Welcome
Welcome to goprouser

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you full access to view most discussions and access.. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements if any. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today! Any issues email goprousergroup@gmail.com

GoPro Kiteboarding Mount

Gopro User forum. This Old Forum is unlocked but ARCHIVED

Re: GoPro Kiteboarding Mount

Postby spoetnik » Tue Jun 29, 2010 7:23 am

My (yet untested) version of a line mount. Hoping for some wind to test it soon.
mount1.jpg
mount1.jpg (50.86 KiB) Viewed 3030 times

mount2.jpg
mount2.jpg (56.93 KiB) Viewed 3030 times
Last edited by spoetnik on Wed Jun 30, 2010 5:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
spoetnik

Postby PointofViewCameras » Tue Jun 29, 2010 8:09 am

Another great example of the Kite Hero mount in Action:
PointofViewCameras

Postby tay » Tue Jul 06, 2010 11:19 pm

I tried to build several different mounts in order to fix the gopro on the lines, all of them can be used to take pictures but none of them took a very good video with no vibrations and no rotations.
BUT, for my last try, I build a system that is fixed to the middle line (or lines depending on your kite) that "slides" on the external lines. The video is much much more stable. I will try to add a piece of my video tonight as well as a picture of the mount.

If someone found an other solution, I will be very interested to build the same and test it.
tay

Postby KiteSurfingKen » Mon Nov 08, 2010 9:29 am

This is the site of the guy who makes and sells the Kitehero:
http://kitehero.com/
I have seen some fo the video from this mount and it suffers from the same wobble that you mentioned.
However I saw someone post a modification for this mount that is supposed to work really well to stabilize the camera.
They used the tape hole to mount a short piece of rod (I think it was aluminum, but I would probably use plastic myself).
The rod was the right length so that the ends were right at the rear steering lines.
On the end of the rod were elastic loops
The rear lines passed through the loops and acted as a guide.
This kept the kite from wobbling and still allowed the steering of the kite.
I can't find any pictures of it anymore.
It would also present more of a risk than just the Kitehero Line mount by itself if you needed to activate your safety.
http://www.kiteforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2364950&hilit=kitehero

With the new Upside down option in the firmware, you can also easily mount the Kitehero inverted. With the camera hanging down it should not move around as much.
http://kitehero.com/2010/06/line-mount-setup/
KiteSurfingKen

Postby dronesmaster » Wed Mar 15, 2017 5:27 am

manywiresloose wrote:I wanted to mount my cam on the kite, but with the wide angle lens, it's just too far away from the board to be of much use...the rider appears tiny. So, I once again used the base of the display case to fashion a line mount for the cam. Line mounting is inherently problematic since the lines tend to twist and spin...making video an editing nightmare...but I can't think of a better place to mount the cam that will deliver good video.

I drilled a couple of 5mm holes on either side of the display case's base and threaded through the two lines that run to the leading edge of my kite. As you can see from the pic, I was fortunate that the HQ Neo's control lines fork just above the safety release pulley - which provides some resistance to spinning. In my simple tests, the cam stays fairly stable when the kite is pulling the lines taut, but its orientation varies a little too much for my tastes (moves from portrait to landscape as the line slacks). That approach works, but I wanted less variability in camera orientation and easier editing, so I rigged the cam to the trailing edge lines instead. It involved tying a a couple of knots in the control bar's trailing edge lines (just as they attach to the trailing edge lines from the kite - about 7' from the control bar) and then threading a couple of 2' lengths of paracord through the holes I drilled in the display case's base. I ran the paracord in an "X" pattern for stability and then tied it off on opposite sides of the knots I'd tied in the control bar lines (to prevent the paracord from slipping in either direction. When the lines are taut, the camera mount rests just in front of the [url=http://www.repuestoshelicopterorc.net/]control bar[/url]'s center line (the one that splits into two and attaches to the kite's leading edge) and the camera seems as stable as it's ever likely to become while line mounted - and it can't change orientation. I think this will be the approach I test in the water on the next windy day.

I'd appreciate the advice of anyone with helpful suggestions as to how to improve upon this mounting system.

ImageImageImageImageImage

This is a perfect topic for a beginner like me... :D
dronesmaster

Previous

Return to Old Forum Topics - Tips, Tricks and DIY Customizations - ALL Models