Welcome
Welcome to goprouser

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you full access to view most discussions and access.. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements if any. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today! Any issues email goprousergroup@gmail.com

*Reliable* External HD for Mac

Mac related Editing Software but NOT GoPro Studio

*Reliable* External HD for Mac

Postby calluma11 » Fri Aug 01, 2014 7:00 am

Hi all,
I'm looking out for an external hard drive for my MBPr and i've seen a couple that are supplied in local shops (Currys & PC World) - meaning I could get them this weekend :)

Seagate 2TB & WD MY Passport 1TB
They're around my budget (~£60) - however, i've read a few reviews questioning the reliability and I'm wondering if anyone has had any use with these?

I'd like them this weekend but if it means waiting a few days for a considerably better one, thats fine.

Thanks
Callum
calluma11

Re: *Reliable* External HD for Mac

Postby toenee » Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:07 am

Using 2 Lacie external drives and 3 western digital internals, the only problem I've ever had. Was the power supply on one of the Lacie's, which was replaced under warranty.
toenee

Postby calluma11 » Fri Aug 01, 2014 9:04 pm

Good to know, thankyou :)
calluma11

Postby evil_betty » Sun Aug 03, 2014 10:27 am

I would pick up a couple drives of the same size and use one as a backup. 1TB drives are fairly cheap and would give you better peace of mind. The other option is to use the cloud as a backup or second backup. Upload speed can be the issue if you have a lot of video, but you could configure it to run when you are sleeping or such.
evil_betty

Postby calluma11 » Mon Aug 04, 2014 7:18 pm

I noticed that you cant use a HD on Final Cut Pro X and also for Apple Time Machine. So i was thinking about getting a cheap one solely for time machine
Thanks
calluma11

Postby Ifti » Mon Aug 04, 2014 8:12 pm

calluma11 wrote:I noticed that you cant use a HD on Final Cut Pro X and also for Apple Time Machine. So i was thinking about getting a cheap one solely for time machine
Thanks

Why not?
Time machine creates some sparse bundle files - that doesnt mean the drive cant be used for anything else, including Final Cut, which creates its own library files.
I wouldnt use both simultaneously (just pause TM backups while you use FCPX) but that doesnt mean you cant use the same drive for both.

Its nicer to have separate drives since both can use a lot of capacity - I use my 2TB Time Capsule for Time Machine Backups, and a seperate 20TB drive for Final Cut Pro X - and even though time machine backups are on my Time Capsule drive, I still use the Time Capsule drive as a general NAS, with other files on as well......

When it comes to drives, each manufacturer is as good as the other these days. Brand doesnt really mean much any more - you could buy a Lacie unit, which has a Seagate HDD inside it, for example. Just choose a capacity and go for whichever drive is cheaper at the time. Dont judge a drive by what you read on forums - people come on forums for help with issues - the millions who are happy with drives lay low in the background......

I have the following drives - all are very reliable and I've had no issues [touch wood!]:

- 2TB Time Capsule for backups
- Lacie 20TB ThunderBolt 2 drive for Final Cut Pro X
- 2TB WD My Passport for temp raw video storage
- 2TB WD My Passport as ageneral storage drive that stays in my bag

In addition, Ive had many Buffalo MiniStation ThunderBolt, and WD My Book and My Passport drives over teh years, and they have all been reliable.
Ifti

Postby toenee » Tue Dec 16, 2014 4:12 am

Another option would be to partition the drive, making it effectively two disc's using Disk Utility.
toenee

Return to Mac