Welcome
Welcome to goprouser

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you full access to view most discussions and access.. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements if any. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today! Any issues email goprousergroup@gmail.com

Lens/Filters for GoPro Naked - 37mm, 52mm, 58mm?

Anti-fog, Anti-Spot Caps, Filters, Polarizers, Macros, Lenses etc. NO Camera issues Please.

Lens/Filters for GoPro Naked - 37mm, 52mm, 58mm?

Postby bombero » Fri Sep 11, 2015 9:34 am

Hi, I can't find a definitive answer on my question of filter size for the GoPro Naked. I'm looking at getting a UV, ND and CPL lens to fit the GoPro Naked and it appears that there are 3 common sizes to choose from - 37mm, 52mm and 58mm.

I'd prefer the 37mm as it's small and neat, but I'm wondering if the camera video and still shots pick up on the filter lens in the corners of its recordings (vignetting)? Even some, but not all sellers mention this in the blurb when describing their product. Has anyone have any experience of this? Am I better going for the 52mm size?
bombero

Re: Lens/Filters for GoPro Naked - 37mm, 52mm, 58mm?

Postby sidd finch » Sat Sep 12, 2015 9:44 am

For the 37mm filter you will need to keep the camera in narrow mode only to work. The 52mm will work in narrow and medium. The 58 will work in wide. So depending on what you want to shoot and your budget. Fotodiox has some really good video tutorials and the are frequently here posting on the site. Sean from fotodiox is your friend.

Sidd
sidd finch

Postby suryaprihadi » Sat Sep 12, 2015 6:11 pm

The bigger the filter, the more money it will cost.
However Sidd is correct, use a bigger one to cover all POV, so you do not need to buy 2 sizes.

58mm is still a cheap size, once you go 77mm ...that is steep rise.

I use usually 58mm and I have step rings so that I can use bigger than 58mm filters which I own for my "normal" cameras.
Step up/down rings are easily sourced.

Have fun....
I am a Forum Sponsor not because I sell stuff.
I owe my knowledge to this forum and I would like to do some payback.
suryaprihadi
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Postby bombero » Sun Sep 13, 2015 2:44 am

Thanks guys! ;) I was hoping that 52mm would cope with Wide as well but it would appear not .. :( I'm sure I can live with 58mm on a GoPro! :lol: Thanks again!
bombero

Postby sidd finch » Sun Sep 13, 2015 3:57 am

For any kind of filter it is all about the quality of the glass. The better the glass the more expensive the filter. There are also some companies that make lens replacements for the waterproof case (pic below) but I am not too familiar with the quality or the brands. The easiest and most common filter is the round type filters. But be aware that the glass of the filter really adds a lot of weight to the front of the camera. You did not say what type of application you were interested in but the filter attachment does make the camera a bit bulky.

Sidd
sidd finch

Postby bombero » Sun Sep 13, 2015 4:16 am

sidd finch wrote:You did not say what type of application you were interested in but the filter attachment does make the camera a bit bulky.

In the majority of applications, I'll have my camera mounted to a handheld gimbal to shoot sportscars, both static and in motion. Unfortunately, the gimbal (Zhiyun Z1-Rider2) requires the camera to be mounted naked. Occasionally, I'll mount it on cars on the gimbal but will also fix mount via a standard GoPro housing.

There's a new gimbal, planned for release 1st of 2016 by Removu is apparently going to have a bespoke housing but whether or not that allow for the attachment of filters remains to be seen.
bombero

Postby sidd finch » Sun Sep 13, 2015 7:52 am

Research the gimbal to see what kind of additional weight they can handle. Most gimbals do not work with additional lens weight. You would need a beefier gimbal to accommodate the weight.

Sidd
sidd finch

Postby bombero » Sun Sep 13, 2015 8:00 am

Thanks Sidd, good advice which did do when researching before opting for the Rider2. You're right, some bug out against relatively low resistance - I was checking against wind speeds where gimbals are attached to cars. One can't expect super high performance from a handheld gimbal compared to the more robust pro set-ups! My one is steady up to about 50-60mph which is very impressive .. some (more expensive) ones can bug out at a paltry 15-20mph! :roll:
bombero

Postby sidd finch » Sun Sep 13, 2015 8:09 am

Cool, I hope you post some video once you get it all going. Cheers

Sidd
sidd finch

Postby Hobby Mounts » Mon Sep 14, 2015 11:15 pm

Take a look at the SRP range if you want a Naked high quality, small, lightweight filter with no vignetting. We stock them in the UK with free delivery or can ship worldwide if needed...

http://www.hobbymounts.co.uk/shop/GoPro-Hero-Accessories/GoPro-Filters
The UK's largest selection of GoPro Cameras, Accessories & Mounts. We are also Official DJI Innovations dealers.
http://www.hobbymounts.co.uk
Hobby Mounts
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Return to GoPro Clear Vision