Welcome
Welcome to goprouser

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you full access to view most discussions and access.. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today! Any issues email goprousergroup@gmail.com

Burning on a blu-ray

PC related

Burning on a blu-ray

Postby Dniss » Tue Sep 17, 2013 3:19 pm

Hiya everyone!

Can anyone suggest an authoring software to create blu-ray for the gopro files?

I'd love to get the best resolution possible and be able to play my video anywhere right from a blu-ray disc player. Right now, the only place they really play well is on my pc. Not very conveniant.

Cheers!

Den
Dniss

Re: Burning on a blu-ray

Postby steve_t » Tue Sep 17, 2013 3:58 pm

Youtube?
Blu-ray authoring can be done via most NLE. Sony Movie Studio Platinum and Powerdirector Ultra are good, low-cost ones
steve_t

Postby mikerb » Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:38 am

Use a NLE as STEVET has said. The only problem is that BR discs are not cheap and you will also need a BR burner ( unlikely your PC is equipped with anything other than the standard optical drive). A Decent burner ( and there is a lot of rubbish out there) will cost about £150 sterling. In order to justify using a BR disc you need to burn dozens of average size videos onto it. At the end of the day BR is really only cost effective as an archive or for a film length video ( which is going to take hours to burn!).
The compromise I use is to create videos for my PC and then convert a copy to MKV format onto a USB memory stick. My BR player has a USB port so that is how I play my videos on an HD TV. I can see no difference in quality between the quality of my PC copy and the USB memory stick copy. What is really good is that I can keep adding videos to the stick ( I get about 20 videos on a 16GB stick which costs about £12 sterling) and when it comes playing them it is a simple menu driven selection. far easier than using either DVD or BR discs.
mikerb

Postby Dniss » Wed Sep 18, 2013 4:08 pm

Thanks for replying. Highly appreciated.

steve_t wrote:Youtube?
Blu-ray authoring can be done via most NLE. Sony Movie Studio Platinum and Powerdirector Ultra are good, low-cost ones

Youtube is giving me crappy results. Nothing like the GoPro demo I have seen out there. I'm a little confused about this. I did upload max resolution file format.

After reading a bit longer on the subject I realized that I'm unclear about more things than expected, like the resolutions I can actually achieve taking into account the equipment I have and the medium I use.

Blu-ray appeared to be the only way to go since it can achieve almost 2k resolution, right?

The Sony software is just a hundred bucks. Not bad, I already have blanks and a good blu-ray burner.

Basically, I'm just looking for the best way to play my video on a tv (or screen) besides hooking a computer.
Last edited by Dniss on Wed Sep 18, 2013 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dniss

Postby Dniss » Wed Sep 18, 2013 4:19 pm

Thanks for your reply!

mikerb wrote:Use a NLE as STEVET has said.

Not sure what this is.

mikerb wrote:The only problem is that BR discs are not cheap and you will also need a BR burner ( unlikely your PC is equipped with anything other than the standard optical drive). A Decent burner ( and there is a lot of rubbish out there) will cost about £150 sterling. In order to justify using a BR disc you need to burn dozens of average size videos onto it. At the end of the day BR is really only cost effective as an archive or for a film length video ( which is going to take hours to burn!).

I'm a little puzzled about your comment. I don't mean any disrespect but I have a blu-ray burner, use it all the time for backups. And 50GB -R are about 3$ a piece. I don't find that expensive by any stretch if I can fit my whole vacation on it. And it takes about 40 min to burn 50 gigs. Am I missing something here?

mikerb wrote:The compromise I use is to create videos for my PC and then convert a copy to MKV format onto a USB memory stick. My BR player has a USB port so that is how I play my videos on an HD TV. I can see no difference in quality between the quality of my PC copy and the USB memory stick copy. What is really good is that I can keep adding videos to the stick ( I get about 20 videos on a 16GB stick which costs about £12 sterling) and when it comes playing them it is a simple menu driven selection. far easier than using either DVD or BR discs.

That's a very good suggestion!! May I ask the brand of you br player, and what max res are u achieving this way? The Sony Movie Studio Platinum is 100$. Not too bad for a far more portable solution, don't you think?

Thanks!

Den
Dniss

Postby steve_t » Wed Sep 18, 2013 5:16 pm

NLE = non-linear editor. That's video editors like Sony Movie Studio and Powerdirector as well as Final Cut Pro, Adobe Premiere, Cineform Studio 2.0 (doesn't burn blu-rays), Sony Vegas, etc etc.

I have an LG blu-ray player and it also plays assorted media of a USB flash drive. I also have a WDTV Live which you can plug flash drives or USB external hard drives etc in and it will also play a lot of different format media.
Also, a lot of new TVs have USB ports and can play media directly.

Youtube should give reasonable quality and Vimeo can be used to get higher quality video. Both can accept 1920x1080p (and higher). They are easily the easiest way to store and share videos as your videos can be viewed on computers, new TVs (with internet connection) and mobile devices.
steve_t

Postby stevepud » Wed Sep 18, 2013 5:31 pm

You could just get a cheap networked media player.
I use a Raspberry Pi to watch any movies I've got stored on my NAS. it will play 1080 no problem,
If you cant get a network cable to the Pi, just go wifi.
stevepud

Postby mikerb » Thu Sep 19, 2013 7:08 am

As usual Us prices are somewhat different to those here in the UK !! At the moment you are burning file copies to BR as a backup......that is completely different to burning a video onto a BR disc!! My BR player is a Panasonic......it has a USB port but the only formats it recognises are those from the film rather than video world ( unfortunately they still operate in different modes)..so MKV or DIV X. I use freeware to convert my MPG4 edited videos to a MKV format. I can specify all the usual elements such as resolution/fps/bit rate etc. to be honest I have absolutely no idea whether the result is the same graphic quality as BR because the BR player upgrades output even for DVDs. All I can say is that the end product is stunning and leaves me in no hurry to want to go the BR disc route with all the hassle that involves.

The key to getting decent You Tube quality ( for those of us with standard consumer upload facilities to YT......unlike the big organisations who have a completely different deal) is to understand what YT expects to see and how it handles what you upload. Using different rendering codecs makes a difference, not overcooking bit rate makes a difference, maintaining the same res from shooting through post to render makes a difference. There is lots of advice on videos on YT for optimum settings for upload to YT.
mikerb

Postby Dniss » Thu Sep 19, 2013 3:11 pm

steve_t wrote:NLE = non-linear editor. That's video editors like Sony Movie Studio and Powerdirector as well as Final Cut Pro, Adobe Premiere, Cineform Studio 2.0 (doesn't burn blu-rays), Sony Vegas, etc etc.

I have an LG blu-ray player and it also plays assorted media of a USB flash drive. I also have a WDTV Live which you can plug flash drives or USB external hard drives etc in and it will also play a lot of different format media.
Also, a lot of new TVs have USB ports and can play media directly.

Youtube should give reasonable quality and Vimeo can be used to get higher quality video. Both can accept 1920x1080p (and higher). They are easily the easiest way to store and share videos as your videos can be viewed on computers, new TVs (with internet connection) and mobile devices.

Thanks for the info!

I will try again on youtube then. I must have done something wrong.
Dniss

Postby Dniss » Thu Sep 19, 2013 3:12 pm

stevepud wrote:You could just get a cheap networked media player.
I use a Raspberry Pi to watch any movies I've got stored on my NAS. it will play 1080 no problem,
If you cant get a network cable to the Pi, just go wifi.

I might look into that too. Thanks for the reply.
Dniss

Next

Return to PC