Welcome
Welcome to goprouser

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you full access to view most discussions and access.. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements if any. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today! Any issues email [email protected]

FUNGUS on GoPro Lens?

Protection for your GoPro & Accessories. NO Camera issues Please.

FUNGUS on GoPro Lens?

Postby zoarquenix » Sun Sep 06, 2015 2:12 pm

I was reading the other post about how users store their GoPro stuff and suddenly thought of something.

"FUNGUS"

As far as i know, most photographers, I think, have that special "DRY BOX" thing to store their lenses to prevent fungus grow on their lenses, to keep their lense safe.

Until now, I never seen or read any article or post about putting our precious GoPro to watertight cases, dry-box-alike case, or any silica gels on their case to stabilize the temperature from humidity, to prevent those fungus grow on the lens.
Mostly, user use cases which stuffed with hard foams to protect their GoPro camera. Oh yah, and nothing about fungus growth on GoPro lens also.

I am no DLSR user, and i know nothing when it comes to stuff like this. All i own is a GoPro, and I love it so much.
Any experienced user please enlighten me on this! :lol:
- Can GOPRO LENSES also GROW FUNGUS if proper care isn't provided? Considering GoPro can't change lense like the SLR, and if it really grow fungus, then we need to replace the whole lens (MAN!)
- Do you guys (especially professionals) also store your GoPro camera on the drybox like the SLR lenses?
- Is it really need to put 'em on dry box or put any silica gel on our cases? I personally dont use a watertight cases, just duct-taping the lid, and put a pack of silica gel inside of it. But until now, i still don't know if it's really necessary and works or not.
zoarquenix

Re: FUNGUS on GoPro Lens?

Postby sidd finch » Mon Sep 07, 2015 5:17 am

I think you might be worrying about something that has a pretty small chance of occurring. When the camera is in the case and turned on it generates quite a bit of heat. I would suspect that this heat would be enough to mitigate any fungus issues. If you take the camera in water make sure that you wash off the case (not the camera) with a mild soapy solution and thoroughly dry the case.

Sidd
sidd finch

Postby zoarquenix » Mon Sep 07, 2015 12:23 pm

sidd finch wrote:I think you might be worrying about something that has a pretty small chance of occurring. When the camera is in the case and turned on it generates quite a bit of heat. I would suspect that this heat would be enough to mitigate any fungus issues. If you take the camera in water make sure that you wash off the case (not the camera) with a mild soapy solution and thoroughly dry the case.

Sidd

Hahaha. In fact, I'm really curious, and if it can, I'd like to do my best to prevent it happened to my precious GoPro #gollumsounds :lol:
So, no need for any drybox or even silica gels when storing the camera?
zoarquenix

Postby sidd finch » Tue Sep 08, 2015 1:06 am

I would suspect that by using the camera a lot you should be in good shape. Fungus grows on lenses and cameras stored for extended periods in dark, humid conditions with no air circulation. Avoiding those conditions are key. If you store the camera in the waterproof case adding a GoPro fog insert while it is stored will help it absorb any moisture. But it seems to run counter-culture to have a GoPro in long term storage....lol :)

Sidd
sidd finch

Postby zoarquenix » Tue Sep 08, 2015 2:30 pm

sidd finch wrote:I would suspect that by using the camera a lot you should be in good shape. Fungus grows on lenses and cameras stored for extended periods in dark, humid conditions with no air circulation. Avoiding those conditions are key. If you store the camera in the waterproof case adding a GoPro fog insert while it is stored will help it absorb any moisture. But it seems to run counter-culture to have a GoPro in long term storage....lol :)

Sidd

Ahahahaha, right!
Thank you so much for your insight Sidd! :D
zoarquenix

Return to GoPro Storage