Welcome
Welcome to goprouser

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you full access to view most discussions and access.. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements if any. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today! Any issues email goprousergroup@gmail.com

Colour correcting question

Mac related Editing Software but NOT GoPro Studio

Colour correcting question

Postby Captain Deco » Fri Mar 06, 2015 10:18 am

It's late and I have been up since far too early....that's the excuse for what may seem to be a dumb question....

I shoot mainly underwater footage with my collection of go pros and just today decided after two years to go from iMovie to final cut pro X.....I read up as much as I could before doing it and played with some other options and this seems to be the way to go for me. Annnnnywwway.....I now have a whole ultra detailed raft of options open to me to colour correct and enhance the footage from dives (which can tend to be a little washed out despite mega lighting etc). When I play around with the footage to colour correct is it better to have the brightness et on the laptop display set to as high as possible? I normally have my screen set to half brightness and can see it perfectly fine but as I am starting to tinker with colouring etc I am pretty sure I will get the best results with the screen set to max brightness so it looks it's best. As stated.....it's late and i'm up early again tomorrow so I havent played with the software yet.....I'll be doing that when I am fully awake and can concentrate.

Cheers for advice. :D
Captain Deco

Re: Colour correcting question

Postby tallpaul » Sat Mar 07, 2015 1:46 am

If you are serious about colour correcting, a colourimeter is a worthwhile investment.

I've used a ColorMunki for years (mainly for photography online and printing). It ensures that your screen conforms to a standard.
You first set up the brightness, I use 90 (forget what the unit of measurement is) on my Macbook Pro, which is under 50% brightness. I've found that this worked best for printing.
Output is OK on a/another computer, colour and brightness wise.

However, if I'd outputting to a TV (set up using information on AVforums) the video comes out WAY too saturated.

What I guess I'm trying to say is that you will have to take into account both the setup of your monitor and the output format when you are editing.
tallpaul

Return to Mac