Welcome
Welcome to goprouser

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you full access to view most discussions and access.. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements if any. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today! Any issues email goprousergroup@gmail.com

Suggested settings for rapidly changing light conditions?

Discuss the GoPro Hero4 Silver Here

Suggested settings for rapidly changing light conditions?

Postby localstarlight » Sun Jul 10, 2016 12:27 am

Hi,

I'm using a GoPro (Hero4 Silver) for a commercial project coming up, but don't have much experience shooting with them, so looking for some tips.

My subject will be wearing the camera, chest-mounted, going down a tube slide that has sections in complete darkness and sections where the light comes in. The slide is pretty fast, so the sections of light don't last that long (~5-6 seconds or so).

I was able to conduct a test a few days ago, and the GoPro did pretty well, but was pretty slow at adjusting the exposure once it came out of the dark section of tunnel into the light, such that it was only just finding a good exposure by the time the light section ended.

I'm used to using cameras with full manual settings, and in a situation like this I would just expose for the light section and leave it at that (I don't need footage in the dark parts of the slide). Seems like you can't totally lock the exposure on a GoPro, so I'm wondering if anyone with lots of experience with GoPro filming has any suggestions for something like this.

I discovered the existence of Protune after I shot the test, but it seems like using an ISO limit and maybe some EV compensation might help out, but playing around in my house going from light to dark, there is still quite a delay as it finds exposure when using an ISO limit of 400.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks!
localstarlight

Return to GoPro Hero4 Silver