Welcome
Welcome to goprouser

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you full access to view most discussions and access.. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements if any. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today! Any issues email [email protected]

Suggested settings for filming Soccer?

Discuss the GoPro Hero4 Silver Here

Suggested settings for filming Soccer?

Postby Jonesy38 » Tue Oct 04, 2016 12:27 pm

I am a rookie gopro user that is looking for help from a more seasoned user on optimal gopro settings to record a soccer game.
My intention is to use the camera from a height of around 15ft where it will be connected into the end of an extendable pole. The position (angle) of the camera will remain the same and the pole will get slightly rotated as needed to follow the game.
Jonesy38

Re: Suggested settings for filming Soccer?

Postby sidd finch » Wed Oct 05, 2016 6:05 am

I have recorded a lot of soccer using the same method. In the end the best method was using 2 cameras positioned on either end of the sideline. Kind of in the proximity of where they do corner kicks but far enough out of the way so that the poles do not interfere with the game.

I have tried positioning the camera from the middle of the field and turning it towards either direction but this method looks too choppy. Plus when you rotate the pole you might not keep the same angle you want to keep.

For best results when I only had one camera was to place the one camera at the end of the field by the corner kick area that I mentioned earlier. I put the camera on the side that my team was kicking goals towards. Then moved the camera to the other end of the field for the second half when they switched sides. You will need to mess around with the angle so that you frame the shot correctly. In addition I also used an external USB battery so that the camera would stay powered for the entire game. I just duct taped the battery to the pole. I used a Duracell Portable Power Battery, 2600 mAh that you can get for approx $15 USD. They are small enough and provide enough power for the game.

Depending on the pole you are using you can find a GoPro connector for the pole. Just google GoPro Acme mount. It is a standard thread size.

Sidd
sidd finch

Re: Suggested settings for filming Soccer?

Postby sidd finch » Thu Oct 06, 2016 2:01 am

For Camera settings, I would go with 1080P wide at 60fps. The trick to get the action will be the height. Because the field is so big the lower the camera the harder it will be to capture the action.

Sidd
sidd finch

Return to GoPro Hero4 Silver