Welcome
Welcome to goprouser

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you full access to view most discussions and access.. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements if any. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today! Any issues email [email protected]

New to the External Mic - Help!

Discuss External Mics, Recorders, etc. No Camera Issues Please.

New to the External Mic - Help!

Postby zoarquenix » Fri Jul 17, 2015 2:42 am

Hello guys. I am thinking of getting an external microphone for my Hero3+ BE. I'm really new on this audio thing and don't have any clue about it. Been reading lots of in this section but still don't get it.

My main purpose of getting external mic is for the sound quality produced in the videos. Like GoPro produced videos, the sound is so clear and crisp. Somehow, i want to try making some videos like 'em that includes interviews or narration in the video. And like some biker youtuber (for example Royal Jordanian), they record their ride with GoPro, but the sound is so clear, no wind noise whatsoever.

Need some suggestions from you guys who knows about this thing. No need to be the best and expensive, a decent one but good quality, with best price and useable is enough i guess..
1. What kind of gear that i need to buy? A lav or? I only know about shotgun mic (because it's big and pointed) and lavalier (that's attached to body)
2. Do i need an audio recorder for the mic? Or i just plug in the mic to the GoPro via mic adapter?
3. How do you guys set it up, if you're shooting a video like GoPro made (with an interview and narrative)?

Any suggestions and guide, whether directly or a link to this thing would be very appreciated. I'm kind of person who willing to learn more and find information about what i'm going to buy before buying it, so i don't spend money on something i dont understand and i cant use lol. Imagine i spent so much money on the wrong mic, not compatible and so on. Ahh it'll be disaster! :lol:
zoarquenix

Re: New to the External Mic - Help!

Postby iGoMic » Thu Jul 30, 2015 11:58 am

Hi Zoarquenix,
I think MicW iGoMic MiniShotgun will fit your demands.
http://www.mic-w.com/product.php?id=123
iGoMic
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Postby Ifti » Thu Jul 30, 2015 8:45 pm

You will need to use the GoPro Mic Adapter in order to attach an external mic. The type of mic you need (lab, shotgun, etc) depends upon the type of videos you are looking to create. The below videos may be of use:

I have a review of the iGoMic Mini Shotgun mic mentioned by the above user coming very shortly on the channel ;)
Ifti

Postby Fotodiox Pro » Fri Jul 31, 2015 5:22 am

Hi zoarquenix,

Here's a video we made featuring our GoPro external mic solution.

The GoTough line from Fotodiox features a wide array of top-notch accessories, filters, rigs and cases for GoPro cameras. Click HERE to check out our entire GoTough line.
Fotodiox Pro
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Postby gaza4 » Fri Jul 31, 2015 1:58 pm

My personal audio set up for any video is usually a combo of:

Zoom H4N & Rode NGT2 shotgun as an overhead
Image Image

and
Zoom H1 & Azden EX-503 lav on whoever is on camera
Image Image

For voice overs and narration the shotgun does a good job but a nice condenser mic would be the preferred option. I have the Audio Technica AT2035 but any studio mic should do...

I always like to record my audio to a separate device as it saves me having to strip it from the original video file in order to edit it.

I should also mention the the quality of both Zoom devices built in on board mics are very good and using external mics is not 100% necessary (circumstances pending of course). They are a great place to start and then expand upon as your needs outgrow them as primary stand alone devices.
gaza4

Postby zoarquenix » Fri Jul 31, 2015 5:56 pm

Wow. Thank you so much for the reply guys!
I've watched all your video already, especially yours Ifti. You did a great and super in-depth product review :lol:
Now i got more insight and options about the external mic solutions. The Zoom H1 and lav mic seems good, considering about the portability, but the zoom H4n is more interesting (damn, i always want with more feature XD).
I see that Zoom is an audio recorder, that makes it not necessarily had to be attached to the GoPro. That's nice!

Gaza4, so you're recording with 3 separate audio (GoPro internal mic, H4N+Rode Shotgun, and H1+Lav) in one video. Then join and sync them altogether?

Thank you so much for all the insight guys! The road is clearer now! :lol:
zoarquenix

Postby gaza4 » Sat Aug 01, 2015 12:24 am

zoarquenix wrote:Gaza4, so you're recording with 3 separate audio (GoPro internal mic, H4N+Rode Shotgun, and H1+Lav) in one video. Then join and sync them altogether?

pretty much yeah, i work with the audio files in Adobe Audition and then sync them all up in Premiere pro.

my main camera is usually a DSLR (theres also a Rode Video Mic Pro on that for cover), I only use my GoPro as an action camera, never a primary.

the only advantage to the H4N over the H1 I find is having the XLR ports. Other than that they both do essentially the same job...as audio recorders that is. The H4N does have a better built in mic but i never use it.
gaza4

Postby zoarquenix » Sun Aug 02, 2015 12:48 pm

gaza4 wrote:pretty much yeah, i work with the audio files in Adobe Audition and then sync them all up in Premiere pro.

my main camera is usually a DSLR (theres also a Rode Video Mic Pro on that for cover), I only use my GoPro as an action camera, never a primary.

the only advantage to the H4N over the H1 I find is having the XLR ports. Other than that they both do essentially the same job...as audio recorders that is. The H4N does have a better built in mic but i never use it.

I see. Is there any required specifications when choosing a good mic for GoPro camera? Like yours for example. Or any mic (lav/shotgun) will do?
zoarquenix

Postby Ifti » Mon Aug 03, 2015 12:26 am

gaza4 wrote:

Aha, an audio guy!!!
A slight deviation from the topic, but a quick question...... I use a Rode Lav Mic (not the cheap Smart Lav, the expensive one!) connected to a Zoom H1 most of the time. Considering Im using the external mic and not the built in mic whatsoever, would I increase audio quality by using a H4N instead, or would it be a waste of money??
Cheers!
Ifti

Postby gaza4 » Mon Aug 03, 2015 1:26 am

zoarquenix wrote:I see. Is there any required specifications when choosing a good mic for GoPro camera? Like yours for example. Or any mic (lav/shotgun) will do?

no not really, any mic will do, it all just depends on the level of quality you want, how flexible it needs to be etc...

Ifti wrote:Aha, an audio guy!!!
A slight deviation from the topic, but a quick question...... I use a Rode Lav Mic (not the cheap Smart Lav, the expensive one!) connected to a Zoom H1 most of the time. Considering Im using the external mic and not the built in mic whatsoever, would I increase audio quality by using a H4N instead, or would it be a waste of money??
Cheers!

The H4N might give a better result, it has more built in features. i havent done any testing on this but i would imagine the difference would be minimal. If you really want to improve audio quality start with the mic...
gaza4

Next

Return to GoPro Audio