Welcome
Welcome to goprouser

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you full access to view most discussions and access.. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements if any. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today! Any issues email [email protected]

New to the External Mic - Help!

Discuss External Mics, Recorders, etc. No Camera Issues Please.

Re: New to the External Mic - Help!

Postby Ifti » Mon Aug 03, 2015 4:03 am

gaza4 wrote:
zoarquenix wrote:I see. Is there any required specifications when choosing a good mic for GoPro camera? Like yours for example. Or any mic (lav/shotgun) will do?

no not really, any mic will do, it all just depends on the level of quality you want, how flexible it needs to be etc...

Ifti wrote:Aha, an audio guy!!!
A slight deviation from the topic, but a quick question...... I use a Rode Lav Mic (not the cheap Smart Lav, the expensive one!) connected to a Zoom H1 most of the time. Considering Im using the external mic and not the built in mic whatsoever, would I increase audio quality by using a H4N instead, or would it be a waste of money??
Cheers!

The H4N might give a better result, it has more built in features. i havent done any testing on this but i would imagine the difference would be minimal. If you really want to improve audio quality start with the mic...

I spent craploads on this Rode Lav Mic thinking it would be the best I could get for use with the Zoom H1 - for voiceovers in my videos! lol
Im still not happy though, but I know nothing when it comes to audio!!
Ifti

Postby sidd finch » Mon Aug 03, 2015 6:46 am

Audio is exceptionally tricky and there are many factors. Quality mics are important but they are just one piece in the chain. Environment is a huge factor in what you are recording. Depending on the acoustics of the room and your proximity to the mic can have very varied results.

You also need to look at the specs of the capture device. plugging a Rolls Royce mic into a crappy recorder will not improve the recording much. GoPro does not record very good audio regardless of the mic used. Their focus is the image quality.

Also the zoom type recorders have really optimized their mics to work best with their recorders. Plugging in an external mic might not improve the recording.

You also want to look at the polar pattern of the mic to determine what your needs are some are designed for ambient use (condenser) and some are designed for the user to be right up on the mics.

Sidd
sidd finch

Postby gaza4 » Mon Aug 03, 2015 7:53 am

Ifti wrote:I spent craploads on this Rode Lav Mic thinking it would be the best I could get for use with the Zoom H1 - for voiceovers in my videos! lol
Im still not happy though, but I know nothing when it comes to audio!!

for use with the H1 the Rode probably is one of the best you can get, but thats only because you are limited to the 3.5mm jack input. in general i wouldnt use a lav mic for a VO but your videos dont sound to bad considering.

you could try using a reflection filter, as Sidd said the room can be a factor in sound recording and these filters help contain your voice instead of it bouncing around the room. this is especially important when using condensers as they are so sensitive. a reflection filter can easily be homemade using some acoustic foam or a similar foam found in packaging boxes.

sidd finch wrote:Audio is exceptionally tricky and there are many factors. Quality mics are important but they are just one piece in the chain. Environment is a huge factor in what you are recording. Depending on the acoustics of the room and your proximity to the mic can have very varied results.

You also need to look at the specs of the capture device. plugging a Rolls Royce mic into a crappy recorder will not improve the recording much. GoPro does not record very good audio regardless of the mic used. Their focus is the image quality.

Also the zoom type recorders have really optimized their mics to work best with their recorders. Plugging in an external mic might not improve the recording.

You also want to look at the polar pattern of the mic to determine what your needs are some are designed for ambient use (condenser) and some are designed for the user to be right up on the mics.

Sidd

all good points especially regarding the room and cardiod patterns. i do disagree with what you said about using external mics on the zooms. a good mic plugged into a zoom will always sound better than the built ins
gaza4

Postby zoarquenix » Wed Aug 05, 2015 12:40 pm

I see..
For a standart, simple, and daily usage, H1 is already suitable i guess. I'll take further look and info about Zoom's devices and all of yours advices above. Thank you everybody for the reply and discussions!
zoarquenix

Previous

Return to GoPro Audio