Welcome
Welcome to goprouser

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you full access to view most discussions and access.. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements if any. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today! Any issues email goprousergroup@gmail.com

Polarizer cuts off corners

Discuss the GoPro Hero3 White & Silver + BacPacs, General, Issues and Trouble Shooting

Polarizer cuts off corners

Postby lakeman » Fri Apr 17, 2015 8:43 pm

Have just tried out an attachment for the case which takes 58mm polarizer (circular adjustable). Have discovered that this cuts off the four corners.
Can any-one recommend a solution or a better filter. I like the look of a DIY in-case gel but this isn't adjustable. Am wanting the filter for ski-ing to bring out the snow contrast.
lakeman

Re: Polarizer cuts off corners

Postby Ifti » Fri Apr 17, 2015 9:27 pm

Which filters did you use??
I have had success with both PolarPro and BluFix:

With a naked GoPro (in a Frame housing etc), the Blurfix Air range are great!

Ifti

Postby lakeman » Sat Apr 18, 2015 1:23 am

Thanks for the links, I have an attachment to fit over the plastic case which takes screw 58mm circ uv filter, the problem is that the corners are cut off, I can't see how this other adapter would solve the problem (unless I'm missing something obvious).
I'm thinking now about fitting a gel otl. inside the casing. This wouldn't be adjustable but should improve the glare/snow problem ?
lakeman

Postby Hobby Mounts » Sat Apr 18, 2015 2:37 am

You have a couple of options if you're looking for a filter that doesn't cause vignetting (the effect you are experiencing).

If you are using your GoPro without a housing, the SRP BlurFix Air range of filters are perfect and used by multi-rotor users like the Phantom 2.

Circular Polariser

Clear UV

They are also available in ND4, ND8, ND4/CP and ND8/CP

http://www.hobbymounts.co.uk/shop/GoPro-Filters/SRP-BlurFix-Air-Filters

Or, if you want to use the filter on the GoPro housing, SRP also have the same range available...

http://www.hobbymounts.co.uk/shop/GoPro-Filters/BlurFix-Filters-Adapters
The UK's largest selection of GoPro Cameras, Accessories & Mounts. We are also Official DJI Innovations dealers.
http://www.hobbymounts.co.uk
Hobby Mounts
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Postby lakeman » Sat Apr 18, 2015 5:15 am

I'm afraid that's the problem, for ski-ing I need to use the casing, that being so the holder is further away from the lens and, consequently, so is the polariser, which causes the vignetting of course.
The more I think about it the only route seems to be a gel inside the water-proof casing.
lakeman

Postby flareside » Sat Apr 18, 2015 7:12 am

Which video mode are you using and have you tried a low profile filter. I have a 58mm low profile Zykkor which while it noticeably cuts the corners on the full 12mp image, has no affect on 1080p video mode.
flareside

Postby lakeman » Sat Apr 18, 2015 9:16 am

That's interesting, what do you think about the "gel" though, seems neater to me ?
lakeman

Postby flareside » Sun Apr 19, 2015 2:24 am

Broken clocks are right twice a day. If you understand polarizers then you know the same concept pretty much applies to non-adjustable polarizers. When the mesh is properly aligned and is 90 degrees to the sun it will do you some good. And to be more specific with wide angle lenses, it will do you some good in that small portion of the image that the required conditions apply, the portion of the image that is 90 degrees to the sun. Adjustable polarizers are better than non-adjustable ones because they allow you to set the filter properly for that small portion of the image that you want to be correct and you can keep that small portion of the image correct by continually adjusting the filter as you move the camera about. While this sounds like a lot of work for negligible gains, there is really no need to be focused on your skiing as that tree in front of you knows you are distracted and will do its best to move out of your way.

Do a little research on using polarizers on wide angle lenses. And then order an ND filter instead.
flareside

Postby lakeman » Mon Apr 20, 2015 1:22 am

Many thanks for most informative reply All I'm really wanting to achieve is more shadows in the snow tracks, at the moment they are a bit washed out. Are you saying I can get this effect with an ND, I realise this won't happen at high noon, but I thought a polarizer would sort it. What about a gel inside the case, obviously not an adjustable filter but would it be more effective than nothing. I hadn't really thought about other filters at all up to now.
Could I reduce the vignet by using 960 res and keep the adj polarizer, which I have from my stills gear.
lakeman

Return to GoPro Hero3 White & Silver Editions