Welcome
Welcome to goprouser

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you full access to view most discussions and access.. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today! Any issues email goprousergroup@gmail.com

Cineform Studio - Time lapse conversions PROBLEMS!!

Discussion of All Cineform Studio Software Versions and any Issues with ProTune.

Cineform Studio - Time lapse conversions PROBLEMS!!

Postby RJK » Thu Feb 14, 2013 1:18 pm

I shoot a lot of time lapse sequences.

since upgrading to a Hero3 Blk i am having a number of problems. My sequences are made at 1fps and can be upto 3600 frames in length (90 seconds of 24fps video). I am using Cineform v1.3.2 on a laptop with Windows 7/64 with 8 gbRAM on a 1TB hdisk

1. Cineform just stops converting midway through a sequence, sometimes it indicates it is finished (but has not). No error messages are ever displayed.

2. Cineform assumes a frame rate at input of about 30fps at 'import new files'; but when i use the advanced settings to change the frame rate at output no change occurs the output mp4 video is the same lenght as the calculated input.

3. Yesterday i made the mistake of not changing the name of the output MP4 file and Cineform replaced an older file without any error messages or overwrite warnings.

Are these operator problems or just a case of getting value for money with the $0 - free version of the software.

I have a decent NLE for video but need a simple controllable solution (varying the fps at output) for stitching time lapses into videos.

Help
RJK

Re: Cineform Studio - Time lapse conversions PROBLEMS!!

Postby suryaprihadi » Thu Feb 14, 2013 3:13 pm

What problem ? Me no problem. There are more NOT having problem than those HAVING problem. :mrgreen:

I am on latest one for now v169.

protune-2-7k-cineform-studio-and-its-requirements-t10584.html

Maybe you need to clean your PC from too many programs, sometime that is the reason, some sort of conflict.
Its hard to find the root for this kind of problem, too many PC hardware variations and software installed which could cause this.
I am a Forum Sponsor not because I sell stuff.
I owe my knowledge to this forum and I would like to do some payback.
suryaprihadi
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Postby RJK » Thu Feb 14, 2013 3:48 pm

Hi Sury,

thanks for your thoughts but speed is not the problem. I know these files are 12mpx jpegs and they take time to process.

My concerns are the 'drop out', the failure to change frame rates in the advanced settings and overwriting old files ALL without warning or error messages.

If I have leave my computer to run all night on a batch of files and they are finished in the morning (the same as I do with FFMPEG batch conversions) that is ok.

RJK
RJK

Postby suryaprihadi » Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:05 pm

Hi R,

I am not IT smart or even above average, but I have played with Cineform Studio since Day 1.

The overwriting of old file without warning is common and not a fault. Even in Vegas Pro, the default output when you do not re-name the file, it will be called UNTITLED. Everytime you render and do not specially re-name the output file, it will over write without warning. Its cool to be this way as a proper output will be named, experimental output let it be called UNTITLED.

In Cineform Studio, as I recall, in time lapsed mode, the 1st JPEG in the folder is the default name of output file Cineform will use and it will overwrite that output file when you do a second render.

The 'drop-out" part I do not really understand, me no NLE expert but here is what I get :
dropout Videotape signal 'voids', which are visible as white specks or streaks. Normally the result of tiny bare spots on a tape's magnetic particle coating, or tape debris covering particles and blocking signals.
Source : http://www.digitalpostproduction.com/Ht ... ossary.htm
Source : http://www.bavc.org/preservation/resour ... n-glossary

"A dropout is an old video term which indicated a small loss of picture on playback of a tape. It would often appear black and disappear after a few frames. The rest of the picture would be unaffected. Many people would say this is the result of a defect in the oxide which contained the recording. Sometimes on a bad recording you would have multiple dropouts on the same frame or many over a period of time. The first minute of a tape and the last would often have the most. All tapes would have some and electronic circuits called Drop out Compensators would attempt to make them invisible. If the camera or deck doing the recording was not in good shape the dropouts would appear in playback of the recording. If only the playback deck was the issue then the issue was more salvageable. Different tape had different formulations and getting things to match up correctly was a difficult task. Worn out video heads often give recordings which have more problems then newer heads which is often misdiagnosed as dropouts.

In todays mostly digital world dropouts might not appear in the same way as the data is recorded in a different manner than in the analog way. Picture defects on playback still might be tape based but most likely would not be described as dropouts but more likely as errors in the data stream. Blocks of the image freezing are more likely in the digital domain with a tape defect than just a small speck of black while the rest of picture is fine."
Source : http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-dis ... p-out.html

Those are analog terms I am reading.
So what do you really mean by drop-out, I am keen to learn.

Failure to change frame rate I get too when I did not set properly. Practice somemore, you will get the hang of it.
Best to set the frame rate before you send the clip to CONVERSION LIST on the right side.

I had some shor test I did for 5 frames per second and 10 frames per second a while back.
Today I added 30 fps and 60 fps just for you to see how easy they are.
Time lapsed.JPG

How many GB and frames are total for the photos you are processing ?

One thing I learnt in all this years as a beginner for Non Linear Edit is, its too easy to blame a software and very difficult to replicate one's problem on another friend's computer. So tracking problem down takes real IT expert. Cineform Studio is not great, but its OK and its getting more and more stable this v169 latest.

I suggest you see your CPU load when doing time lapsed conversion to AVI or AVI>>MP4
The higher the constant load is and the longer the CPU worked that way, chances of crash or problems you encounter is high, that is my experience with my old i7 860.

"Clean-up" your computer is my advice, less background programs running the better.

Good luck trying.
I am a Forum Sponsor not because I sell stuff.
I owe my knowledge to this forum and I would like to do some payback.
suryaprihadi
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Return to Cineform Studio Software & ProTune