Welcome
Welcome to goprouser

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you full access to view most discussions and access.. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements if any. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today! Any issues email goprousergroup@gmail.com

Optical correction for fisheye

Anti-fog, Anti-Spot Caps, Filters, Polarizers, Macros, Lenses etc. NO Camera issues Please.

Optical correction for fisheye

Postby cbwim » Mon Apr 22, 2013 3:03 am

Has anyone experimented with additional lenses (leaving the GoPro lens intact!) that would remove or reduce some of the fisheye effect?
cbwim

Re: Optical correction for fisheye

Postby tjay » Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:12 am

plenty of software solutions, personally dont see a need for hardware correction
tjay

Postby kitarolivier » Thu Apr 25, 2013 5:55 pm

Mid may ProDad will release this tool : ProDrealin : http://www.prodad.com/home/products/act ... ,l-us.html

As beta tester, I think it will replace my Cineform for non 3D movie enhancement. I've asked them to add stereo 3D support, including different white balance, color correction for left/right picts.

Cheers,

Olivier.
kitarolivier

Postby cbwim » Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:36 am

Sounds like a nice product. Too bad its just Windows. I have both but the iMac is a much more current and powerful machine. However, the movie editing software that is available is a little too much for my needs (in terms of memory hogging, too many bells and whistles, etc.) Would be best if they incorporate a fisheye correction filter in the Cineform app.
cbwim

Postby martcerv » Fri May 10, 2013 12:38 am

I dont think its really worth using another lens for hardware correction, either replace the lens or use software are your 2 most obvious and likely best options. Adding an extra lens to re distort the fisheye distortion just doesn't seem like a great idea to me as your going to be sacrificing image quality when it could be done best with just a replacement lens or likely get similar if not better results using software correction. I could be wrong and as with most things if you find a filter to try you could end up with surprisingly good results but I think that's unlikely.
Forum Moderator

Support our Sponsors - Click the Links
Surya Prihadi - Advanced GoPro Tester
Snake River Prototyping - BlurFix - NEW PRODUCTS OUT NOW Nov 2013
Sports Camera Hire & Sales Australia
HydroRemote Cable Systems
Hobby Mounts UK
Outdoor Equipment Rentals
Hardened Power Systems
Cam-Do
Fotodiox Pro - NEW PRODUCTS OUT NOW Feb 2014
martcerv
Forum Mod

Postby cbwim » Wed May 22, 2013 3:28 am

Tried running the Prodrenaline demo on the Mac using both Parallels and Crossover. No go.

I'll probably resort to FCP with an appropriate filter eventually. In the meantime I can correct jpgs with Photoshop Effects 7.
cbwim

Postby martcerv » Sat May 25, 2013 9:55 pm

Software wise Magic bullet Looks does a pretty good job at fisheye correction and is easy to make adjustments to suit any mode, you could easily make a preset if you wanted to shooting some sort of grid for any FOV modes you shoot in then just apply these to any footage later on.
Forum Moderator

Support our Sponsors - Click the Links
Surya Prihadi - Advanced GoPro Tester
Snake River Prototyping - BlurFix - NEW PRODUCTS OUT NOW Nov 2013
Sports Camera Hire & Sales Australia
HydroRemote Cable Systems
Hobby Mounts UK
Outdoor Equipment Rentals
Hardened Power Systems
Cam-Do
Fotodiox Pro - NEW PRODUCTS OUT NOW Feb 2014
martcerv
Forum Mod

Postby cbwim » Tue May 28, 2013 8:49 am

At $799 Magic Bullet isn't cheap - FCP with a de-fisheye plugin is considerably cheaper. Do you know if they have a standalone element that does just this optical correction? I'll try their trial version.

I am trying Adobe After Effects. The trial version runs on my 10.6 iMac but only exports in Flash Video. However, one can subscribe it via the Adobe Creative Cloud for $29.99 for a month's commitment - which works for my budget as far as trying this thing out.

One thing - it runs (that is, exports) rather slowly on my iMac (Intel Duo Core at 3.06 gigHz and 8 gb memory). But it works. I'd get PCP except I am saving my money for a GoPro Black.

It would be great if GoPro simply included a debarrelizer or defisheyer in their free Cineform app. Most of us do not need much more for movie editing and adjustment beyond that, iMovie and Quicktime!
cbwim

Postby cbwim » Wed May 29, 2013 12:47 am

Ugh! Adobe's software seems way more complex than it needs to be. I've used PageMaker 6.5 for Windows for years - and it even runs on my iMac under two different Windows emulators (Parallels and Crossover). I can barely make heads or tails with its latest InDesign incarnation. My wife who works as a book indexer occasionally has to use the latter and it requires much practice to keep her skills up to speed.

So I am trying out After Effects. The way to export a video seems unnecessarily complex and certainly non-intuitive (though I imagine its based on movie industry standards and terminology). So you save the file name and then have to click "render" after all the processing is done and amazingly it can take a simple GoPro-generated video of say some 500K size and turn it into a movie that is some 38GB size - unless you know how to prevent it from doing so somewhere in the process. And once you figure that out there is no way to create a macro or something to automate this. So I'll get some practice and it might become old hat. What I tried with Final Cut Pro seems more intuitive but not much more so. Again it would be great if there was a simple tool that could undistort GoPro videos - as part of the Cineform application.

I might also get back to the optical idea. I know a lens expert who makes aspheric lenses for industry whose workshop is not far from here. He may actually be interested in the concept of a simple correcting lens that could simply clip onto the GoPro.
cbwim

Postby neavesj » Mon Oct 28, 2013 2:29 am

If you can correct fisheye with an optical solution (without removing and replacing the original gopro lens) you could use the hardware to film with optical zoom lenses... has anyone considered this or is it just me?

I am currently looking for solutions but there appears to be nada available. Now reading up on lens applications and effects of light to see if I can answer my own question however if anyone has heard of anything or knows about these things already I would really appreciate them coming forward with that information.
neavesj

Next

Return to GoPro Clear Vision