Welcome
Welcome to goprouser

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you full access to view most discussions and access.. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements if any. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today! Any issues email [email protected]

Session 4 Bluetooth?

The new Cube Camera

Session 4 Bluetooth?

Postby Big Stu » Sun Jan 22, 2017 9:34 pm

Hi
I am a new Go Pro owner and have just purchased a Session 4 and want to know if you can turn the wi-if off and connect to the capture app by Bluetooth.
Thanks
Big Stu

Re: Session 4 Bluetooth?

Postby suryaprihadi » Sun Jan 22, 2017 11:43 pm

The answer is : NO

Bluetooth is made available only because of Apple/iOS device. It is not for data transfer.
The data/picture/video transfer and all communication while using GoPro Wifi Apps ( now called Capture Apps ) is by wifi, which has the data bandwith for the job.

Why Bluetooth and why Apple exclusive ?
A virgin cam connected to the Capture App will need bluetooth handshake first and then wifi, both Android and iOS.
However, when camera is shut down via Capture Apps, only on iOS you can wake up ( power-ON) the cam past 20 minutes.
Past 20 minutes, the wifi get shut down on the cam to save battery and the bluetooth takes over, purely for a low power trigger device.
If I remember correctly, the wake up limit is 6 hours, past this the cam will also shut down the bluetooth.

With an Android, past 20 minutes, you must power-ON the cam manually by hand as the bluetooth is not used in an Android as a low power trigger device.

However, do not ever TURN OFF the iOS device while it put to sleep a GP cam, say 3 hours sleep/stand by/power off is required.
If you did TURNED OFF the iOS, the Capture App will loose its "memory" that a cam with wifi ID xxxx was actually on stand-by, something like an un-finished business :lol: .
By the time you TURN ON the iOS device and start again Capture App, you will never be able to connect to the cam, unless you delete this cam wifi ID on the iOS you must FORGET the Bluetooth ID of this cam on the iOS and DELETE this cam on Capture App database . Then the cam do a virgin pairing again to the iOS, then all will be normal.

What happen is this :
AA. The GP Cam due to being turned off by an iOS and pass 20 minutes, it then will only want to wake-up wirelessly by bluetooth command, not wifi....but to only the iOS which is had been paired to. Alternative is, manually turn ON by hand pressing POWER button.

BB. On the other hand, the iOS device, when it is POWERED-ON and its Capture App set to run, due to already registering this cam wifi ID , the iOS will communicate only by wifi and not bluetooth to the cam. The Capture App when already turned off, it will delete all the "un-finished business" and will start fresh. Remember, Bluetooth is only used by Capture App whenever a new cam is registered. Once already registered, bluetooth has no use , except with iOS and pass 20 minutes of shut-down of a GP cam by Capture App.

Not understanding AA and BB drive user using iOS nuts, because they seen that the cam wifi ID is still there in their device and is still registered with Capture App. User can also see bluetooth ID of cam is still there and wifi transmission of the cam is seen on the wifi list on iOS device, but no re-connection will be possible... :mrgreen: , because cam STILL remembered that this iOS is supposed to do initial contact by Bluetooth, and not wifi.
The cam still remembered the un-finished business. :mrgreen:

One more to note. Anytime a GP cam is ever connected to an iOS, it will retain the parameter of expecting to re-connect pass 20 minutes of stand-by using bluetooth. If only android device-s is being used to connect to that GP cam, it will be more troublefree as far as powering-ON using Capture App after past 20 minutes of stand-by. Simply power on the cam manually and the wifi will re-connect with Capture App easy and fast, even if the Android device has been turned OFF.

All this is due to Apple ANAL policy on bluetooth device connected to an iOS.
Apple is a control freak , no device with bluetooth can connect to an Apple iPad/smartphone unless it is apple approved ( non JailBreak Apple ).

I have ipad-s and iphone-s, but I hate using it for GoPro cam Capture App, its less forgiving than an Android.

GoPro also wont be stupid enough to keep its bluetooth running forever and drain its battery just to wait for an iOS to wake it up :mrgreen:
I am a Forum Sponsor not because I sell stuff.
I owe my knowledge to this forum and I would like to do some payback.
suryaprihadi
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Postby Big Stu » Mon Jan 23, 2017 1:40 am

Thanks for that. Is it possible to connect it to an iPad to download the videos and photos?
Big Stu

Postby suryaprihadi » Wed Jan 25, 2017 1:05 am

of course
I am a Forum Sponsor not because I sell stuff.
I owe my knowledge to this forum and I would like to do some payback.
suryaprihadi
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Return to GoPro Hero4 Session