Welcome
Welcome to goprouser

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you full access to view most discussions and access.. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements if any. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today! Any issues email [email protected]

Drowned HERO 4 Black

GoPro User Discuss the Hero HD4 Blk Camera Here

Drowned HERO 4 Black

Postby MrGrunthunter » Thu Feb 02, 2017 2:03 am

Has anyone had their HERO 4 submerged in water and have it survive. I had mine mounted on a drone that I crashed into a fresh water reservoir yesterday, probably in about 6 ft of water under some weeds and couldn't find it. I'm going back out today with a friend who has side scanning sonar on his boat.
If we find it is there any chance the GoPro will survive, after it gets dried out of course ? If not, what about the memory card?
MrGrunthunter

Re: Drowned HERO 4 Black

Postby sidd finch » Thu Feb 02, 2017 7:47 am

Memory card should be ok. Just remove the case and battery and place the camera in a bag of rice for a couple of weeks to dry out. Do not try to turn it on for a couple of weeks as the water might cause a short.

Sidd
sidd finch

Postby MrGrunthunter » Thu Feb 02, 2017 11:58 am

Thanks for the reply Sidd, I got lucky and found it today. It had cut through some weeds, got tripped and ended up nose down with the camera in the water. The thick weeds kept it from sinking to the bottom. It's a fresh water reservoir but on a working cattle ranch so there's a lot of pasture run off into it. I brought it home and hosed the camera and drone off with fresh clean water, blew it off with my compressor and put it in a bag of rice. I haven't tried recharging the battery yet. When we pulled it out of the water I noticed condensation in the lens so that concerns me a little. Could have been from the cold water. It's gone now but I figured I'd wait a few days, maybe a week, before I try putting a battery in it to power it up. I pulled the SD card out and it seems to have survived fine. I was at the very end of a 7.25 mile flight recording a canal and crashed about 50 ft from where I was going to quit recording. I pulled the files off of the card and have them on my computer now. I'm happy that I was able to save all of that work. I sure didn't want to have to do it all over again. I've reviewed all of the video and it seems fine so now I can start processing it. Oh yeah, we spotted quite a few gators on the way out to the crash site and glad none of them were all that curious as to why we were poking around in the weeds LOL.
MrGrunthunter

Postby Jatekman » Thu Feb 02, 2017 6:07 pm

Glad to hear that about the gators :D
What happened to me, my 4BE get for maybe 7-8 minutes into a running washing machine ( don't ask how :) ) together with a gimbal.
I removed all battery and memory card, dried off with soft paper and put all together except the memory card in the oven for half n hour at 50 C.
After that I waited for few hours and loaded up the batterys and it worked, not all fine but ok.
The cam lost the left side of the LCD screen, right side is ok and the gimbal lost some function but basically still working.
So be patient and maybe you get lucky, hope the best for you.

Ciao Rob
Jatekman

Postby sidd finch » Fri Feb 03, 2017 3:23 am

Good to know that you recovered your camera. Hopefully the rice will do the trick. Just a quick tip: In the future instead of using water try using rubbing alcohol instead. Water does not evaporate very fast but rubbing alcohol will. Just be sure you are in a well ventilated room. I hope it comes back to life.

Sidd
sidd finch

Postby mikerb » Fri Feb 03, 2017 10:09 am

all good advise. There is nothing in the gopro to damage in terms of fresh water provided there was no power running through it at the time. So a lot depends on whether the camera was running and for how long because that is what damages components. As has been said all you can do is remove the battery and rinse it in fresh water ( or alcohol) and then wait for it to dry thoroughly. Personally I would use self indicating silica gel rather than rice in a sealed container and change the gel time it show signs of darkening. I would wait at least 2 weeks before trying it.
mikerb

Postby MrGrunthunter » Sat Feb 04, 2017 11:51 am

MANY THANKS FOR THE REPLIES GUYS. i WISH i HAD THOUGHT ABOUT THE ALCOHOL BUT I THINK IT'S KINDA LATE NOW.
I was just going to wait a week but now with all your comments I think I'll wait two weeks. I did make a short video of the crash just for kicks and have it posted on my YouTube Channel : https://youtu.be/07VidNfALVU I haven't tried recharging the GoPro battery yet.
MrGrunthunter

Re: Drowned HERO 4 Black --- UPDATE

Postby MrGrunthunter » Sun Feb 12, 2017 3:04 pm

UPDATE on my drowned GoPro. After being submerged in a local reservoir for 24 hours I brought it home and after hosing it off good with clean water and blowing it off with my air hose I placed it in a baggie of rice for 9 days. Friday I pulled it out of the bag and made sure I got all of the rice out of the battery compartment, the battery charged up fine and the camera seems to be working with no problems. I'm waiting until the first of the week to pull my drone out of the rice to test it. "fingers crossed !!!"
MrGrunthunter

Postby sidd finch » Mon Feb 13, 2017 10:46 am

That is awesome news glad to hear it still works.... now about flying next to water again...... lol

Sidd
sidd finch

Postby MrGrunthunter » Mon Feb 13, 2017 11:02 am

sidd finch wrote:That is awesome news glad to hear it still works.... now about flying next to water again...... lol

Sidd

Definitely will be wearing a life jacket! LOL I still have the other end of the reservoir I want to video and you can be sure I'm going to be 'puckered up' until it lands safely back on the ground. :-) No more low level flying there.
MrGrunthunter

Return to GoPro Hero4 Blk