Welcome
Welcome to goprouser

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you full access to view most discussions and access.. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements if any. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today! Any issues email [email protected]

Compressing a Dusk to Dawn time lapse ?

Discuss everything about TimeLapse Videos, Tips, Questions etc. No Camera issues please.

Compressing a Dusk to Dawn time lapse ?

Postby MrGrunthunter » Mon Apr 10, 2017 2:41 pm

Last weekend I tried recording a Dusk to Dawn time lapse over a local reservoir. It was a nice clear cool and dry night so I didn't have to contend with a lot of condensation early in the morning. The big downside was that there was almost a full moon so I couldn't capture all of the star details but it was an experiment anyway. I recorded for 12 hours from 7:30pm until 7:30am with my GoPro HERO 4 Black. The camera Time Lapse settings were:
SHUTTER: 30Sec
INTERVAL: Continuous
MEGAPIXELS: 12mp Wide
Spot Meter: OFF
Protune: ON
White Balance: 3000K
COLOR: GoPro Color
ISO Max: 800
Sharpness: Medium
The final product out of the GoPro were two files totaling 23:59.22 (I cut 3 frames from the end where I stuck my face in front of the camera to see if it was still recording lol)
I am using VEGAS PRO 14 to process the video and want to compress it down to around maybe 3-4 min. I tried grabbing the end of the video clip and dragging it to the left but it appears to at some point to be clipping off frames from the end.
I guess my question is: Is there a limit as to how much you can compress a video clip like this?
MrGrunthunter

Re: Compressing a Dusk to Dawn time lapse ?

Postby MrGrunthunter » Tue Apr 11, 2017 2:25 pm

That's sort of what I ended up doing. I ended up getting it compressed down to about 2 min. I need to practice some more though. I kind of knew I was going to have a problem getting any detail of the stars because last Friday evening was almost a full moon. I had to do it them because it was a clear sky and very dry that night so I didn't accumulate any condensation on the camera etc. I really think I need to change the settings in the camera to initially get a shorter video file but not sure what that should be yet.
Anybody have a HERO 4 Black that could give me some recommendations?
MrGrunthunter

Return to GoPro TimeLapses