Welcome
Welcome to goprouser

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you full access to view most discussions and access.. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements if any. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today! Any issues email goprousergroup@gmail.com

iMac 5k

Mac related Editing Software but NOT GoPro Studio

iMac 5k

Postby DCIV » Sat Nov 29, 2014 3:39 am

Anyone use this? Might be overkill and all but curious if anyone uses it and how it does with converting and editing?
DCIV

Re: iMac 5k

Postby suryaprihadi » Sat Nov 29, 2014 8:49 am

The processor is not that powerful. Decent yes. Its CPU Intel Core i5-4690 Processor spec is lower than the i7 3770K or even i7 2600K.
https://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/iMac+In ... down/30260

I personally won't buy something that integrated as it is not a flexible system for future upgrade.
The cooling system is another turn off. IPS screen itself is hot and the CPU iMac 5K uses is 84 watts .
Power supply within the same body.......damn, that is extra heat.

You are talking of 4K video right ?
With the slow CPU it uses rendering will take a long time and the heat generated will be a lot and the CPU sucks it hot air from within the
slim casing, where the air is heated up by IPS screen + power supply.

My Dell 27"is IPS and its hot, compared to TN panel.

Cool is important for rendering stability and device longevity.
That is my advice, be it Mac or PC based its not the issue...simply technical points I am speaking of.

I am a Forum Sponsor not because I sell stuff.
I owe my knowledge to this forum and I would like to do some payback.
suryaprihadi
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Postby stevepud » Sat Nov 29, 2014 9:27 am

my crappy old 2008 Dual core iMac used to get hot as hell.

my 2012 27inch i7 3.4, 32gb ram, 2GB graphics never breaks a sweat, even when processing a 3 screen 1080 vid in Final Cut Pro. It ran a bit slow but never got warm.

DCIV, Surya might have a point, but there are plenty of people using iMacs. I work in the (apparently) 3rd largest communications agency in the world and I'm seeing shit loads of iMacs in use. Sure there are other Macs there too, but they are using iMacs too.

If you're not in a tropical country I doubt heat will be that much of an issue.
Upgradability is - they aren't as easy to upgrade. Not impossible - there are plenty of YouTube vids showing how to upgrade stuff in them.

For me, mine is total overkill of rmy Video Processing and any other need, but screw it. Why not.

I say get one and let us know what it's like. Just up spec it, and don't by RAM from Apple, Go to Crucial.com instead and save some cash.
Only thing I sish I'd changed on mine is the hard drive. I only went for a 1TB fusion cos I thought I'd be OK - I'm needing more space now, and thats with using a 3TB external drive.

GoPro vids are storage hogs!
stevepud

Postby DCIV » Sun Nov 30, 2014 5:41 am

I think I'm gonna try one. That screen is just too cool.
DCIV

Postby DCIV » Sun Nov 30, 2014 9:16 am

4.0GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7, Turbo Boost up to 4.4GHz
8GB 1600MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 2x4GB
256GB Flash Storage
AMD Radeon R9 M295X 4GB GDDR5

That's upgraded processor, video ram, and flash instead of fusion. Is that what you all would recommend?
DCIV

Postby stevepud » Sun Nov 30, 2014 11:37 am

as long as you have plenty of USB3 external storage, cos 250GB flash won't last long.

as mentioned I wish I'd got a bigger internal drive cos it's a pig to try to upgrade later. Though a 4 or even 5TB USB3 drives are now only around £140 and £190 each.
i think that'll fly.... :)
stevepud

Postby suryaprihadi » Sun Nov 30, 2014 6:45 pm

I agree, the screen spec makes me horny too :lol:

Storage for video must be PLENTY, agree.
The OS itself and all programs will be at 100GB , I think. Maybe more if Adobe Premiere. So flash drive 250GB is too small later on.
Must keep spare for download and what extra space working programs need.
I think "trash" goes to this drive too,

My C:drive for OS and Programs only is 250GB SSD. Occupied 90GB if I keep trash empty. All my programs of video nature, I do not allow it to dump output to C:My Video but I have seperate 500GB SSD for SOURCE video and 250GB SSD for OUTPUT video.
2 TB for normal work, non video. HDD
2 TB + 1.5TB for final video work HDD....including movies download.... he he he
I am a Forum Sponsor not because I sell stuff.
I owe my knowledge to this forum and I would like to do some payback.
suryaprihadi
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Postby DCIV » Fri Dec 19, 2014 2:41 am

Well, I picked up my iMac 5k the other day. Went with upgraded i7, upgraded video ram, ssd, and stock ram (as I can upgrade that myself)

What can I get to edit to do:
Split screen (one video on top of another)
Zoom/crop
Stabilize, hopefully by above method

I would really like a free option but if it's time to just pay for what I need then guess I will.

So far I LOVE this screen and computer.
DCIV

Return to Mac