Welcome
Welcome to goprouser

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you full access to view most discussions and access.. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements if any. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today! Any issues email [email protected]

Battery Comparison of USED BATTERIES

Reliably Power your GoPro, USB, Dummy Battery, etc

Battery Comparison of USED BATTERIES

Postby Fred Keller » Fri Mar 11, 2016 2:35 am

Hi Guys,

I thought I post a comparison to you, which I just made to check battery life of my old batteries.
I have a H4BE and own 1 original Gopro battery, 2 Smatree batteries and one Wicked Chili battery.

All batteries were purchased in Dec 2014 / January 2015. I have in addition the battery BacBac 2.0 (ABPAK-301 - this is the old one, not the new version).

The reason for the comparison was me travelling to Italy recently for a snowboard trip and figuring out that the batteries in the H4BE drained extremely fast on the slopes making me miss to record some great moments.

I use the Gopro occasionally, every couple of weeks. I don't take care about battery maintenance. E.g. it could well be that a battery is not charged for weeks / months.

For testing the battery power I used 1080p 60FPS with Protune and WiFi on, connected to the Smart Remote. The H4BE houses a 64GB Lexar memory card.
I have just recorded video (no looping video). All batteries were fully charged when put into the H4BE and had multiple charge and empty runs before starting the test.

Here are the results:

Gopro Original 01:06h
Gorpo Original with Bacpac 01:53h
Smatree Battery 1 00:35h
Smatree Battery 2 00:34h
Smatree Battery 1 with BP 01:12h
Wicked Chili Battery 00:33h

Recording with the Gopro battery was stopped due to overheating after 45 min. I gave the H4BE some time to cool down (5 min) and started to record again.
I had no overheating warnings or turning offs with Smatree or Wicked Chili. This is presumably because the overheating circuits are part of the battery and neither Wicked Chili nor Smatree have overheating protection implemented in their batteries.

As you can see from the above comparison all third party batteries dramatically lost power over the course of a year (they were all on the same level as the Gopro battery when purchasing them). Assuming that I treated all batteries the same way over the year it is a surprise to see that the Gopro battery is still close to what they estimate as recording time on their webpage (1:15h where it is not stated if Protune is activated or not).

My conclusion is that it is surely cheaper to buy 3rd party batteries but it is not a real saving if they are not anymore usable after one year.

Have you made similar experiences with 3rd party batteries?

Cheers

FRED
Fred Keller

Re: Battery Comparison of USED BATTERIES

Postby suryaprihadi » Fri Mar 11, 2016 7:33 pm

Money don't lie if it is a branded battery. GP original battery uses Panasonic cell for H4, that is a premium battery.
3rd party battery won't use top brand cells, because they sell cheaper.
Battery life vs cycle is what kill battery. Good battery will maintain decent rating until approx 500+ cycles of discharge and recharge.
Lower quality battery will slope down faster....money talk.

I had no overheating warnings or turning offs with Smatree or Wicked Chili. This is presumably because the overheating circuits are part of the battery and neither Wicked Chili nor Smatree have overheating protection implemented in their batteries.
TRUE.

See below
hero-4-lasted-exactly-one-month-after-warranty-t22975.html?hilit=thermal#p121669
To sell cheaper, one has to surrender/remove certain features, business logic. No free lunch for us the consumers.

Your GP original battery test is OK, the endurance is about right.
Please keep camera cool or it will live shorter. Black4 is a VERY HOT camera due to its high performance.

SP
I am a Forum Sponsor not because I sell stuff.
I owe my knowledge to this forum and I would like to do some payback.
suryaprihadi
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Return to GoPro External Power Solutions