Welcome
Welcome to goprouser

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you full access to view most discussions and access.. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements if any. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today! Any issues email [email protected]

GoPro Hero 3 Silver freezing problem

Discuss the GoPro Hero3 White & Silver + BacPacs, General, Issues and Trouble Shooting

GoPro Hero 3 Silver freezing problem

Postby astro11 » Mon Apr 28, 2014 10:46 pm

Hi guys,

I’ve bought this GoPro Hero 3 Silver edition last year - and to be honest, I almost never used it.

Recently I’ve been seeing a great need to use it, and I’ve been facing the freezing problem numerous times - I can’t even use the camera, to be honest. Now let me explain the problem and my solutions so far:

PROBLEM: The thing is, whenever I turn on my camera, it’s only a matter of luck if it will work for 10 minutes or 5 seconds. I’ve never seen it working for more than 15 minutes - never. It juste freezes, making me remove and insert the battery again to get it working. Ah, and if I just reinsert, it will not work, I actually have to wait a few minutes, like 20 to 30 minutes, to get it working - this is the most bizarre bug I’ve ever seen.

SOLUTIONS: I’m using a SanDisk Ultra 64GB Class 10 that is recommended by GoPro, but I’ve also tried changing the SD cards and even WITHOUT a SD card it will freeze, so let’s just rule out the problem with SD cards, ok? Thanks.
Then, of course, I tried to update the firmware manually. After numerous attempts (do you think it’s an easy task to update a camera which will freeze randomly?), I did it - I updated the firmware… and then, freezes again.
Last shot: it should be the battery, right? So I’ve bought two other generic batteries only to found out that the problem continues. But you are going to recommend me an original battery from GoPro, right? Good, so I just went to my friend’s home and got his battery from his GoPro (which actually works) and there you go, freezing problem again.

So, I’m lost. I don’t have a clue of what I should do to make this camera works. This camera was not cheap, my friends. I want it working, and I don’t know what else to do. I’ve searched googled so hard but with no real solution. I beg your help, I only want my camera working - there HAS to be a fix.

Thank you.
astro11

Re: GoPro Hero 3 Silver freezing problem

Postby dimi__ » Mon Jun 23, 2014 6:11 am

I have the same problem with my gopro hero 3+ Black edition.
only mine doesn't even work for a couple of minutes, when i turn him on he freezes instantly.

I contacted the gopro customer support and i'm waiting for an answer.
dimi__

Postby ian c » Mon Jun 23, 2014 6:46 am

It looks like you have tried everything.
Contact GoPro Support for advice.
I don't know where you reside but in the EU the camera is covered by a two year warranty.
ian c

Postby relaxman » Mon Jun 23, 2014 7:08 am

faulty camera, send it back.
do you have 2 year warranty?
relaxman

Postby dimi__ » Mon Jun 30, 2014 8:25 am

I've had contact with someone from the gopro support team and it turned out that it was infact the SD card that caused the problem.

He told me that if your SD card causes a problem in the camera, the camera can stil act improperly until you do a reset.

This is what you should do:
1. Remove the battery and the SD card.
2. Insert just the battery.
3. Press and hold the shutter button.
4. While you are holding the shutter button, quickly press the mode button.
5. If the camera turns on, you can let go of the shutter button.

If you are able to navigate through the camera after this, the problem wil most likely be the SD card.

I hope this wil help you aswell.
dimi__

Postby Andrew13 » Mon Jan 23, 2017 9:49 am

while i was skiing ... in 0/-8°C Temps our Gopro's showed low temp indicator...
showed low level of battery ... and turned off. Both of them!
Gopro Hero 3 Silver +
san disks 64gb & 32gb
i tried to recharge them ... the problem still existed... only for some minutes they record and stoped...

both of our cameras was in 40m house...
mount on our heads and chests...

how is that possible???
how you record such beautiful videos on Snow places ... and i cant record 2minutes ...and after 2 minutes i open my camera for record and in 5 seconds going off????

any tips except all of these???
any house that keeping my camera warm?
any other battery that can supply my camera on cold conditions???

this is unbelievable for Gorpo....
chinese cameras in ebay... records in -5C !!!
Andrew13

Return to GoPro Hero3 White & Silver Editions