Welcome
Welcome to goprouser

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you full access to view most discussions and access.. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements if any. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today! Any issues email [email protected]

Quik software issues on android and ipad, editors take note

Quik software issues on android and ipad, editors take note

Postby pixelpaulart » Wed Nov 02, 2016 9:06 am

Quik editing software on android and IOS is the best automatic video editing software I've come across. It is perfect for people who love to shoot but hate to edit, like me. It is surprisingly fast and really does a good job in picking out the best of your footage. However, there are some issues with it that I've discovered after extensive use.

1) IOS memory management is abysmal. Recently I created a 3 minute 1080p video with Quik and Hero5 footage on my ipad. However, even after deleting the project from within Quik and deleting the video from Photos, I was showing 3 Gb less than what I had when I started. It was only after I uninstalled Quik that the 3 Gb of space returned to my ipad. The app apparently does not release memory properly on IOS.

2) Footage from older Hero cameras, such as my Hero2, shoot in .mov format. Android does not natively support .mov format footage. Quik on android will not recognize that footage. You will need to use Quik on ipad to use .mov footage.

3) If you use the gopro Capture app to download footage wirelessly from your Hero5 camera, be aware that it puts that footage into internal memory on your android device. There is no setting in the Capture app to download the footage onto your SD card, a huge shortcoming for me since I'm short on internal memory on my Samsung smartphone.

4) If you use Quik to create a video and then save the video, Quik will save the video to internal memory as you would expect. However, on android, if you delete the video project from within Quik, it will also delete the saved video. IOS will not do that, deleting the Quik project will not delete the saved video.
pixelpaulart

Re: Quik software issues on android and ipad, editors take n

Postby suryaprihadi » Wed Nov 02, 2016 8:43 pm

iOS is always an azz, they want your money and you need to buy their super big memory model. :mrgreen:

GoPro Hero1 to today Hero5 uses MP4 not MOV.
MOV is part of MP4 , maybe you use Quicktime and it read as MOV or something.

I dont have the device yet, but I think that card reader GoPro is making will also introduce new version of App, where you are editing on memory card.. that should help a lot especially those using iOS.

I am a Forum Sponsor not because I sell stuff.
I owe my knowledge to this forum and I would like to do some payback.
suryaprihadi
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Postby pixelpaulart » Wed Nov 02, 2016 10:49 pm

When I look at all my Hero2 footage in iMovie and Final Cut Pro on my macbook, they are all .mov format. Maybe apple converts the mp4's to mov during the import of the footage?
pixelpaulart

Postby suryaprihadi » Thu Nov 03, 2016 12:15 am

In a PC Quicktime, using movie inspector it would show H.264, which is the other name of MPEG-4.
I am clueless on how apple does things.
Install VLC for iOS, its way more superior than Quicktime and use its VLC codec info
suryaprihadi
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Postby suryaprihadi » Thu Nov 03, 2016 7:09 am

Rambo wrote:Yes on import, imovie converts everything to mov.

I see Chief. Me dont like to use Apple stuff, but me buy them for me kids :mrgreen: and me use the iPad-s for droning and GP Wifi/Capture App, aside from all time favorite = ANDROIDs.
suryaprihadi
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Return to GoPro Quik Editing Software