Welcome
Welcome to goprouser

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you full access to view most discussions and access.. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements if any. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today! Any issues email [email protected]

Disconnecting external power shuts off camera?

Reliably Power your GoPro, USB, Dummy Battery, etc

Disconnecting external power shuts off camera?

Postby Moe55 » Thu Apr 13, 2017 3:17 pm

Hero 5 black
Camera is mounted on a trike. External power connected to camera from USB 5V 1A.
Power camera on with internal power then switch on external power. Shows charging icon in side battery on the screen. Everything works fine battery charges, can record video for several hours and still have a fully charged battery.

If the external power is shut off with the switch or turning the trike off the camera shuts off and I can not restart it unless the battery is removed and put back in then all is normal. If disconnect the external power from the camera before shutting the trike off then camera continues to operate and can be shut down normally.

Can anyone tell me why this happens? If I forget or stall the trike have to stop remove the camera pull the battery and start all over again. Is there something I am doing wrong with this set up? This is workable just does not seam normal.
Moe55

Re: Disconnecting external power shuts off camera?

Postby PTCX » Thu Apr 13, 2017 10:50 pm

Try another power source not connected to the trikes electrical system apart from direct connection to the battery.There are plenty of USB chargers around that are inexpensive and easy to hook up.
Make sure to get one with the correct output. 5 Volts and between 1.5Amp and 2.1Amp.

Search for "USB charger Motorcycle" on ebay or amazon and you should find what you need.

I've been using these for years with no issues.https://burnsmoto.com/products/usb-powe ... atherproof
PTCX

Postby Moe55 » Fri Apr 14, 2017 12:57 am

Using this for connection that is switched and has a relay not connected directly to the battery.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01 ... UTF8&psc=1
Moe55

Postby PTCX » Fri Apr 14, 2017 3:33 am

That should do the job nicely.
PTCX

Postby Moe55 » Fri May 05, 2017 5:40 am

Think have found the problem. Tried another power source for the camera and everything works normal no camera shutting off charges when not recording. The plug must not have been the 5 V output that it says it is? Plugged in the external power and camera battery power went from 98% to 3% instantly, that is why I tried another power source. Below is what changed to. Just a note to anyone thinking of buying this the cables that come with it will only fit an older Go Pro not the Hero 5
https://shop.gopro.com/accessories-2/au ... C-001.html
Moe55

Postby suryaprihadi » Fri May 05, 2017 8:58 pm

Session5 and Black5 uses USB-C charging cable, not the USB2.0.
Anytime you need to supply a GoPro with external power, under load ( camera recording ) voltage can not drop below 4.8V at the camera charging input.
Aside from USB charger seller/manufacturer not being honest about product actual power rating, long cable run is no-go for such low 5V.

Your Trike has 12 volt starting battery starting correct ?
What best to do will be, send 2.5mm wires from the 12V battery to near the GoPro . From that wire rig it to the USB 12V charger. From USB charger to GoPro using good thick short USB-C cable as supplied with your Black5...connect it to the Black5.

You will need a Smart Remote for recording start-stop convenience. If Smart Remote typical 3 hours battery life is enough for you, that is good.

On land do USB charger power suitability test.
If any USB charger honestly produce a mere 1.5Amp and if at 1.1A load ( Black5 max load ) it can maintain 5V, you are good to go and may do this test :
USB charger being an electronic power supply , it will drop its voltage when its watts output exceeded power supply limit or near limit, depending on how robust is the design.
Usually 80% max load is what you want to apply.

Use the same length of 2.5mm 12V wires from your Trike battery to the USB charger to do this test, you can use your car battery if you want as long as the same wire size and length is used. The same USB 2.0 to USB-C charging wire to be used too.

I don't know a Trike's engine DC alternator, but I would imagine it is like a small car engine alternator.
Fully charged battery without being charged is 12.7 volt. White being charged it will be approx 14 to 14.2 Volt.
Do this test with engine OFF, so 12V battery at lowest voltage.

Any USB charger used in a car ( 12V source ), technically would work well from 12 to 16V and truck version one will work from 12 - 32V ( truck uses 24V battery ).

Use low state charged GoPro battery, say 30%. The lower the better, say 15% charged.
Keep camera cool using fan if you are at 30C ambient temp.
Use highest 4K recording, set LCD display to never sleep and use wifi apps aka GoPro Capture. Wifi Apps send video feed and it need more power than Smart Remote simple data exchange. Press record and charge the Black5.

If you can do a mere 1 hour recording and battery % never drop at all, that means the USB charger pumps enough juice and its worthy to use.
While I am writing this, I am also doing test for you. Since I don't use Black5 with external power supply like I did with Hero4, I am also experimenting for info sake :mrgreen:

What seems to happen is this :
Black5 will not allow charging + power supplying if camera in record mode, it only allow power supplying. Which is good to cool down battery as the Hero4 and Hero5 uses thermal sensor in their battery to indicate overheating.

The moment camera is on stand by only, not recording, charging will occur.
If we use USB-C approved charger as sold by GoPro called supercharger, the charging icon will be in green....meaning QUICK charging is occuring.
If we use common USB2.0 charger, the charging icon stay white but with that little electric icon.

Good luck with your test...
Last edited by suryaprihadi on Fri May 05, 2017 9:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I am a Forum Sponsor not because I sell stuff.
I owe my knowledge to this forum and I would like to do some payback.
suryaprihadi
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Postby suryaprihadi » Fri May 05, 2017 9:08 pm

One more thing........ I just tested ...LOL

If you want to do a more comprehensive test, what you can do is to remove the Black5 battery.
It will power ON and RECORD without the battery, as long as the USB charger can supply enough juice.
A low power USB charger can only POWER ON the camera but can not RECORD, not enough juice. I just tested with my old Smatree USB charger which has 1A dand 2.1A port.

However, not having a battery is not good for MP4 safety. MP4 video need closing sentence when one stop recording. In an event of accidental power loss , the MP4 recording which gets cut off suddenly, can not close the file with that "ending" sentence. GoPro can do repair on such file, but I would not want to take that chance.

Safe Triking....
suryaprihadi
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Postby Moe55 » Sat May 06, 2017 3:36 pm

Suryaprihadi thank you for all the info. Most of what you suggested had done before changing the adapter that was using. Have no way of testing the true voltage going to the camera suspect that the adapter manufacture was less than accurate with their voltage readings. Have recorded a couple videos with the new set up. Due to weather have not been able to ride more than an hour at a time. Camera battery was only a little lower than when I started on the hour ride and on the other stopped recording for awhile and battery came up to 100%.
Thank you again for all your help.
Moe55

Postby suryaprihadi » Sat May 06, 2017 8:47 pm

okey dokey Moe :)
suryaprihadi
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Return to GoPro External Power Solutions