editing - although I'd personally recommend the Pro due to the better coolong system and heat management. I personally use my Pro for all editing, and do all my basic browsing/emails, and other tasks on my Air. A perfect combo!
Ifti

Postby Juliedaisy » Tue Nov 25, 2014 3:43 am

That's great info thx so much. Unfortunately can't afford both and really like the retina display on the pro so think that's what I'll head for. Hoping some good desks on Black Friday if I can cope with the queues!
Juliedaisy

Postby beckp » Tue Nov 25, 2014 8:09 am

Ifti wrote:Any current MacBook Pro - even the base models - will allow you to edit perfectly fine.
I don't use GoPro Studio at all - I import straight into FCPX.
iMovie is free on the MAC and is another fantastic editor.

Know of any good free FCPX lessons/tutorials? I have FCPX but frankly I'm intimidated. Using GoPro Studio was my first venture into video editing and I'm still a newb with that program.
beckp

Postby sjmarcy » Tue Nov 25, 2014 4:07 pm

FCPX is awesome. There are lots of tutorials out there on YouTube for example. Find a series with which you can connect, play it on one computer while following along on another in FCPX.

Really the best way to learn it is by using it. Then you add a new trick or technique each time you can.
sjmarcy

Postby suryaprihadi » Tue Nov 25, 2014 5:41 pm

Julie,
The more powerful the computer is the more comfortable one will work on the video file.

Personally I will reccomend a desktop system because it has a more robust cooling system and is faster orange to orange than a Laptop of same CPU family. However, if you do not want to have two units, one is a travelling laptop and the other is a desktop, laptop make sense...even with its limitation.

Cooling system MacBook Pro wise is not that great, surely better than Mac Air. MacBP protects good look over real proper cooling system air-path. The two fans are fast, its the incoming air path not that good and the exhaust air also get sort of slowed down at the rear of the laptop, all in the name of good-looks. I bought my eldest son a 2012 MBP and my two other kids a Lenovo W540. One of the Lenovo W540 is for my 12 years old daughter who does video all the laptops are on 2nd best CPU line for its time during purchase. I personally for travelling use Lenovo W530.

Push hard, my son MBP can't do as well as Lenovo-s in cooling department and he is not on Retina screen ...which is hotter a lot than regular 1080p screen. Bear in mind my family is in the tropics at 30C all day as "cool" :mrgreen: , that is approx 86F. So cooling system is priority no 1.

Happy shopping...
I am a Forum Sponsor not because I sell stuff.
I owe my knowledge to this forum and I would like to do some payback.
suryaprihadi
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Postby sjmarcy » Tue Nov 25, 2014 6:05 pm

That might be an extreme case cooling wise. When I used to live in Connecticut, it rarely hit that temperature in the Summer, and only from about 11-2:30. Outdoors.

Most of my renders in FCPX are for 1-4 minute clips with various effects, transitions etc added. They generally render at or better than real time. So, about 1-4 minutes of processing time on a rMBP. No heat issues of particular note. It does run cooler if on the raised / angled stand I have noticed. But it does not seem to be meaningfully slowed or sped up in my duration and room temperatures around 70º F.

There are also different strategies that seem to help speed up the process, which cuts heat too.
sjmarcy

Postby suryaprihadi » Tue Nov 25, 2014 6:15 pm

My daughter and my son renders longer videos. Usually 10 minutes or more.
My son is in special effect school and MBP is the standard appointed model/laptop from the school back in 2012
I however bought him a 6 core i7-3930K desktop with Noctua cooler and lots of fans.
He like to use that instead of his MBP due to speed and 24" screen real estate.
His MBP runs that dual OS thingy, one is Windows and one is Mac.

MBP dump a lot of heat to laptop bottom, hence on a raised platform/stand it is useful.
Usually my son place 2 books as stand... ha ha ha, as MBP in our climate is a lap/thigh burner.
Me having old eyes, laptop is a last resort only... :( minimum 24" screen or I feel blind and I still zoom 125%...LOL
I am a Forum Sponsor not because I sell stuff.
I owe my knowledge to this forum and I would like to do some payback.
suryaprihadi
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Next

Return to Mac