Welcome
Welcome to goprouser

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you full access to view most discussions and access.. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements if any. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today! Any issues email [email protected]

Disconnecting external power shuts off camera?

Reliably Power your GoPro, USB, Dummy Battery, etc

Disconnecting external power shuts off camera?

Postby Moe55 » Thu Apr 13, 2017 3:17 pm

Hero 5 black
Camera is mounted on a trike. External power connected to camera from USB 5V 1A.
Power camera on with internal power then switch on external power. Shows charging icon in side battery on the screen. Everything works fine battery charges, can record video for several hours and still have a fully charged battery.

If the external power is shut off with the switch or turning the trike off the camera shuts off and I can not restart it unless the battery is removed and put back in then all is normal. If disconnect the external power from the camera before shutting the trike off then camera continues to operate and can be shut down normally.

Can anyone tell me why this happens? If I forget or stall the trike have to stop remove the camera pull the battery and start all over again. Is there something I am doing wrong with this set up? This is workable just does not seam normal.
Moe55

Re: Disconnecting external power shuts off camera?

Postby PTCX » Thu Apr 13, 2017 10:50 pm

Try another power source not connected to the trikes electrical system apart from direct connection to the battery.There are plenty of USB chargers around that are inexpensive and easy to hook up.
Make sure to get one with the correct output. 5 Volts and between 1.5Amp and 2.1Amp.

Search for "USB charger Motorcycle" on ebay or amazon and you should find what you need.

I've been using these for years with no issues.https://burnsmoto.com/products/usb-powe ... atherproof
PTCX

Postby Moe55 » Fri Apr 14, 2017 12:57 am

Using this for connection that is switched and has a relay not connected directly to the battery.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01 ... UTF8&psc=1
Moe55

Postby PTCX » Fri Apr 14, 2017 3:33 am

That should do the job nicely.
PTCX

Return to GoPro External Power Solutions