Welcome
Welcome to goprouser

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you full access to view most discussions and access.. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today! Any issues email goprousergroup@gmail.com

problems converting time lapse photos to video

This Old Forum unlocked but ARCHIVED.

problems converting time lapse photos to video

Postby phil59 » Sat Jun 23, 2012 9:20 pm

Hello,
I have taken aprox 7300 time lapse pictures with my gopro and am trying to turn it into a video with a the latest windows movie maker.
I have purchased a new computer with the following,
Core i5 2450M,2.5 ghz
nvida geforce 610 2GB graphics
4 gig ram (upgraded today to 8 gig)
windows 7 premium
750 gig had drive with 600 gig free space.

The time lapse photos file size is 4.5 gig which windows movie maker takes 1 minute 15 seconds (some times longer) to load,
I have the time frame for each photo set at .03 seconds (30 frames a second) if I click the play button for a trial run the view screen runs for a short time then freezes then starts then freezes and starts repetitively till movie maker freezes.

when i try to save the movie using the (windows) recommended file, it processes for about 50 minutes then a dialog box appears saying there is insufficient memory, save in a smaller format.
my questions are,
is movie maker capable of doing this, if so how long should it take to process
could I have issues with my computer, if so what might the problem be
Any suggestions??

Phil
phil59

Re: problems converting time lapse photos to video

Postby vanakaru » Sat Jun 23, 2012 10:13 pm

I do not know much of windows but I would reduce the pictures to the size of your movie first. 4.5mb for one frame is too much(7300x4.5=32.85gb). Hardly any consumer machine win or mac can drag this size movie file of huge 3840x2880 resolution.
vanakaru

Postby mikemayer813 » Sat Jun 23, 2012 10:59 pm

I have similar (but slightly different) issue. My timelapes (regardless of size) will appear very choppy, skip frames, and freeze for short times if played back in whatever I am using to process the timelapse into video. Once it is output to a fully processed file, there are no problems with it at all. Tryed all sizes, and my computer is very capable.....i7 core, 3.4Ghz, tons of memory....maybe it's a software issue.
mikemayer813

Postby martcerv » Sun Jun 24, 2012 12:59 am

Have you tried importing a time-lapse via cineform studio? I use adobe Premiere pro but I have tried the Cineform method just to see how it works, it may work better for you then windows movie maker which I have never even opened before. :mrgreen:

What you need to do is open Cineform studio and then,

1. Click import file.

2. Selecting only the first file in the sequence and select open to import it.

3. Highlight this file once its been imported and then click import files again.

4. Select all the other files in the folder, you can click inside the folder then press "CTRL A" which will select all files in the folder.

5. Un-select your first image which you can do by holding "CTRL" and left click this file.

6. Once you have all the remaining images selected click open and these will be imported.

7. You will see in your imported image file how many frames are in your time-lapse sequence.

8. Click advanced settings at the bottom of cineform to select your output format resolution and frame rate.

9. Add clip to conversion list and then start conversion.

Once the conversion is done you will have your time-lapse sequence ready to go in stage 2 as usual and go from there like a regular video file.
Forum Moderator

Support our Sponsors - Click the Links
Surya Prihadi - Advanced GoPro Tester
Snake River Prototyping - BlurFix - NEW PRODUCTS OUT NOW Nov 2013
Sports Camera Hire & Sales Australia
HydroRemote Cable Systems
Hobby Mounts UK
Outdoor Equipment Rentals
Hardened Power Systems
Cam-Do
Fotodiox Pro - NEW PRODUCTS OUT NOW Feb 2014
martcerv
Forum Mod

Postby mikemayer813 » Sun Jun 24, 2012 2:35 am

I tried Premier Pro and Cineform......had the same issues in either one, but once processed everthing was ok with the output file. No experience here with Windows movie maker either.
mikemayer813

Postby phil59 » Sun Jun 24, 2012 10:27 am

Thanks
Downloaded cineform and time lapse is working better, and I will need to learn program,

one issue at present when viewing every 12th photo is a different non sequential frame

Phil
phil59

Postby peter nap » Wed Jun 27, 2012 11:15 pm

I've never had much luck with Cineform but PP works like a charm. Not sure how you're doing it but I rename all the files to insure they are sequential, in PP go to the import window and select the first file, there is a check box in the lower left corner that says something like all numbered files, check it and press open. All done in about ten seconds.
peter nap

Postby mikek7 » Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:55 am

I use Picasa - works like a charm and quick as well
mikek7

Postby pixelpaulart » Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:43 am

Software called 'Time-Lapse' from the mac app store works great! It's only $5
pixelpaulart

Postby fidjit » Thu Jun 28, 2012 11:42 am

Images to Video is a nice freeware program that has heaps of options.
fidjit

Next

Return to Old Forum Topics - HD1, HD2 & HD3