Welcome
Welcome to goprouser

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you full access to view most discussions and access.. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today! Any issues email goprousergroup@gmail.com

O-ring seal maintenance ???

This Old Forum is now locked but ARCHIVED, if anyone wants a thread resurrected, let us know and it will be transferred to the Updated Forums.

O-ring seal maintenance ???

Postby old-digger » Thu Aug 23, 2012 1:54 am

I am a new GoPro owner and wanted to know if we are supposed to use silicon grease on the seals for the dive housing. I can't find anything on this and just want to make sure I do right by the camera. thanks!
old-digger

Re: O-ring seal maintenance ???

Postby OttawaMan » Thu Aug 23, 2012 5:43 am

I have a Canon dive housing that has a very similar looking seal and I use silicone grease on it for sure...I plan on doing the same with my GroPro Dive housing although like you said, I haven't seen any documentation on this other than make sure you keep it clean.
OttawaMan

Postby martcerv » Thu Aug 23, 2012 3:55 pm

I think the general rule is if a seal requires silicon grease it will be well documented along with the few o-rings that specifically say silicon grease is not to be used as this will damage the rubber in some cases.

The gopro seal is neither of those 2 so its not required and I have never used any greaese, I do thoroughly check them all prior to use and I havent noticed any issues with the rubber. Obviously do not store them in direct sunlight and ensure they are in good condition and very clean prior to using around water. If you notive the rubber degrading or any little crack dont use it but so far mine appear as good as new still without ever being greased. The grease itself will not do much other then attract more dirt and dust to get caught in it increasing your risk of a leak.

If it is necessary for you to use grease any any rubber o-ring this will always be clearly marked in the usage manual and most of the time a sticker saying so will be on the product. This is because most people dont read the manual and so the manufacturer will make it very clear if this is a required way of using it.
Forum Moderator

Support our Sponsors - Click the Links
Surya Prihadi - Advanced GoPro Tester
Snake River Prototyping - BlurFix - NEW PRODUCTS OUT NOW Nov 2013
Sports Camera Hire & Sales Australia
HydroRemote Cable Systems
Hobby Mounts UK
Outdoor Equipment Rentals
Hardened Power Systems
Cam-Do
Fotodiox Pro - NEW PRODUCTS OUT NOW Feb 2014
martcerv
Forum Mod

Postby old-digger » Fri Aug 24, 2012 10:18 am

Thanks martcerv that is what I thought but wanted extra input!!!
old-digger

Postby Grim Reaper » Fri Aug 24, 2012 5:08 pm

If any grease is required it would be only enough to make the O ring slippery, not enough that you'd be able to see any grease on it, as mentioned earlier, grease has the unwanted effect of attracting dirt and hairs, which are the biggest cause of leaks.
As an additional precaution, it is a good idea to store the case open (or with the back removed) so the seal is left uncompressed, this way it will do a better job when needed. Keep it in a ziplock bag (with a dessicant pack) to help stop getting dirt and hairs on it when not in use.
Grim Reaper

Postby Choppie » Fri Aug 24, 2012 6:02 pm

When I bought a normal Canon camera underwater housing I got silicone grease with the housing. I think if GoPro wanted you grease they o-ring they would have given a small tube of grease with the housing.
Choppie

Postby flareside » Fri Aug 24, 2012 9:23 pm

Choppie wrote:I think if GoPro wanted you grease the o-ring they would have given a small tube of grease with the housing.

...or would have at least offered to sell you a tube for $14.95.
flareside

Return to Old Forum Topics - Questions, Problems and Observations - HD1, HD2 & HD3