Welcome
Welcome to goprouser

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you full access to view most discussions and access.. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements if any. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today! Any issues email goprousergroup@gmail.com

SRP tray

This section is for PRODUCT REVIEWS done by GoProUserForum Admins. If your company would like to be included here, please PM RAMBO for details.

SRP tray

Postby martcerv » Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:31 pm

SRP Have just announced their new tray setup. Here is my little mini review I will be doing a thorough review when I get the final version.

SRP were kind enough to send me a pre release test version of the tray about a month ago to give some feedback on the design. I have used the tray setup for a few dives so far and it has worked great for me. It does look great and is very light weight with many mounting options with a clever handle setup allowing you to adjust these to suit even underwater very easily if needed. Above water its also quite handy for stability and also can double as a mini tripod.

I have had up to 4 gopro cameras mounted on the tray with no issues mounting 2 on top and 2 upside down, there's plenty of options here for mounting all types of cameras and accessories.

The final retail version has had a few modifications made since the version I have but the basic shape and design is the same, SRP have said they have reduced the weight even more even though I had no issues with the weight so this will just make it more practical to bring on trips.

I had a few different grips to try and used them in all sorts of configurations and also the mounting is now all tool free which makes things much easier. Theres a few more mounting options in the final version too so I look forward to giving that a try and I will be doing a full review of the retail version after I give it a try. I will also be testing it with a pair of video lights in the next week or so and will make a post here when that is done.

My last 2 comparison videos where filmed with the tray and stability was very good for me, easily the best way of mounting a camera and thats why trays have been used for a while. The shape of this one does have the advantage of using it as a basic tripod on land and underwater which is a good advantage over the more traditional trays. Anyone that has a blurfix adapter knows the professional quality finish SRP provides and even my early model of the tray was of a very high quality. The final retail version looks even better and everyone Ive dived with that saw the setup wanted one lol.

On the dives I used for the footage there was a fair amount of surge and I didn't shoot many shots where I wasn't moving if any. There was so much down there to see that I just kept on swimming along filming everything I saw, as I must look a little scary to the little creatures they do like to keep on moving so I just follow them along lol. It would be great if fish stayed still and paused for a bit but I haven't seen many that do this where I dive.

For me the stability was great and its easy enough to use all modes on the gopro 1 and 2 cameras as keeping the camera still enough is no issue. More advanced divers will get much better results then me as I'm only a beginner still when it comes to underwater video, each dive I get a little better but its always a learning experience for me.

I am uploading a test video which I will add here showing some longer continuous shots, its just going very slowly lol so for now you can see my other videos I shot with the setup.

Here I used 3 gopro cameras (2xHD2 1xHD1) mounted on the tray 2 on top and one upside down underneath which will show the lower angle shots. This lower camera was sometimes dragging through the weeds and bumping into stuff as I was framing with an LCD on one of the top mounted cams and kind of forgot this was there most of the time lol. The lower angle one actually produced some cooler angles though which let you get down very close to the bottom and in amongst the weeds.

This video is just showing a few shots in 1080P modes of both cams with and without filters.

Here is the same days footage showing all the modes of the cameras side by side.

Here is a couple of longer shots just showing how the stability is in general use swimming through a dive site. This was basically the raw footage used in the comparison tests and I think its cool as it shows just how much there is to see at this site. I just moved along filming everything I saw with some very stable footage but other times I was just looking for other things when I may not have been actually targeting anything in particular but kept the camera rolling.

Forum Moderator

Support our Sponsors - Click the Links
Surya Prihadi - Advanced GoPro Tester
Snake River Prototyping - BlurFix - NEW PRODUCTS OUT NOW Nov 2013
Sports Camera Hire & Sales Australia
HydroRemote Cable Systems
Hobby Mounts UK
Outdoor Equipment Rentals
Hardened Power Systems
Cam-Do
Fotodiox Pro - NEW PRODUCTS OUT NOW Feb 2014
martcerv
Forum Mod

Re: SRP tray

Postby martcerv » Mon Feb 20, 2012 4:46 pm

UPDATED

Here are some pics of some cool ways of mounting more cams or anything else to the tray along with multiple ways of using this tray. I also used one of the handles as a basic monopd which works well even to have a camera on one side and a light on the other thanks to the top and bottom threaded holes on the handles.

You can mount a gopro upside down underneath and your other camera above or any other combination above or below in the central mounts or anywhere along the rails.

Image Image Image Image
Image Image Image Image
Image Image Image Image Image

Here is SRP's facebook page and looks like they are adding more and more cool pics so they're worth a look for anyone interested.

http://www.facebook.com/snakeriverprototyping
Forum Moderator

Hobby Mounts UK
Hardened Power Systems
Cam-Do
martcerv
Forum Mod

Postby martcerv » Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:55 pm

Here is a basic quick test showing the tray in use on land, The light is pretty bright and the dogs were in the shade so not the best angle to shoot towards the light mostly.

It does show basic stability with this tray for land use from running in the first shot which isnt great lol to a few other shots in motion and one using it in the tripod setup.

Forum Moderator

Hobby Mounts UK
Hardened Power Systems
Cam-Do
martcerv
Forum Mod

Postby martcerv » Fri Mar 16, 2012 12:27 am

Here is the latest video I made with the tray.

[vimeo]38563751[/vimeo]
Forum Moderator

Hobby Mounts UK
Hardened Power Systems
Cam-Do