Welcome
Welcome to goprouser

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you full access to view most discussions and access.. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today! Any issues email goprousergroup@gmail.com

wi-fi button will not turn on/off wi-fi

Discuss the HD3 Black & BacPacs, General, Issues and Trouble Shooting. Please read the Stickies inside before posting

wi-fi button will not turn on/off wi-fi

Postby ozziegirl » Sun Jun 23, 2013 8:58 am

Hello,
I got my Hero 3 last week, downloaded the firmware as of Friday (21 Jun 13).
If I hold down the side wi-fi button for 2 seconds or more - the blue light does not come on.
I can turn on/off wi-fi using the camera settings.
If the wi-fi has been turned on (blue light flashing) then the side wi-fi button will not turn it off.
I can use the android gopro app to control the camera, so the wi-fi works really well.

Many thanks
:)
Margaret
ozziegirl

Re: wi-fi button will not turn on/off wi-fi

Postby OzzieBloke » Sun Jun 23, 2013 11:46 am

Could be a dodgy switch on your camera, by the sounds of it. Probably requires an RMA or exchange.

However, before you do, try cycling the light display settings in the menu. It likely won't fix your problem, but it might be a glitch after updating the firmware. Also, did you do the firmware by manual method (putting on SD card) or by website via USB? Manual method is recommended.
OzzieBloke

Postby ozziegirl » Sun Jun 23, 2013 2:16 pm

OzzieBloke wrote:Could be a dodgy switch on your camera, by the sounds of it. Probably requires an RMA or exchange.

Alas, I got it with my Mastercard points from CBA - have sent them a message about returning it.
I want to set up the gopro in the bush (using android app to check that I had it lined up OK), unattended, for bird photography, so I want as much battery life as possible.
Also, not sure I've kept all the packaging :(

OzzieBloke wrote:However, before you do, try cycling the light display settings in the menu. It likely won't fix your problem, but it might be a glitch after updating the firmware.

Thanks, I tried that, and it seemed to work once that I could turn it off, but then I couldn't get on/off to work at all.

OzzieBloke wrote:Also, did you do the firmware by manual method (putting on SD card) or by website via USB? Manual method is recommended.

I had originally updated using USB, but tried manually, no luck.

Thanks again
:)
Margaret
ozziegirl

Postby steve_t » Sun Jun 23, 2013 3:32 pm

Ozzies everywhere! :p
Try a manual firmware update by copying the firmware files to the card and then starting the GoPro.
For turning Wifi on with the button, I only need to press it momentarily to turn it on. Turning off is holding the button til it blinks 7 times.

Perhaps flick GoPro support a message. Previously, some people had reported having to manually update the firmware a number of times before it successfully updated properly. Not sure what it is with the wifi firmware but it seems the one that is most easily corrupted or not installed properly
steve_t

Postby suryaprihadi » Sun Jun 23, 2013 9:51 pm

Re install the complete firmware again and the wifi firmare gets re-install again.
Sometimes the WF firmare did not load properly
I am a Forum Sponsor not because I sell stuff.
I owe my knowledge to this forum and I would like to do some payback.
suryaprihadi
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Postby mikerb » Mon Jun 24, 2013 5:53 am

I suspect Steve T has hit on the problem. To switch wifi on with the side button you just press it momentarily. If you hold it down waiting for the blue lights to flash it thinks you are trying to switch it off! To switch off, hold the button down until the blue lights flash rapidly.
mikerb

Postby ozziegirl » Mon Jun 24, 2013 1:34 pm

mikerb wrote:I suspect Steve T has hit on the problem. To switch wifi on with the side button you just press it momentarily. If you hold it down waiting for the blue lights to flash it thinks you are trying to switch it off! To switch off, hold the button down until the blue lights flash rapidly.

Yes, Steve_T, us Aussies are taking over the world.

After 1st and 2nd attempts, I had to turn wi-fi on using the menu, but could then turn it off using the button, but that was only the once. Otherwise the button had no effect.

It took *3* manual updates for the wi-fi button to work :)

Thanks everyone.
:) :)
Margaret
ozziegirl

Postby steve_t » Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:29 pm

Hooray for it working :) Boo for it taking multiple attempts to get it to work :/
steve_t

Postby peter nap » Wed Jun 26, 2013 1:18 pm

I had the same problem with one of my Blacks last night. Had to reflash 4 times.
peter nap

Postby ozziegirl » Thu Jun 27, 2013 4:21 pm

Mine will not work at all now, so back to doing x number of manual upgrades :(

peter nap wrote:I had the same problem with one of my Blacks last night. Had to reflash 4 times.
ozziegirl

Return to HD3 Hero Black Edition