Welcome
Welcome to goprouser

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you full access to view most discussions and access.. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements if any. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today! Any issues email [email protected]

Extending the GoPro wireless range

Discuss creative ideas for Remotely Controling your GoPro.

Extending the GoPro wireless range

Postby Alzibiff » Mon Apr 14, 2014 7:36 pm

I have my GoPro 3+ in a wooden box in the garden looking out onto a bird feeder through a macro lens which provides close up shots of feeding birds. I can connect the GoPro App on my iPad when a couple of metres away but the signal is not strong enough when at a "bird watching" distance. (Just when I think everything is stable, I lose the connection).

First thoughts were to purchase a Netgear WiFi range extender which I could plug into a shed close to the camera location - the idea being that a unit connected to the mains supply would be able to push out a lot more signal than the Hero with its small 'do everything' lithium battery - but the GoPro app doesn't seem to like that idea.
Can anybody suggest how I can get this working?

My set up (which does not work), is as follows...
Netgear range extender connects to GoPro camera WiFi using GoPro camera SSID, sees the camera at 10.5.5.9 and obtains its own i/p address from the camera, (10.5.5.109).
Using a different SSID, the range extender connects to the iPad - still OK - but the GoPro App does not seem to want to communicate back to the range extender for some reason. Is the app hardcoded such that it will only talk directly to 10.5.5.9? If so, is there some way of sorting this out?

Hey ho!
Alan

EDIT: I've taken the Netgear Wireless Range Extender back to the shop and got a complete refund so I can start afresh ..... any clever ideas on how to extend the range of the GoPro WiFi bearing in mind that the camera will be set up in a static position?
Alzibiff

Re: Extending the GoPro wireless range

Postby JoeT » Fri Apr 25, 2014 2:18 pm

I bought a Netgear Universal Wifi Range Extender and it works just fine. It connects to the GoPro and creates another WiFi network with "_EXT" appended to your SSID. Connect to that SSID and it's just like connecting to the camera, except much, much better range. I've used it with both an iPhone 5s and an iPad 4th Gen.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/NETGEAR-Unive ... r/16636647

Joe
JoeT

Postby oblatespheroid » Sun Oct 05, 2014 2:02 pm

Hey Joe, What range did you achieve and using what antenna on your router etc. Thanks
oblatespheroid

Postby relaxman » Wed Dec 31, 2014 6:06 pm

What do you guys think, will this extender work with H3B+?
NEXX 1520H

thanks!
relaxman

Postby relaxman » Tue Jan 20, 2015 7:28 am

i have the answer in a few days.. :roll:
relaxman

Postby RobMor » Thu Mar 23, 2017 6:28 pm

Hello Joe and friends. I have just followed your really useful post on extending GoPro WiFi range. I have bought and installed a Netgear WN3000 Range Extender. I have successfully paired my Hero+ with the Range Extender, and I can see that it is transmitting my camera name plus _EXT as you say. However, I don't seem to be able to link my Connect smartphone app to the Range Extender. It just says it can't find the camera. Could you or someone else on the forum tell me the sequence of actions I need to go through to make this connection?
RobMor

Return to GoPro Remotely Controlled