Welcome
Welcome to goprouser

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you full access to view most discussions and access.. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements if any. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today! Any issues email goprousergroup@gmail.com

My GoPro Hero 2 Stops recording automatically. Why?

This Old Forum unlocked but ARCHIVED.

Re: My GoPro Hero 2 Stops recording automatically. Why?

Postby biggestmexi » Wed Jan 02, 2013 7:21 am

I still have this issue after following the steps presented.

I have the Hero2 and it stops at 1.86gb (7:35 minutes) in one file then the other part is 12.3MB and (0.02 seconds).

I am going to reformat the SD card from PC, then format from the gopro again and try it once more.
biggestmexi

Postby Tropica » Thu Jan 03, 2013 2:57 am

It appears this might be a much bigger problem, and I think it might be related to the Protune update...

I’ve recently purchased a GoPro Hero2 camera with a WiFi BacPac. I immediately upgraded to the latest firmware (HD2.08.12.198.WIFI.R47.00) for the Hero2 and the WiFi BacPac (via CineForm Studio) to access the neat-sounding Protune features. I’ve only used the GoPro USB lead to connect to my PC for Protune-mediated upgrades.

I’m trying to shoot long video runs –ideally up to the full capacity of a single battery. I’m assuming that a c. 2.5 hr battery lifespan will be shorter than the video capacity of my SD card. If only I was able to get close to testing that... I am aware that the new firmware is meant to chapter long video runs into 1.9Gb files that can be stitched together to give a seamless sequence.

My problem is that when I’ve shot with Protune turned on, my Hero2 continually stalls shortly after a chaptering at 1.9Gb. Sometimes I will get only 1 full 1.9Gb chapter, sometimes 2, and occasionally 3. Yet always after the last full 1.9Gb chapter (c. 7:34 min at 720/60), I will always then get an additional chapter of 2 seconds (c 12Mb) then the video stops shooting (with three beeps). The camera does not turn itself off, and it is possible to re-start the shooting almost straight away by pressing the shutter button (on either the camera or the WiFi bacpac). No changing of any alternative camera settings, hardware or shooting environment will change that. The batteries also tend to last only about 1hr - much shorter than the website states.

I’m using new C10 rated SanDisk Ultra 32Gb cards (reals, not fakes) formatted as FAT32. I’ve tried these (i) formatted in a card reader on my PC via File Explorer on my PC, (ii) formatted in a card reader on my PC with SDFormatter V3.1 (from sdcard.org, as per chaptering-and-detritus-files-t9627.html#p54300), (iii) formatted in the Hero2, and (iv) both with SDFormatter first, followed by re-formatting in the Hero2. Changing cards makes no difference (I’ve tried 3 so far).

I’ve also got a number of different Hero2 batteries, and changing these doesn’t change the problem at all (or change the worryingly fast draw-down rate).

I’ve tried shooting:

- moving around in sunny weather outdoors as well as stationary in an air conditioned office (in case heat or battery dislodging was a problem)
- with and without the WiFi BacPac (in case the WiFi BacPac was interfering with things)
- at 1080/30 and 720/60 (both of these settings I have to get working for the work I’m doing)
- with both the waterproof and skeleton backs and the camera out of the housing entirely (I thought over-heating might have been an issue in the waterproof housing)

It appears I am not the only person having this problem recently:

my-gopro-hero-2-stops-recording-automatically-why-t5104-20.html#p59685
http://www.youtube.com/all_comments?v=mpSWNBzXx7g

However, as soon as I turn Protune off in the camera settings (in more limited testing over the past day), I appear to be able to shoot nice long video runs (still chaptered into 1.9Gb segments obviously) – up to one run per battery. It will do this at both 1080/30 and 720/60, and the battery life is considerably improved (much closer to the c. 2.5 hrs GoPro claim), admittedly with it sitting on my table.

I’d really appreciate hearing from anyone who might have any solutions (apart from not using Protune or selling it for a Hero3)! Having Protune (and the associated extras) available on the Hero2 was a big feature for me, and I’m not going to be happy if this is not a workable option on the Hero2...

Thanks.
Tropica

Postby jperez » Thu Jan 03, 2013 6:20 pm

I must be an exception to all the things you're not supposed to do and still have the camera work fine.

I swap between two 32 gig cards, charge ONLY through PC, delete individual clips, use my micro sd cards on my PC and occasionally store media on them, don't always re format on camera, etc, etc.
jperez

Postby flareside » Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:05 pm

Tropica wrote:It appears this might be a much bigger problem, and I think it might be related to the Protune update...

Yeah, there is a whole thread on the subject. gopro-protune-released-t9382.html
flareside

Postby Tropica » Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:44 pm

@flareside - after reading full the full 36 pages of the thread you list (that rambles between a whole range of possible causes for freezing, hanging, stalling and bricking), I was unable to find anyone who described the particular chaptering stall problem I'm having. Have I missed the critical post? The problems I described don't appear to me to be a random freezing issue, but a very repeatable stalling issue that happens exactly 2 seconds after a 1.9Gb chaptering.

@rambo - after searching carefully on many pages of this GoPro forum and a number of others, it was biggestmexi's post above (from yesterday - Wed 2nd Jan 2013) that described a problem most similar to mine (as well as Chad Johnson's posts on the youtube link I posted above). I apologise for adding to an old post, but I thought that keeping similar items together might be worthwhile...

Further testing today suggests that the only way I can replicate the 2-second post-chaptering stall is by having Protune on. With Protune turned off (still with v198 firmware installed) everything works fine with all hardware options and all software setting combinations...
Tropica

Postby biggestmexi » Fri Jan 04, 2013 1:52 am

Sorry Rambo.

This is really the only thing that comes up once googled.

I am glad that I am not the only problem and have someone else that has an idea. I am going to turn protune off to see what happens.

Thanks.
biggestmexi

Postby mikerb » Fri Jan 04, 2013 8:04 am

Rambo wrote:Gopro is reluctant to put this stuff in manuals or guides otherwise it would appears the Gopro cameras connect-ability to other devices may not be optimal and that you may have to purchase additional hardware (card reader) Also it appears they want you to use Cineform Studio for FW updates, i guess so when the paid version comes out soon, you will familiar and probably buy it. (GoPro are good marketers but they also have a great product)

What we post here in this independent GoPro User forum, are workflows based on personal user experience and from analyzing threads over many months/years.

I'm debating whether to make this information part of an FAQ as it conflicts so much with the manuals/guides. I guess listing it as a recommendation or alternative workflow would be best.

One thing for sure, if Gopro adopted the guidelines above, they would have a lot less returned cameras.
Any comments???????????

I agree it would help those new to this forum but I also wonder what we could do to throw a bit more light on this whole area. I currently only have a Gopro960 HD ( still waiting for my black) but in 2 years of continuous use I have never experienced a single problem.....and I both charge and download files via a USB connection. I know many others also use the USB connection as per the manual...presumably without problems. So it seems to me that certain PC hardware/operating system combinations create problems whilst others do not. It also seems to be the case that other camcorders do not suffer these problems regardless of the PC hardware/software configuration. That leads me to think that there is something specifically different about the way Gopro manages the various forms of software storeage required for its operation.......ROM, RAM, SD Card. It is that difference in operation perhaps that makes Gopro susceptible whilst other (experienced major camera brands) seem immune. It certainly appears that Gopro uses the SD card for more than just raw video files, either temporarilly or possibly from one video session to the next. If we knew how the Gopro was operating we may know a lot more about what dangers any specific type of USB connection presented.Surely there are members of this forum who are able to read the firmware code and understand the basics of its operational process?
mikerb

Postby Rambo » Fri Jan 04, 2013 8:18 am

Tropica wrote:
@rambo - after searching carefully on many pages of this GoPro forum and a number of others, it was biggestmexi's post above (from yesterday - Wed 2nd Jan 2013) that described a problem most similar to mine (as well as Chad Johnson's posts on the youtube link I posted above). I apologise for adding to an old post, but I thought that keeping similar items together might be worthwhile...

Nothing wrong with resurrecting old threads, that's why they are still accessible. The reason i posted a reminder this was an old thread was judging by some of the recent posts, some of you were unaware the first 2 pages contain 12mth old info and due to the January time code looks recent. Some is still relevant, some needs to be updated.

@jperez and mikerb.... of course there are many people not having issues using USB direct to charge and download files etc, but over the life of this forum as many of the long term members like Marty and Surya will tell you, following the recommendations Birder compiled (mostly from info and evidence supplied to him) a huge number of members have fixed all their issues when adopting the recommendations. BTW Birder was the most skeptical of all till he did his homework and found it was good practice, that was why he made the list. Just like lots of people unplug ext hard drives without doing the safe removal PC procedure, some never have issues, some corrupt their drives. All we know is it fixes lots issues members have and that makes them happy without having to know WHY.

R
Rambo
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Old Forum Topics - HD1, HD2 & HD3