Welcome
Welcome to goprouser

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you full access to view most discussions and access.. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements if any. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today! Any issues email [email protected]

Please help: How to remove "instrument removable mount"?

Discuss Creative Mounting of the GoPro including DIY.

Please help: How to remove "instrument removable mount"?

Postby zakhooi » Tue Mar 21, 2017 6:15 pm

Hi,

I've used an 'removable instrument mount' on the body of my guitar.
It's been there for about a year now but I can't get it off.
The little flap you're supposed to pull for removing even ripped off and the mount really feels glued to the body.
I've never expected the mount to get this hard to be removed from the body of my guitar.

Now I'm afraid to damage the finish of my guitar when using too much force.

Has anyone experience with this and has some tips on how to approach this challenge the best?

Thanks in advance.
zakhooi

Re: Please help: How to remove "instrument removable mount"?

Postby zakhooi » Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:48 pm

Thanks for the hint but even that is not working because the string is cutting through my skin of my hands easier than through the sticky part of the mount.
Besides that the string is jammed when inside the sticky layer (too sticky to keep the motion going on).
I will never use this type of mount again :(

Any other ideas? I have to remove three of them.
zakhooi

Postby PTCX » Thu Mar 23, 2017 12:36 am

Try a little heat.Enough to soften the adhesive but not for long enough to over heat the finish on the guitar.
Use a hair dryer directly on the mount and that should soften the adhesive enough to lift it.
When you get an edge starting to lift keep the pressure on and keep re-applying heat in short bursts when it starts to cool down.
Wear some gloves.
A softish prying tool like a credit card could come in handy.
PTCX

Postby sidd finch » Thu Mar 23, 2017 8:05 am

try maybe using a pair of good leather work gloves, or wrap the guitar string around 2 small blocks of wood to use as a handle.

Once you get all the adhesive off the plastic mount I would suggest trying to use command strips in the future. The are pretty inexpensive and for me they have worked really well.

Sidd
sidd finch

Return to GoPro Mounted