Welcome
Welcome to goprouser

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you full access to view most discussions and access.. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today! Any issues email goprousergroup@gmail.com

GoPro Black keeps turning istelf off?!?

Discuss the HD3 Black & BacPacs, General, Issues and Trouble Shooting. Please read the Stickies inside before posting

Re: GoPro Black keeps turning istelf off?!?

Postby Nigep » Thu May 30, 2013 5:50 pm

suryaprihadi wrote:Approx 58C the camera willl auto shutdown WITHOUT warning, older firmware. V39 firmware pushes to approx 63C.
It is not a faulty camera, it is a safety feature but the firmware people did not place a warning into the message system at front LCD display.
To get the front of the camera that hot within 10-20 minutes of recording at 20C ambient, you are using 1080p 50 or 60 fps or higher bit rate for sure, or perhaps protune.

See this :
viewtopic.php?f=35&t=12646

Know the camera limits ( now that I am telling you heheheeh )
Sony A55 will overheat and shut down recording in approx 8 minutes
Sony NEX7 in approx 17 minutes.

Have fun.....

So the camera overheats when recording in high resolution modes and shuts itself down automatically ? and you say it`s not faulty ? :shock:

OK, perhaps it isn`t `faulty`, but its a crap design if that`s the problem !!

What`s the point of making the camera so small that it can`t dissapate the heat to enable users to actually record stuff. :evil:

What you are saying is, don`t use the camera high resolution modes if you want to record more than 20 minutes? Genius.
Nigep

Postby OzzieBloke » Thu May 30, 2013 11:57 pm

Don't use the camera high resolutions modes if you want to record more than 20 minutes... without cooling of some sort.

Or move to Greenland. Or Antarctica.

Admittedly, this is where GoPro did stuff up a bit. In the effort to make the camera even smaller, they reduced the heat dissipation ability of the cam; compare the amount of heatsinking in the Hero2, which I've had shut down but only at 75 C.
OzzieBloke

Postby suryaprihadi » Fri May 31, 2013 5:13 am

Nigep,

All cameras when overheat will auto shut down....are you blind or could not read that I wrote Sony A55 ( US$1,200 ) and NEX7 ( US$1,300 ) will also shut down ? :mrgreen: Auto shutdown is a SAFETY build into the camera dude. If it burst into flame, that is faulty...ha ha ha.

The Sony NEX7 uses APS-C, it is a big sensor. Body is small and no need for camera body to be hot, the camera sense its CMOS sensor being hot and will auto shut down the recording and turn camera off eventually when the real danger limit is reached.

Sony A55 over heat issue
http://www.engadget.com/2010/09/29/sony ... ng-sensor/
http://www.popphoto.com/gear/2010/09/te ... ting-issue

It is just GP did not send a warning to its LCD and beep beep telling user about it and perhaps in a minute, shut OFF camera. Yep, quite stupid on GP part....agree 100%.

HD3 Black is not for everyone, not for you for sure :lol: , since you can not comprehend or accept that even at a lower 33 mbps data bit rate ( 33 mbps is very high for a camera, higher is 46mbps for Protune ) of a small camera is the same as CPU being overclocked plenty.... :mrgreen: . Stick to 1080p 30fps or HD3 Silver if you want less heat on the camera.

If you buy many many other cameras APS-C sensor type or any DLSR and do long records, you will know, all will auto shut down at some point....even though they have more cooling radiator than a HD3 Black.

HD3 Black is not a toy. Priced like one, small like one.........but its an ultra high performance camera at smallest foot print....which translate to LOTS OF HEAT ...yep sad truth. That is why I have 3 units now. So i can keep them cool. :D
I am a Forum Sponsor not because I sell stuff.
I owe my knowledge to this forum and I would like to do some payback.
suryaprihadi
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Postby Nigep » Fri May 31, 2013 5:29 am

suryaprihadi wrote:Nigep,

All cameras when overheat will auto shut down....are you blind or could not read that I wrote Sony A55 ( US$1,200 ) and NEX7 ( US$1,300 ) will also shut down ?

HD3 Black is not for everyone, not for you for sure :lol: , since you can not comprehend or accept that even at a lower 33 mbps data bit rate ( 33 mbps is very high for a camera, higher is 46mbps for Protune ) of a small camera is the same as CPU being overclocked plenty.... :mrgreen: . Stick to 1080p 30fps or HD3 Silver if you want less heat on the camera.

Riiiight.

Thanks for the insightful post. Image

I used to have an old Aiptek camera I used for incar recording at 720p 60fps. It ran off a permanent feed all day long. How stupid of me to think a new GoPro bought 4 years later, advertised as having multiple resolutions couldn`t perform a similar task. I mean, it`s not as if they sell it as a motorsport camera is it ? Oh hang on, THEY DO.

What is there to `comprehend` ? I`m not stupid Image, I`ve run overclocked PC`s in various specifications for years and am well aware that you design adequate cooling to match the performance you are after.

A camera was sold with the option of selecting 1080p, 60fps. I must have missed the small print where they said it will turn off after 20 minutes because they didn`t build enough heat dissipation into the design in their pursuit of making it smaller.

GoPro have built a camera that can`t record in the advertised modes for any great length of time without overheating and shutting down. That isn`t my fault. Don`t blame the customer for wanting to use a product, then finding you need to turn off the features you bought it for in the first place. Image
Nigep

Postby suryaprihadi » Fri May 31, 2013 3:48 pm

Hero2 at 720 60fps, you can record all day long, no issue.
Ever seen the label PROFESSIONAL on the HD3 Black specification list ? I guess that means we need to understand the unit hahahah.

You can send the camera 10 times back to GoPro and claim it is faulty and the same 60ish celcius auto shut down will haunt you. Until they update the firmware again and show warning of : CAMERA IS OVERHEATING - WILL SHUT DOWN IN 10 SECONDS

I can record near 3 hours on HD3 Black at 1080p 60fps, no issue....but I use a fan to cool the camera :mrgreen:
now-this-is-how-much-power-black-consumes-t11784-20.html#p66060

Good, you OC your PC, so you know heat issue.

We old time GoPro owners understood things GP does. They used to update the firmware slow, now faster. They are not the best company for
issuing warning on their user manual.

If you use your HD3 using the FRAME mount, on a bike or a car with a bit of wind blowing to it, it won't overheat so fast or wont overheat at all....that is logic.

All GP has waterproof housing and that limits air circulation, but it is waterproof. If you can not see the logic that waterproof housing will make
camera hotter, better buy the latest Aiptek and use it :mrgreen: BTW Aiptek 720p 60fps is at 15mbps bit rate AT BEST.

If you want to use HD3 Black at high bit rate recording, accept its limitation. It is not a flaw, it is just a limitation when at higher ambient temperature and with housing.

If you don't like it ( HD3 Black ), get a refund and use other lower bit rate model or brand.... simple.

With the picture quality it has given us, which will make other brands/models IQ looking like garbage......we have learnt to accept we can not win all, heat build up we must watch out.

If you are still not happy, sue GoPro for lemon law or whatever law you can use ( assuming you are in the USA ).
1 million HD3 Black sold since Dec 2012, I am guessing and it wont be far off. US$1.2 billion expected sales from HD3 this 2013 according to Forbes.

So you are the 0.0000001% population who seems to not want to accept the 60ish celcius limit. So refund it, it won't change GoPro stellar position for POV camera. Get that Aiptek you seems to love so much :lol: .

There is nothing else we old timers can advice you....you win.
Do what you like, while we enjoy our HD3 black ( with known limitation ) and you using an Aiptek :mrgreen: .
I am a Forum Sponsor not because I sell stuff.
I owe my knowledge to this forum and I would like to do some payback.
suryaprihadi
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Postby steve_t » Fri May 31, 2013 4:07 pm

LOLOL!! Surya, are you starting to lose your patience with the newer members? :lol:
steve_t

Postby Nigep » Fri May 31, 2013 6:07 pm

suryaprihadi wrote:CAMERA IS OVERHEATING - WILL SHUT DOWN IN 10 SECONDS

If you want to use HD3 Black at high bit rate recording, accept its limitation. It is not a flaw, it is just a limitation when at higher ambient temperature and with housing..

Yes. It is.

I really appreciate your condescending attitude. It`s making me feel so welcome to this forum.

You need to blow a Fan over a camera to stop the design flaw causing it to shutdown ? and you think that`s acceptable ? Image

I suspect you`ll find NO users want to ACCEPT that limit, they just learn to work around an inherent design flaw in the camera that they built with insufficient cooling.
Nigep

Postby vanakaru » Fri May 31, 2013 10:41 pm

I find GoPro's great. Never had any serious problems and I think there are no design flaws on the cameras really. It is designed to work in certain temperature range.
Overheating is so common with many camera brands due to the amount of processing we desire from these.
So I am with surya on this. You could try to weight the pros and cons and see if you want to keep using GoPro.
vanakaru

Postby martcerv » Fri May 31, 2013 11:11 pm

Got to say I also agree with Surya, should gopro also issue a note of some sorts regarding possible shutdown of camera when used in High processing modes in high temperatures and in a closed housing. Yes I think they should but also most users that understand electronics and heat will see that this can occur with any camera and when you pack in so much processing power into a small package this may become an issue.

There are ways around it via different mounting methods or modes used or if its not the camera for you then maybe get another that will do the job better. I dont know of anything that can match the quality of the hero3 black in a similar form factor and though I wish it was perfect it isnt but the pro's easily outweigh the cons in my case. I have not had any thermal issues though but if working in extreme temperatures you need to understand that you may need to do something about the heat, 99% of users dont operate the camera in such conditions and so GoPro didnt sacrifice size and weight for everyone else just incase someone wants to operate it in extreme conditions.

As an example a cars windscreen amplifies heat quite a bit and even if you have the aircon on, if the camera is getting direct sun through the windscreen this will greatly heat up the camera and can likely cause it to overheat and shutdown. If it didnt shut down its likely that it would just fry itself and shut down permanently, keeping it there long term even turned off could still destroy the camera just watch these videos below.

This one even filmed with a gopro but its outside the car where its not so hot ;)

Maybe some in car baking to show how the heat can easily become an issue on a car dash
Forum Moderator

Support our Sponsors - Click the Links
Surya Prihadi - Advanced GoPro Tester
Snake River Prototyping - BlurFix - NEW PRODUCTS OUT NOW Nov 2013
Sports Camera Hire & Sales Australia
HydroRemote Cable Systems
Hobby Mounts UK
Outdoor Equipment Rentals
Hardened Power Systems
Cam-Do
Fotodiox Pro - NEW PRODUCTS OUT NOW Feb 2014
martcerv
Forum Mod

Postby Nigep » Fri May 31, 2013 11:14 pm

vanakaru wrote:Overheating is so common with many camera brands due to the amount of processing we desire from these.

If you replaced the word camera with car, would that still be acceptable ?
"Overheating is so common with many car brands due to the amount of performance we desire from these.."
Of course it wouldn`t.

The fact this is a camera doesn`t change the issue that prolonged used causes them to overheat. I don`t care if that`s down to the amount of processing they have to do, case design, packaging to make the smallest camera or which way the wind is blowing.

I bought the GoPro aware of some issues, I`m still aware of those issues and agree it`s a fantastic piece of kit. Just because I`m happy with the performance of it shouldn`t mean I accept it overheats without saying I`m not happy about that.
Nigep

PreviousNext

Return to HD3 Hero Black Edition